New to Spinning

Options
Tonight will be my first night doing a spinning/cycling class (is there a difference?). My fiance thinks I'll love and he insist I at least try it. It starts in about an hour... I'm a little nervous about how intense I'll have to be. We'll see how it goes! Would love any feedback about how to approach the class.

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    ...and I was hoping it was about wool! (I'm a dork.)

Everyone I know who takes spinning classes loves them with a fiery passion that is difficult for me to completely comprehend.
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    IT WIL BE HARD AND YOUR BUTT WILL BE SORE BUT STICK WITH IT FOR AT LEAST 3 CLASS BEFORE U MAK A DECISION ABOUT WEATHER OR NOT U LIKE IT!! I GO 2TIMES A WEEK AND LOVE IT
    !
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I go to Spin class and LOVE it... then again I'm in a very small town and have heard from others that classes in bigger cities are way more tough... but if you keep at it, you'll loose major inches!
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, spin and cycle are the same thing. As a spin instructor, my advice is to take it easy for the first class. Too many people make the mistake of putting too much tension on the bike and tiring themselves out. If you get tired, just pull off the tension and pedal until you feel you can jump back in. Believe me, there will be plenty of people huffing and puffing!! Good luck and let us know how you like it!!
  • zoecas2125
    zoecas2125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love Spin Class! The best advise I can give you, is to make sure you drink plenty of water before class. Also, eat something light about an hour or two before class. Don't worry about what everyone else in class is doing. You are in control of your own bike and it's resistance. Also last but not least, make sure you inform your Instructor that your new to the class. That way they can teach you how to adjust the bike and inform you of the classes lingo.
    And yes, your butt will be sore. It takes a couple of classes to get used too.
    *Don't forget to bring a bottle of water, comfortable clothes that breaths and a towel to sweat into.
    ENJOY!
  • paintedladyrn
    paintedladyrn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would love to try spinning. I live in Henderson, Ky. Does anyone know of a class nearby?
  • rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that you should try something 6 times before you make a decision as to whether you like it or not. I did this with spinning, and I can honestly say that I neither love it or hate it. But I do keep going back b/c it is a great way to burn a lot of calories and I have noticed my hips and butt are smaller. Good luck!
  • Lenig12
    Lenig12 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! The class was great! I did let the instructor know I was new so she could set up my bike properly (thanks for the heads up on that!).

The instructor was great - she really pushes you but lets you know to keep at your comfort level. I loved LOVED the music ... it was easy to picture myself in some movie scene overcoming some huge obstable... climbing a hill, inspiration music blaring .... it was just overall a lot of fun!

Pretty difficult at the start (i couldn't stop staring at the clock!) - then about halfway through everything got a lot better... my energy level went way up and I started feeling great!!! I realy can't wait to go back on Wednesday!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I just started going to Spinning classes a few weeks ago, and I really like it! I was nervous because in the past, most of the fitness classes at my gym kicked my *kitten* but I actually did it fine!

Spinning is good because it's all about you setting the resistance level on the bike yourself, as opposed to you following what the instructor is defining as the "proper level to be". What is a good workout for me, may be too difficult/easy for another, so it's pretty easy to modify.

Glad you liked it :)