Best shoes for Zumba?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good shoe for Zumba? I have fallen arches or flat feet and need something with good arch support. thanks for your help!

Replies

• pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my zumba instructor recommends cross-trainers. but if you need good arch support, i'd recommend going to a specialty running store where they will watch you run and recommend a shoe based on your arch, whether you pronate, etc.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have 100% flat feet. Zero arch. I wear the same cross trainers to zumba as I do for the elliptical or body pump. Mine are Avias, but everyone’s foot is different. I do find that i will get burning arch or foot pain, if I do not wear good socks, with extra support/knitting across teh arch region.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have bad feet, they hurt when I run,do Zumba anything. So I ordered dance shoes.They have a split sole. The brand name is Leo's, I ordered them from Discount dance online.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thank you all I was wondering the same thing I do zumba 2x a week
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet too, but it doesn't seem to cause me much trouble. I was wearing regular sneaks, but I found it hard on my hips and knees because they wanted to stick the the floor when I wanted to slide or pivot. I just bought the Nike Musique shoes at the suggestion of my instructor, they are treadless and have a nice little circle thing-y (technical term :P) on the ball of my foot to turns and such. I'll let you know how they work out
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,264 Member
    Options
    I have bad feet, they hurt when I run,do Zumba anything. So I ordered dance shoes.They have a split sole. The brand name is Leo's, I ordered them from Discount dance online.

How do the dance shoes differ from wearing a cross trainer or running shoe when doing Zumba? Do they give good arch support and cushion? Maybe that is the answer for me too because my running shoes aren't too comfortable for Zumba.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    bump
  • jrbanta
    Options

Did you order your regular shoe size or go up a half size? How do you think they fit? Very curious because I think I'll copy your idea and get dance shoes too. Please let me know... Thanks!
  • akamaki
    akamaki Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I love dance sneakers. There's nothing better when you need flexibility and less bulk for dancing and lots of movement. However I'm not sure how they'd be on a flat-footed person. :x They tend to run with a high arch, and people are sometimes surprised at how they feel. If you're going this road, maybe check some out at a local dancewear shop to see if you like them? There may be some accommodating brands out there. Maybe they'll be perfect. :)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was trying the Nike Musiques and they still hurt my feet so I finally got Asics Gel Fusion 5 and they are awesome!!! They are similar to the Nike Shox just not as expensive :)
    I got my regular shoe size in them as well and they are great for all the Zumba moves.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

Did you order your regular shoe size or go up a half size? How do you think they fit? Very curious because I think I'll copy your idea and get dance shoes too. Please let me know... Thanks!

I bought Leo's in a half size larger and returned them for my normal size. My regular cross-trainers would cause my calves to burn too much while doing Zumba and these shoes are perfect! I bought mine through Amazon.
  • daisy71
    daisy71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I have recently started Zumba and my instructor recommended dance shoes. this allows for easier moves across the floor when slides and turns.
  • Blondejones00
    Options
    I am a Zumba Woman, ASICS!!. Chant with me. Every 3-4 months I buy a new pair because I take Zumba 4 times a week. ASICS are the best shoe, and I have tried every shoe out there. Nike Shox I have found break down very quickly and don't give your arch support.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Right now I'm wearing an Asics running shoe with gel support. They are not always comfortable for me doing Zumba. I'm wondering if I should order the Leo's and try them out. I've been doing Zumba once a week but in April and May i signed up for two nights per week. Love it! I'll order my size and see how they fit. Thanks for all the info...
  • meghb915
    meghb915 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been wearing running shoes to Zumba but lately my feet hurt. My teacher said dance shoes or cross-trainers with circles on the bottom - those allow for more lateral and spinning moves. I'm on the hunt and I usually love Asics and I've heard good things about Ryka.
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you have bad arches do NOT use the split sole dance shoes. Ask me how I know! :) The Nike Musiques and such are OK for bad arches if you can add an insole/orthotic, otherwise stay away form them, too. My feet are too wide for them. I am currently wearing Ryka Transition model w/ my orthotic, but I may have to go back to a cross-trainer for more forefoot support.

You can wear your regular cross-trainers and just cover the ball of the foot w/ duct tape so you can spin/pivot/etc. Or, you can buy these slip-on things: http://www.slip-ons.net/ .

If you can sew, there are online instructions to make your own, too. http://www.northerncheapskate.com/2011/08/how-to-make-shoe-slips-for-zumba-class/
  • judyellis1
    Options
    Running shoes are designed for forward movement, not side-to-side movement like you would do during Zumba. I wear cross trainers that have extra lateral support (my ankles tend to roll over). I tried the Nike musique and another dance shoe and it just wasn't enough support on the sides of the shoe for me. I do pronate when I walk/run. Currently I am wearing an Asics shoe and am shopping for a replacement pair. I will probably go with Asics again but I'm looking to also try a New Balance shoe that is touted for its upper stability.