Too much protien and fiber???

ElizabethLachney
ElizabethLachney Posts: 11
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Is there such a thing as too much fiber and protein??? MFP is saying im over ... What can I do about this???

Replies

• nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    It might be different for people with different goal. I have always trained to have 1.5g - 2.0 g of protein per pound of body weight.... but this is for someone who does a lot of strength and or cardio endurance. Anyway, assess what your goals are and maybe do a little research in regards to protein. As for fibre, as long as you are drinking a lot of water, there is not harm in being over the fibre suggestion
  • MFP's default settings for protein and fiber are set super low. I eat a lot of protein and I'm ALWAYS over on my fiber. Those 2 things you shouldn't worry about going over.
  • Thank you!!
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    I find the numbers for protein/fiber here to be a bit low. The average woman should have a minimum of 25 grams of fiber a day **a gastro doc told me that we should have closer to 35 grams a day. Good luck if your belly can tolerate that. As for the protein. If you are working out then the basic formula is a to try to get 1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh. That can be alot (it is for me) so I never quite get there but I try to keep it over 100 grams a day anyway. I hope this is helpful.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    You can change your protien, fiber, carb, and fat goals for the day. Just go to the top of the page, when you are on the FOOD page, and hit Settings, and then Goals. Then hit Change goals, at the bottom of that page, and Custom, on the next page. Then you can choose 97g of protien (and 28g of fiber per day) if you like, which will mean you eat less carbs if you want to stay in the calorie limit.
    In other words, your protien and Fiber are in red on the food page because you are using the protien and fiber amounts set up on the basic set up. I hope I explained this well. Have fun with it.
    By the way, if you eat that much protien, then please drink 8 or more glasses of water per day so your kidneys do not get damaged.
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.