Eating two few calories

Options
I've been completing my food log and "most" days I'm
Under my food limit - now it tells me this will hinder my weight loss but I'm eating 3 meals a day and still having my coffee - I it
Just a disclaimer that has to go on the site or am
I really making things worse any help
and advice would be appreciated
Thanks Stacy x

* sorry for the grammar mistake above :blushing:

Replies

• hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    TWO few calories?

anyway. I only eat about 800 calories. My metabolism has not slowed down (according to the electrical scale)
    I have been losing a lot of weight.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    It depends on how many calories you are staying under by? Plus, how many calories MFP has allocated to you. Anything under 1200 is really not good for you. Not just because of "Starvation Mode" but your body needs calories for basic psychological and physiological functioning.

How has you weight loss been so far? If you are not being successful...try and increase your calories to 1200.

Natalie ~xXx~
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to add in a handful of nuts or a fruit smoothie for some extra calories.

Many health professionals suggest that when you eat less than 1200 calories a day, your body imagines that you must be low on food! The body reacts to this food shortage by storing fats and calories for later use. This causes a stalemate on the scale, or sometimes even a gain.

So yep, if you eat too little, you won't lose weight. If you eat too much, you will gain weight! So eating somewhere between 1200 - 1500 a day will likely show a loss for you, but I'm not certain of your details. :smile: When you click "MY HOME" it will show

Daily goal - Food eaten + Exercise logged = Net calories

You want your NET calories to be around 1200

so if your goal is 1200, and you eat 1200, but then you exercise and burn 300 calories, your body see that you have only given it 900 calories and reacts with starvation mode, what I explained above. So try to add in a few extra calories and do your best to balance your day at your NET goal! :happy:
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    It all depends on what your limit is, how far under your limit you are most days, and what the calories you are eating in those 3 meals consist of.

If you're limit is 1,200 calories and most days you go several hundred calories under, you can mess up your metabolism and yes, hinder your weight loss.

Since I can't see your diary, I can't comment specifically, but make sure you are eating good foods, fresh/frozen fruit/veggies, whole grains, dairy... not a lot of canned/processed/fast foods. And make sure you are drinking your water and watching your sodium intake. You might want to turn sodium on in your food diary. You'll be amazed at how much sodium is in just about EVERYTHING!

Check out the link in my signature. There's a lot of good info in there.

Just remember, the weight didn't go on overnight, so it won't come off quickly either. But with some effort and a little self-control, it can be done!!!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight at 800calories a day but it'll soon go back on as soon as you even slightly increase your cals.

Plus, picking someone up on their spelling/grammar is hardly going to encourage them to stick to these forums is it? :ohwell:
  • stacy85
    stacy85 Posts: 10
    Options
    TWO few calories?

anyway. I only eat about 800 calories. My metabolism has not slowed down (according to the electrical scale)
    I have been losing a lot of weight.

Sorry for the grammar mistake
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I agree, you shouldn't go under 1200/day- it's hard on your body and metabolism (you dont want your body in "starvation mode", saving fat because it thinks it'll need it to survive). It's best to spread your usual three meals/day out to 5 or even 6 smaller meals/snacks a day (i.e. small breakfast, small 100cal-ish snack mid morning, lunch under 500cal, another 100cal-ish snack and dinner under 500cal. and then another snack if you eat dinner early.) The goal is to keep you metabolism going and working all day.
  • stacy85
    Options
    Hi there,
    It depends on how many calories you are staying under by? Plus, how many calories MFP has allocated to you. Anything under 1200 is really not good for you. Not just because of "Starvation Mode" but your body needs calories for basic psychological and physiological functioning.

How has you weight loss been so far? If you are not being successful...try and increase your calories to 1200.

Natalie ~xXx~

Hi - thanks for the response -that was quick. It has allocated me 1200 - I'm only under by 50 calories or so sometimes , just didn't want my hard work to go to waste x x
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight at 800calories a day but it'll soon go back on as soon as you even slightly increase your cals.

Plus, picking someone up on their spelling/grammar is hardly going to encourage them to stick to these forums is it? :ohwell:

I have had the unfortunate experience of eating too few calories and losing a lot of weight... then as soon as I started eating just a little more to maintain I put it all back on and I am now trying to lose it again and let me tell you it is tough the second time around. Not to mention I am a fairly athletic person but looking back at the skinny me pictures I look like there isn't any muscle (which I think was due to my extremely restrictive caloric diet)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think at about 50 calories under you will see success. Try to keep it around that number :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. The general rule is to get at least 1200 net calories per day, but I know that I need at least 200 more than that in order to keep losing weight. Some people can eat less than 1200 a day and can lose weight and still stay healthy. If you're within 100 calories of your goal, are losing weight and aren't tired or feeling bad, you're probably fine. But, it's worth it to experiment with your daily calories a little bit to find your optimal number of calories. Do what you've been doing for a couple of weeks and if you're happy with your results, stick with it. If you're not happy try increasing your calories by 100-200 to see what happens. And make sure you're eating exercise calories too.

If you have trouble eating enough try to add a little bit more food to each meal and try to work in a couple of snacks.
  • stacy85
    Options
    If you can, try to add in a handful of nuts or a fruit smoothie for some extra calories.

Many health professionals suggest that when you eat less than 1200 calories a day, your body imagines that you must be low on food! The body reacts to this food shortage by storing fats and calories for later use. This causes a stalemate on the scale, or sometimes even a gain.

So yep, if you eat too little, you won't lose weight. If you eat too much, you will gain weight! So eating somewhere between 1200 - 1500 a day will likely show a loss for you, but I'm not certain of your details. :smile: When you click "MY HOME" it will show

Daily goal - Food eaten + Exercise logged = Net calories
    Thank you x
    You want your NET calories to be around 1200

so if your goal is 1200, and you eat 1200, but then you exercise and burn 300 calories, your body see that you have only given it 900 calories and reacts with starvation mode, what I explained above. So try to add in a few extra calories and do your best to balance your day at your NET goal! :happy:
  • mommamorris
    mommamorris Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ok so are u suppose to be eating ur exercise calories then? I am suppose to eat 1460 cals a day without exercise. I exercised today and burned 633 cals- so i should always have net being 1200 at least?
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have 1200 calories minimum as well, plus I excercise most days. Today I ate 1100, worked off 300 so my NET is around 800 right now. In my fitness profile it says my target NET is 750 as my goal is 2lbs a week. But even with my NET around 1000 I still loose 1-2lbs a week. So as long as you excercise & stay above 1200 cal & under your cal goal you will lose weight
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    50 calories is fine :wink:

You've received some good advice here...keep up the good work and remember that you CAN eat some of you exercise calories back.

Listen to your body..it will tell you what it needs!

Good Luck :wink:
  • stacy85
    Options
    So to clarify on sunday I burnt around 1000 calories a
    So should I eat 2200 or 1200 sorry for all the questions just trying to get to grips x x
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    ok so are u suppose to be eating ur exercise calories then? I am suppose to eat 1460 cals a day without exercise. I exercised today and burned 633 cals- so i should always have net being 1200 at least?

This is a tricky subject and causes disputes on the forums. I would try and make sure that you have taken in 1200 calories throughout the day, regardless of exercise or not. The only great thing is you can always eat some or all of them back. But, I would suggest getting those 1200 calories in.

The calories you burn through exercise are NOT the calories that you have put into your body that day. That food is still being digested.

Always aim for 1200! :wink:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Options
    So to clarify on sunday I burnt around 1000 calories a
    So should I eat 2200 or 1200 sorry for all the questions just trying to get to grips x x

There is no right or wrong answer. If you feel hungry after eating your 1200 calories then you can always have more to fill you up. Some days you may find you don't need any extra.

It wouldnt hurt staying at 1200cals in my honest opinion.

The way I see it is...as long as you have your 1200 cals supplied in vitamin and nutrient rich foods, you are providing what your body needs. You wont burn the calories off that are in your tummy or the ones you're going to put in. So you are still safe with your intake.

However, if you're hungry, then EAT! :flowerforyou:
  • stacy85
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice X x