Can this cause weight loss to stop?

Options
So I started this all about maybe close to 2 months ago. I lost 8lbs in less than 3 weeks, it was great! And then I stopped losing. Nothing at all. I do the stationary bike every night and I realized that the, crap what's it called, like the difficulty level? I forgot the word, oh resistance? Anyway, I was keeping it on the same resistance level and it seemed my body was "used" to that. I moved up just one level tonight and WOW, I felt the burn much more after that. Could that be the reason I stopped losing? My body just got used to that level of exercise? I hope so, b/c I'm ready to start losing again!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    that is exactly why. your body is very effiecient machine. and it adjusts to exercise. thats why we have to switch things up all the time. its called endurance too. your body gets used to working at a high level and you stall. this is THE reason we stall or plateau. bumping up your workouts will most always kick start the weight loss again.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I think thats kind of fast your body to start "resisting" a workout. I think that you have to be doing the same thing for a couple months at least for that to happen. At least thats how it is for me!!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You have to constantly mix up your work-out routine. It's called muscle confusion. I alternate between 2 different cardio machines for my cardio, and never do the same weight lifting routines 2 days in a row. While my muscles know which movements to do (without conking myself in the head with a dumbbell), I use them differently every work-out.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    In my opinion 8 lbs in less than 3 weeks is a pretty substantial loss too and your body didn't know what to do so it went into "panic mode".... just keep on counting the calories, adding and changing up your workouts.... more will start to come off.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    You have to constantly mix up your work-out routine. It's called muscle confusion. I alternate between 2 different cardio machines for my cardio, and never do the same weight lifting routines 2 days in a row. While my muscles know which movements to do (without conking myself in the head with a dumbbell), I use them differently every work-out.

I agree, make sure you are mixing it up even if you are doing the same workout there are ways to increase or decrease the intensity of it. Try to get in some strength training in there with your cardio too (if you aren't already) and that will help increase the inches lost. :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think thats kind of fast your body to start "resisting" a workout. I think that you have to be doing the same thing for a couple months at least for that to happen. At least thats how it is for me!!

agreed.
  • newman50
    newman50 Posts: 16
    Options
    I lost 6 kg in my first three weeks and weight stalled at 90kg for 1-2 weeks

My trainer reminded me I am also putting on lean muscle and a bodyfat analysis proved it (the extra muscle mass shows visibly too!). He said, weight loss is always dramatic in the first few weeks.

So, the fat was still coming off but the denser lean muscle was going up with an overall slowing of weight loss overall.

In week 5 and weight loss has started again. I am focussing more on cardio but still keeping my weight routine up.

I don't want to lose all the fat and then not have lean muscle underneath :smile:
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    i also think u should try doing a stronger resistence for 90 seconds then take it down to a lower resistence for 30 seconds. Then back up to the higher for 90 seconds and back down to 30. That will burn more calories. Good luck!!!
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    Stationary bike burns the least amount of calories per hour. Try varying your routine. Use the treadmill or the elliptical. Are you working with weights? The more muscle you have, the higher your calorie burn. Just some thoughts.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Actually with bike riding, cadence is more important than resistance. You will increase your muscles with resistance, but the speed with which you turn the pedals is more important for energy expenditure, as is the time you take.

Everyone is right here who says that you need to work harder and longer to get the same results.

GG