Where is the best place to live?

Options
I am applying for an internship to finish my degree. There are internships available in nearly every state!

I have no idea where I want to go as of right now, all i know is that it would be a good thing for me to get out of Wisconsin for a while.

What are the pros and cons of living where you are?

Thanks Pals!:flowerforyou:

~Kelly

Replies

• His_Kelly
    Options
    I am applying for an internship to finish my degree. There are internships available in nearly every state!

I have no idea where I want to go as of right now, all i know is that it would be a good thing for me to get out of Wisconsin for a while.

What are the pros and cons of living where you are?

Thanks Pals!:flowerforyou:

~Kelly
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Austin, TX is a cool place to live! Lots to do and see.
  • Audry
    Audry Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in northwest Kansas - everyone around here is really nice, mostly a farming community (so as you drive down the road people in pick-ups & SUVs are always waving at you) I like our small communities (although the closest mall is 2 1/2 hrs away & the best malls are 4 hrs or more away) because everybody knows everone else

Besides having to travel to shop (I shop mostly online) it is a great place to raise kids - as the community is so "tight" that if your kiddo coughs @9 am you'll know by noon *okay that might be an overstatment, but your kids can't get into trouble without you finding out about it within a day or 2*

Most of the churches are small - so you get a 2nd family just by going once!

We do have a Wal-Mart & a Dillons along with plenty of local shops - so if you need something you can find it in town!

Oh yeah - the best thing is living cost in very low - we bought our 3 bed house on an acre for under $50,000, ready to move in and no remodeling required - we looked at a house similar to the one we purchased in town (it had 3 lots with it so yard wasn't very big) and they were asking $100,000 AND if you are looking to rent the average rent for a 2 bed 1 bath apartment or house is about $290/month

~*~ Best of luck with your internship~*~
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Austin, TX is a cool place to live! Lots to do and see.

That's awesome! Austin was acutally a location we have put some thought into! I am just not sure if I could take the heat :ohwell:

I appreciate everyone's opinions!

Thanks!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Texas is a great place to live. I live in north texas!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have always loved my visits to Hotlanta, Gawga.
  • sheffiej
    Options
    Denver Colorado! Where else can you ride your bike one day and ski/snowboard the next?! Not to mention it's the #1 for Singles, just thought I'd throw that in there. :tongue: :drinker:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have lived a few places and all of them have a good side...
    I was in North Central Texas for 14 years and loved it... Austin is awesome... ex inlaws lived there and I love to go and visit always something fun to do
    Michigan growing up and well still like to visit just cant get stationed there and the Cost of Living is crazy now and days.
    I was in Utah but lived in the Salt Lake Valley so way to polluted for me
    I am stationed in Virginia now and love it... people are nice area has a lot to do.
    Hope that helps
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    Here, here...I Vote for North Texas as well! The DFW metro area is really a great place. Yes, there is heat, but the trade off is well worth it. Plus the cost of living is much lower the further South you go.

89374.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • suzitto
    Options
    I love Nashville!! I am originally from a smaller town in West TN, moved to Nashville about a year and half ago. Its an awesome place to love with lots and lots to do!!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Cost of living is much lower in the southern states,
    Im personally from the northeast and love it here,
    Grew up in NY and moved to MA. The hustle and bustle, the weather, the nightlife, its all great and easy to get caught up in. theres always something to do.
  • Jenshoe
    Options
    I grew up in SW Iowa, I now live in Marin County in Northern CA which is smack in the middle between San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma, It is the most spectacular place if you love the outdoors, culture and fabulous food and wine. The beauty of Mt Tamalpais and the bay never cease to amaze me. Even after 15 years. Many large corporations based in SF. Many companies looking for that mid west work ethic! Down side is it is very expensive housing market.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the USA....
    Come on over to Canada =o) hehe
  • bethany169
    Options
    I also grew up in Wisconsin and ended up in Texas via the US Army. I really like Austin, it is a great college town and reminds me a lot of Madison. However, I cannot stand the heat and even after 5 years here, I'm still not used to it. I really miss the seasons!! But if you're sick of snow in the winter and pretty fall colors, Austin, Texas might be a good place for you!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    For the US- It may be fun for you to try and fun city like Portland or San Fran or even Santa Monica CA

A lot depends on you.....
    Do you want to have a car or not
    What are your weather issues (sounds like heat is one of them) Do you want seasons
    Do you want a place with lots of young people a nightlife?
    Do you like shopping, the outdoors or both?

I have lived lots of places including outside the US and I came back to NC for the mtns and because I always felt at home here- granted if I had a great job offer in Vancouver or Portland I would take it in a minute.

I actually enjoyed living in LA for a while becasue I knew I would never really live there and I just was able to enjoy Cali for a while. I also am a fan of San Fran. I have friends in Seattle who love it.

I am more a west coaster than NYC or Boston....but life is short if you can really go anywhere right now, be daring and go somewhere fun you have always wanted to live and see what it is like. Dont just settle for someplace safe and cookie cutter.... my greatest memories have been my most adventurous ones...but that may just be my personality.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I live in northwest Kansas - everyone around here is really nice, mostly a farming community (so as you drive down the road people in pick-ups & SUVs are always waving at you) I like our small communities (although the closest mall is 2 1/2 hrs away & the best malls are 4 hrs or more away) because everybody knows everone else

Besides having to travel to shop (I shop mostly online) it is a great place to raise kids - as the community is so "tight" that if your kiddo coughs @9 am you'll know by noon *okay that might be an overstatment, but your kids can't get into trouble without you finding out about it within a day or 2*

Most of the churches are small - so you get a 2nd family just by going once!

We do have a Wal-Mart & a Dillons along with plenty of local shops - so if you need something you can find it in town!

Oh yeah - the best thing is living cost in very low - we bought our 3 bed house on an acre for under $50,000, ready to move in and no remodeling required - we looked at a house similar to the one we purchased in town (it had 3 lots with it so yard wasn't very big) and they were asking $100,000 AND if you are looking to rent the average rent for a 2 bed 1 bath apartment or house is about $290/month

~*~ Best of luck with your internship~*~

:cry: I miss Kansas. I used to live in Junction City. Although Washington State is a great place to live I'm sill a Midwestern girl at heart. Born and raised in small town Missouri. :smile:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    As far as a low cost of living and beautiful scenery,as well as 4 distinct seasons, my heart and body are here in the mountains of S.E. Oklahoma. There's not much to offer in this area for a young, single person but if I had to recommend a larger area within the eastern part of the state (where you have the advantages of urban living) try Tulsa. I've been to 48 out of 50 of the states in the US and have been to Mexico, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Bermuda, Cuba and the Virgin Islands but I always come home to rural Oklahoma.
  • Fitztay
    Options
    San Francisco Bay Area (norther california)!

Pros:
    You are driving distance to the ocean and to the maintains. In the winter we ski and in the summer we surf or lounge by the water. I live in a suburb about 20 min from San Francisco so if we want a night on the town (some of the best food in the US is in SF) it's a short drive, or if we want a quiet evening in the hood, there are lots of quaint little down town areas w/in walking distance.
    Everyone is down to earth and very outdoor oriented.
    Lots of jobs. Biotech (Genentec, J&J, ABT), hightech (Google, Microsoft, Apple), retail (Gap HQ is in SF and others), a huge variety of start ups, etc.

Cons:
    It's expensive...but base pay out here is much higher to counter the high cost of living. If you land a job out here, depending on what you do, your relo expenses will be covered.

Once you live in Norther California you'll be remis to ever move any where else!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Denver Colorado! Where else can you ride your bike one day and ski/snowboard the next?! Not to mention it's the #1 for Singles, just thought I'd throw that in there. :tongue: :drinker:

Well, Portland Oregon, ski in the morning, surf in the afternoon, bike anytime.:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Where ever my family is....But I wish they were all in south florida!