work out about 90 min a day , but still over weight!!

Options
I work out between 70, and 90 min. a day for 5 days. (cardio) sometimes i weight lift.
My husband and i eat the same meals . He looks fantastic. I don't even look like i work out at all!!! I feel so discouraged. What can i do? :sad:

Replies

• adrienechung
    Options
    I work out between 70, and 90 min. a day for 5 days. (cardio) sometimes i weight lift.
    My husband and i eat the same meals . He looks fantastic. I don't even look like i work out at all!!! I feel so discouraged. What can i do? :sad:
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some people are just lucky. Their metabolism allows them to eat what they want. You are learning the hard way that for people like you and I, we have to watch what we eat. Our food intake cannot exceed the energy expanded by exercises and other activities. Same principle holds even if you exercise 5-days a week.

Have you been logging your exercise and food diaries here? Stay within the recommended limits, and you will surely meet your fitness and weight goals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Are you following the recommended (calories in / calories out) guidelines here?
    How long have you been seriously trying to lose weight - and being consistent??
    How much are you trying to lose?
    Have you seen your doctor with these concerns?

cm
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Adriene, my husband and I are just like you guys. Over our 4 yr marriage, we've eaten the same and he certainly doesn't get more exercise than I do, but while he only gained 5 lbs, I've gained 15! As has been said, some people just seem to have a propensity to gain weight or hang onto it....When we were both exercising, he was able to shed weight quickly while I only managed to maintain -_- Basically, it wasn't until I started keeping track of my calories that my weight started to go down.
  • adrienechung
    Options
    13793.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • adrienechung
    Options
    I have not been keeping up my login. I am starting over with my diet and fitness plan. I only hope i do not lose my way again. I am 40 and I just got a pysical from my Dr. He said I may be fat, but my healt h is fine, So I will start this time off right!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great preventative medicine to fat gain. However, it's awful in terms of treatment. No matter how much you exercise, if you're overeating, you won't lose fat. It's calories in vs. calories out.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Are you eating enough? That is ALWAYS where I seem to flop...I dont eat all (or most) of my exercise calories....I know it doesnt make sense, but its proven...you need to eat to lose...
    Try it for just one week and see what happens!! Eat MOST (at least 80%) of your exercise calories...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Never compare yourself with a man. Weight gain and loss are so incredibly different for males vs females. (My hubby and I are in the same boat as you though-- I have to REALLY work to keep up a good shape, and he can slack off, eat what he wants, and never exercise and still be in the same place as me.)

Devote yourself to logging your foods and exercise again. See if you are eating too much or too little. I had always figured that if I used this site religiously and didn't lose weight, I'd have a great record of food and exercise to take to a nutritionist!

Good luck starting back on your weight loss journey! :flowerforyou:
  • tarahenry
    Options
    Hi Adriene
    I am about to turn 40 also and told myself that I was not going to be this weight at 40 I have had my ups and downs but I am on my way I am on the line at 200 and hope to break it when I go to weight watchers tonight. My goal is to hit my 50lbs mark by my b-day Oct 16 and I know that I can do it because I have to many friends pulling for me so you pull for and I will pull for you ok.:smile:

A new friend Tara
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Adriene -

How frustrated you must be!!! I've been at this for a while, so let me give you a couple of things that really helped me...

First - I totally agree with people who say don't compare yourself to a man. Women tend to carry more weight and it's tougher for us to lose it. Sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Second - I also totally agree with the ones who say exercise only does so much - it's calories in and calories out - it's truly that simple (well, you know what I mean). Tracking food honestly and faithfully for even a few weeks will be a real eye opener. I'm constantly shocked by how many calories seemingly healthy foods have. So a big part of the struggle is learning proper portions and healthy, good tasting alternatives to things you like, but are not helping you lose weight.

Third - exercise is a double edged sword. You really do need to work out for good health. I am convinced that exercise is the single most important thing you can do for your body. But the more you exercise, the hungrier you get. Maybe try cutting that 90 minutes back to 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week to see how that helps. You may need to play around with different formulas of calories vs exercise to find one that works for you. I know when I'm training for a long endurance event, I have several weeks of trying to find the right mix in order to maintain. I don't even try to lose as I know I will be way too hungry if I try that as well.

Good luck!! Hope you find what works for you.

Christine
  • lesszmore
    Options
    What kind of things are u eating? yeah its def not fair that guys lose so easy, and it gets harder for us as we get older. But stay strong u can do it!
  • adrienechung
    Options
    Ok, I eat Salmon, chicken, a variety of vegies. My children even like most vegies! I think its the amount i eat. I really need to keep a food jurnal going to be sure that i am not eating to little. In the past I notice that i worked out way to long, but i ate way too little. This is why i like this site!! It gives me about how many calories i ither need, or don't need!! wish me luck this time around.

I think it would be a good idea, tell each other about any workout video we use.
    I love power 90. It did work for me, but I stoped using it because I started going to the gym. The gym is not the place to work out, if you need a circut training routine to stay slim. I just got bigger muscles, but no fat loss.
  • adrienechung
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely support!!!
    Adriene
  • lesszmore
    Options
    i use turbo jam right now.. i saw the commercials for power 90 and hope to one day work up that that! :)

Yeah it really could just be u're portion size. Buy a couple of measuring cups and spoons. I was very surprised to see what an ACTUAL serving was compared to what i was eating.

GL
  • adrienechung
    Options
    Thanks, :bigsmile:
  • adrienechung
    Options
    thanks!!:bigsmile:
  • adrienechung
    Options
    :bigsmile: thanks!!
  • adrienechung
    Options