Pasta

Options
Hello - I am looking for a lo cal substitute for pasta. Even Dreamfields is 190 cal for 2oz!

Replies

• fcbryant75
    fcbryant75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a good one. The flesh comes out in noodle-like form and you can just mix in a little sauce or olive oil or whatever you like.
  • niki1027
    niki1027 Posts: 29
    Options
    I havent tried it yet but a friend of mine told me about rice pasta. You buy it at the health food store and she says it is delicious and very healthy.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I like shiratake noodles. Spaghetti squash just doesnt look or taste anything like pasta to me.
    Spaghetti squash is a good one. The flesh comes out in noodle-like form and you can just mix in a little sauce or olive oil or whatever you like.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    whole wheat egg noodles are good. Ronzoni Healthy Harvest are only 180 for 2oz (and 2oz really is quite a bit of pasta!)

I like to mix them with some steamed veggies, a can of diced tomatoes, and top with cheese. Very tasty! Can mix in scrambled egg too for different varieties. Whole meal fills me stuffed for between 300 and 400 calories depending on the egg and cheese.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    quinoa
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods 365 Spinach Penne is 200 calories per 6 ounces dry.
  • nonni54
    nonni54 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will stop over the next time I am by the store.
  • nonni54
    Options
    I have been wanting to try that so definitely will now. Thanks again!
  • nonni54
    Options
    Are the shiratake noodles low in calories?
  • nonni54
    Options
    I just checked and they are only 20 calories for 4 oz!!! I think I have seen them before in the produce or natures place sections in the frig. Will check that too!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a kitchen device called a Spirooli. If you google it you can find it online for purchase - I bought mine years ago at an Ace Hardware store of all places!

With this device, you can use it to make "zoodles" - you put on the "large noodle" or "medium noodle" blade, run a whole zucchini through it - and you've got noodle-like food that's PURE ZUCCHINI! I find this to be firmer and more "noodle-like" than spaghetti squash.

I make my "zoodles", then spray a pan with non-stick spray, saute a bit of garlic, add the Zoodles, saute till tender, then serve it with tomato sauce - sprinkle with some shredded Parm or an italian blend of shredded light cheese - fabulous!

:drinker:

Ice

Edited to add this - if a plate of 100% Zoodles is not totally appealing, you can make a plate that's half Zoodles, half whole-wheat pasta - you'll be stuffed and full of half veggies with your pasta!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    They are kind of expensive but I like em andwith that little of calories its a bargain http://www.ehow.com/way_5653237_proper-way-prepare-shirataki-noodles.html.
    I just checked and they are only 20 calories for 4 oz!!! I think I have seen them before in the produce or natures place sections in the frig. Will check that too!