School food help?

Options
Hello :)

I have to eat school lunch. It's cheaper then making my own lunch and bringing it each day. But I'm having trouble with what there is to eat there that is healthy. Which is not like anything. We usually have a basket of something with fries, and a daily burger basket with like mcdonalds fries.

I'm just wondering if you guys went through High School and found some tips to stay away from the calories but by still eating enough?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My daughter (age 17) and not overweight to start with started bringing her lunch last year instead of eating school lunch. She lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. She always tried to pick the healthiest choices available. I would say this is a time when spending the extra money is going to be worth packing your lunch. My daughter usually brings leftovers from the previous night's supper (just smaller portions), a non fat yogurt and some fruit. It probably does cost a bit more, but when I look at the options, I see it as an investment in her future health.
  • kitchentales
    Options
    Are you SURE it's cheaper to buy food every day rather than bring a lunch? Yes, it's probably cheaper to buy food that is bad for you every day. And I know groceries can be a big expense in one trip, but think of how long it lasts. It might cost me three times as much to get everything to make a sandwich for lunch rather than stop at Subway, but those ingredients last for 5 days, whereas Subway lasts for one.

I would sit down and do the math, and go from there. Pick the healthier take-out options near your school if you're going to continue buying lunch every day. If you Google them, most places have nutritional information posted. Or you can walk in and ask if they have an nutritional info. Most places are really good about making it available.

Good luck!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do they offer salad? Try to get a salad with a lowfat protein, some fruit and made some lowfat milk. Avoid anything fried. Avoid white carbs, i.e. burger bun, and try bringing your lunch a couple of times a week instead of everyday. That would be a start. I know how hard it is. I work at a school and the easiest way to gain 10lbs in a few weeks is to eat in our cafeteria everyday. Sad, but true.

Also, try to encourage the powers that be at your school to serve healthier choices. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak. :) Good luck!
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My highschool offered customizable salads, and customizable hoagies which could be altered to make a lower cal or healthier meal.

That said, my favorite lunch was a bag of popcorn, three hot chocolate chip cookies, and a diet coke. Not filling and I would be angry and hungry by 2:30.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    If you really can't bring food from home, stick to the healthiest options. Also just focus on what you can control. If you can't eat healthy while at school, eat healthy when you're home, which includes breakfast and dinner. If you find yourself over your calories, start exercising regularly so you can afford to have those extra cals during lunch.

I know what it's like... my high school's food was complete junk, I got by by just eating small things.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I teach and have for many years. I have to pay $3.00 a day if I eat there, that is way alot! I have packed for years....I plan ahead and pack the night before, that way I know what I'm eating and what I am taking in my lunch. I spend abut $1.50 a day packing lunch on average. Sometimes nothing if I'm taking leftovers which I budgeted in the dinner menu.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I agree, but if money is really tight in her household bringing her own may not be an option at all. If that is the case then only eat half of the burger and none of the fries maybe. Try to at least bring a piece of fruit and drink some water. My kids school has a bigger selection and even had a small salad bar, but the cafeteria was so crowded that they let the kids out of vending machines in the hallway. Make sure to eat a filling breakfast so you're not overly hungry at lunchtime. But do try to bring your own if at all possible. Good luck!:happy: [ quote]
    My daughter (age 17) and not overweight to start with started bringing her lunch last year instead of eating school lunch. She lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. She always tried to pick the healthiest choices available. I would say this is a time when spending the extra money is going to be worth packing your lunch. My daughter usually brings leftovers from the previous night's supper (just smaller portions), a non fat yogurt and some fruit. It probably does cost a bit more, but when I look at the options, I see it as an investment in her future health.
    [/quote]
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I agree with kacarter1017. Making your lunch is way better. I remember eating tons of junk food in HS! Take left overs or make an easy salad. You can also prepare things in advance for the week and freeze them until the night before and thaw them out. I'm sorry it seems to be so tough for you, but if you learn how to eat healthy now, you will be a step ahead. Also, another option, if you don't have after school stuff is just to have snack stuff all day long until you get home, like carrots, nuts or fruit.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should re-consider packing a lunch. My son is 16 and he gained a lot of weight when he was buying school lunches. Plus he has no self control when it comes to food. LOL He would rather eat something that tastes good versus something that is healthy. But when he takes his lunch it's usually leftovers - today he took minestrone soup with turkey meatballs, banana, apple, yogurt and water. He never has leftovers and has lost weight from taking his own lunch. We've actually saved a bit of money by him & his sister packing their own lunches, plus i never have to worry about what they are taking cuz I already know!

Oh and I do have them gather their items and have one shelf in the fridge where they put their lunch stuff so they can grab it first thing in the morning, so we're not crunched for time during the morning madness.
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    There is so much bad food that they offer in school lunches. Do you guys have a salad bar option? Most schools I know of had that available. Also are you drinking water or like sodas with your lunch meal? That would cut some calories too. Really look into the cost of packing your lunch for the week though. That will always be the best option :)
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool in a Middle School, I REFUSE to eat there. It is soooooo unhealthy. I keep hoping that Jammie Oliver's Food Revolution would hit all schools.

I take leftover suppers or simple LF PB& J's on WW bread or salads. Always have Fat Free Yogurt.

Think more about this, if you can.

Good Luck!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I remember that when I was in school I was on a reduced price option, and lunch for me was under a dollar. I can sympathize with the OP - sometimes, especially if you are low income, it's hard to pass up the inexpensive lunch options!

So, suggestions. Do they offer ANY veggies for the burger? Ask for extra. Remove and discard bun, cut up half of the burger, mix with the veggies. On the side, mix mustard and ketchup, and add a little bit over the top. Burger salad - not the healthiest, still, but better than eating the entire burger + bun + fries.

Do they offer fruit as a side? No matter how gross it looks, eat it FIRST. If its canned in some sort of liquid, don't eat the liquid - it's usually corn syrup.

Make friends with/trade with people who don't want their fruit.

Also, talk to your parents about buying something like bananas for you to take as a supplement to the school lunch. Bananas are usually the cheapest fresh fruit you can get, and while they are a little higher in fat than say, an apple, they're still fruit and can be very filling.
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    Thanks!

School is only 1.80 here so it's really cheap for how much we get.
    I'll definitely make a no-no for fries and buns. No, my school doesn't offer vegetables except like twice a month with the daily meal. There's the salad, but I think it's like a dollar more or something. I'll look into it.

Thanks for everyone's input so quickly!