Recumbent Bike

Options
Hi!
I was wondering ( since I've read all sorts of diff. stories when i googled) how helpful recumbent bikes are?? you know the ones w/ the big seat as if your sitting in a chair as opposed to a bike, I ha ve a nice one I rec'd last year and started using it but then heard it didnt do much as far as burning fat, my main goal! I hate to think I'd be " wasting " time when i could just do something else but w/ my back this works best for now.... any exercise is good? or am i wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

Replies

• themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike and I quite like it. It doesn't burn as many calories as MFP says a stationery bike does, but apparently MFP estimates are high anyway, so I just use what my bike's computer says. (Until I can get a heart rate monitor!) I can read my book while I ride it and it is easy on my back and comfy on my butt!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love my recumbent bike! I do use it at least twice a week, but I do mix that in with other forms of exercise. It is always my cool down method when doing my Circuit Training with weights. You are burning calories when you move any way. If you feel like your back will be best with it I say use it!
    Any exercise is GOOD exercise in my book.
  • kswifty
    kswifty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!
    Yep, i need to remember that any moving is better then not moving, and I do want to try diff. things, hurt my back not long ago so still babying it a bit so will start out on the bike and hopefully change it up
    Appreciate your inputs! :happy:
  • Wwannabe
    Wwannabe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am doing a recumbent bike about 5 days a week for 30 minutes or so. It is a bit tough when you start to get your heart rate up high enough. I do a weight loss routine (varied resistance), but I also slow down and speed up during the routine, and gradually push the resistance up and try to peddle faster as I warm up.

The great bonus is that it seems to be working my abdominal muscles really well. I believe it's the Obliques, angling up the sides (alas not the Rectus Abdominus, the ones up the middle). But it is making a real difference in my overall abdominal health. Now if I could just get more of the fat off them, I'd be even happier.
  • missygail
    missygail Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I searched for this post. I recently too bought a recumbent bike. A "Golds Gym" bike from Wal-mart. I fell in love with these at the gym, because they didn't put a whole lot of stress on my joints (ankels, and knees are my problems). I finally broke down and bought one for the house.

I do love it. It's fully electronic and it has work out routines, it's also ifit capable. Haven't tried an Ifit card yet....

I did wonder why when I inputed on here for 'stationary bike' it gave me like nearly 400 calories burned versus the 140 calories burned that my bike suggests.....

Is there a middle line between the two? Or do I just take the bikes calories. Though for my bike they do not ask for my weight, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Why would there be such a difference between a recumbent bike and a regular stationary bike?? I'm just wondering.

It's good to know as your posts say that this site runs their exercises kinda on the high side. So you truly can't eat all the calories they suggest. Good to know... now.

I do still love my bike, because now I feel like if I do go over my daily calories (or even if I don't) I can climb on the bike in the evening (when it's too late to go for a walk or to go to the gym) and burn off some calories.

Anyways, glad to find this thread.
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I ride a recumbent bike at the gym. It is great for me because of knees and ankle. I also try to do the eliiptical but don't last too long on it. I'm thinking of getting or the other for home but can't decide which. I have 9 more pounds to decide I guess since I told myself that would be my reward for losing 50 pounds :wink:

Missygail, which one did you get at Walmart? I have looked at their recumbent bikes and my Walmart has two Golds gym models.

Cathy
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 pounds since Jan 1 on a stationary recumbent bike. Completed 1100 miles and log 90 minutes almost daily.

To get calories to match Mfp I have to go under light effort. However, I am going at 3:20 minute miles. Does not seem light, but hey.

Calories burned is over 35000

Under stationary their are several different effort levels.

Hope this helps
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    People "like" recumbent bikes because they're easy, but quite frankly they don't do an awful lot for calorie burning.

The problem with them is 2-fold... 1) you're not supporting your own body weight, and 2) you have to use no core strength whatsoever.

If you have a HRM, do 45 mins on a recumbent, and compare to 45 studio bike class on a spin bike...
    MASSIVE difference.

Of course it's better than doing nothing, but IMHO the time could be better spent. Unless you're coming back from injury or have severe back problems, I would chose ANY other cardio machine.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The great bonus is that it seems to be working my abdominal muscles really well. I believe it's the Obliques, angling up the sides (alas not the Rectus Abdominus, the ones up the middle).

Actually it does nothing of the sort.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    backinthenines is right. A standard stationary bike, eliptical trainer, treadmil will all be more efficent at burning calories, however if itis what you have, go for it! Better than nothing huh?

I would suggest though get yourself a heart rate monitor so you can make sure your working hard, up the load and ride ride ride!
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh but also remember to add some core body work as an extra workout.