Having Difficulties with this Exercise Thang!

Options
Ok...so I don't know much about dieting. I guess that's why I'm over 300 lbs and trying to find my thin self before I reach the age of 40. Yes, I'm being as honest as I can be here. 1. You don't know me, 2. I don't have to hear your snickers/laughter, and 3. Maybe, just maybe I'll make some new friends (either seasoned pros who can give me some advice and encouragement or by others who may be in my situation who may not be so forthcoming with their weight).

I simply CANNOT understand this exercise bit of my wellness regime. Yeah, yeah...I know (calories in needs to be less than calories out to lose weight). That makes SENSE. But excuse me...I'M SUPPOSED TO EAT BACK THE CALORIES I BURN THROUGH EXERCISE? What the heck!! I'm on a 1400 calorie diet yet after my exercise today, mfp says I should eat 2399!!!! Ok...MFP actually says my caloric intake should be 1720 but I'm doing 1400. But even if I go by MFP, that's 2399 calories I should consume! I've lost 21 lbs so far. I've even had to pull out a smaller pair of jeans because my others were about to fall off me.

It just seems like if I eat that many calories, maybe I'll be UNDER 200 by the time I'm 70! So please...enlighten me. I am in this for the long haul. I want to be the pretty woman that I know I can be though NONE of this makes sense. Thanks for reading.

Angela

Replies

• melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When you signed up for MFP, and you entered what type of lifestyle you have, it already calculated the estimated number of calories that you burn throughout the day just living your lifestyle, so you are burning more calories than just what you burn during exercise, which is why you should eat your burned calories back, you'll still have a deficit because of the other calories you burned simply living your life. If you don't exercise one day, and you only eat your allotted amount of calories, you still burned your "living" calories, which is why MFP gives you a recommended amount of calories to take in. Hope that makes sense!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Hi, I like your honesty. I'm 51 and even though I have lost weight and friends tell me I'm looking good, I know to strangers all they see is a fat lady. Anywaysss, about the numbers, its such a big debate, but I figure do what works for you. If you are losing weight within a life style that you are happy with, then stick with it. I have weigh in tomorrow and am sure I put on this week. Had such a good weight loss last week that I sabotaged myself this week, have to learn not to reward myself with food. Friend me if you like for mutual support.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Think of it as you're getting the train moving.

If you exercise and expend 300 calories and you eat 300 calories to replace them, then you're body is doing something instead of staying in stand by.

The calorie deficit chosen by MFP is quite large to begin with. You don't want to go much lower than it.
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    so far i've been getting crap for saying it from people who think they know best but.. as someone trying to lose weight and become healthy... i just ignore that extra and stick to my intake that i've set for myself.. and its been working. i'm not trying to maintain a weight i'm trying to lose it and eating it all back after exercising never worked for me just ignore it if its not working for you. at least at first ... its hard to lose weight.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    so far i've been getting crap for saying it from people who think they know best but.. as someone trying to lose weight and become healthy... i just ignore that extra and stick to my intake that i've set for myself.. and its been working. i'm not trying to maintain a weight i'm trying to lose it and eating it all back after exercising never worked for me just ignore it if its not working for you. at least at first ... its hard to lose weight.

Very good advice. Do what works, just don't lose too quickly.

Some days I end up with 500+ calories left and it feels wrong to eat that back. I worked hard to burn those calories, I want that deficit to work! But, I know that too much of a deficit for too long will hit me hard and make me tired and get injured.

I'm gradually increasing my daily calorie target. I want to lose 1kg (2.2 pounds) per week and no more.
  • Ohladyofavalon1972
    Ohladyofavalon1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input and advice. I think for a while I'm going to try to have a deficit just so I can see a faster weight loss, then maybe mix it up a bit. Tonight I had about a 500 calorie deficit but I have eaten and feel satisfied. I just can't eat anymore. Again, thanks for your help.

~Angela