Height and Weight Equivalent

Options
So, how do I explain this...

Let's say that a woman who is 5'3 weighs 115 pounds.
A woman who is 5'7 wants to have the same body, just on a taller frame. What should she weigh?

I've always heard that you should add 3 pounds for every inch taller, but I was just wondering what you all thought!

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

A woman who is 5'7 wants to have the same body, just on a taller frame. What should she weigh?

I've always heard that you should add 3 pounds for every inch taller, but I was just wondering what you all thought!
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    Yikes, That would mean that a 5'7 woman would be 127...eek. And a 5'8 woman (my size) would be 130....nope. I've been 147 in the last 4 years and I wouldn't want to be 130...that is WAY too skinny!

I don't know if there is an answer to this question because everyone has different proportions. My twin sister and I can weigh the same amount and look VASTLY different. I am much more muscluar than her (under all my fatty mcfatty pants) and therefore shaped differently.

Just my thoughts.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Well I personally think that it depends on what type of body frame you have. I am 5'6" but with a very small frame, most people think that I am about 5"3" or so until they see me next to someone who's height they know. I once had a doctor tell me that I was considered average height yet petite. So for me 115-120 pounds does not look sickly skinny but yet 130-135 pounds looks like twice as much.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different due to body type and frame. I had always heard the rule of thumb was 5 pounds for every inch.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Huh...I guess it really does just depend on the person. One of my friends is taller than me, weighs less, and yet I look so much thinner...Not to be boastful or anything! Just trying to agree with the points being made :blushing: I was just curious as to what you've heard.
  • cassangelidy
    Options
    For me....I'm concentrating on what I look like and feel like...and NOT comparing myself to anyone else....

Being a twin I have been in competition or have been compared my WHOLE life...so I am focused on ME...not in a selfish way. :blushing:
  • NewMK08
    Options
    For me....I'm concentrating on what I look like and feel like...and NOT comparing myself to anyone else....

Being a twin I have been in competition or have been compared my WHOLE life...so I am focused on ME...not in a selfish way. :blushing:

That's what I've to to stop doing-Comparing myself to everyone else!! It just about drives me up the wall and I'm losing MY sense of self!! If I keep doing it, I'm never going to be happy with who I am, whether I lose weight or not. I think I should add that to my goals...
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I always heard it was 10lbs an inch. LOL.

For the same BMI it would the 5'7" would be 130lbs.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    It really depends on so much. Bone structure and muscle play a big part. I knew a girl who was 5ft 10in and weighed 175, and she was so thin, but she was also very muscular. I'm 5'6" and at one time weighed 125 and I was very thin, because I have a muscular build and did a ton of weight lifting. With my bone structure and muscling me weighing 140 would make me pretty thin, but it might make another person 5'6" look "fat"
  • cassangelidy
    Options

That's what I've to to stop doing-Comparing myself to everyone else!! It just about drives me up the wall and I'm losing MY sense of self!! If I keep doing it, I'm never going to be happy with who I am, whether I lose weight or not. I think I should add that to my goals...

I think this is a WONDERFUL goal. :flowerforyou:
  • Joselem
    Options
    There are a lot of variations for how many pounds someone should weigh according to their height... but there are many variations to consider: such as age, height, sex, body frame size, ect.... The best method is always to follow BMI as this considers a % range. Try this web site: http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/
    Hope this helps! JO
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I used to torture my poor husband with questions like "Honey am I built like her? Or her?"

He would just grunt.

I just want to look like ME again! And I am starting to see her face peek through!

:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker: for catchin up on this thread later
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    I am 5'8" and my goal is 130 - I have been 130 before and after children and for my height it is just about perfect.
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 petite bones shooting for 110
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Lets not forget age, too. I am 5'3" and have weighed between 105 and 115 up until my late 20's. Now I'm 37 and weight 135. My goal is now 130 (125 would be better!). My frame is small, but your body changes after you have kids, as you get older, etc. I don't think I would look so good anymore less than 125.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Body composition makes a HUGE difference...I am heavier now than when I started losing body fat, but since I've been doing it for so long and have cycled bulking and cutting, I have a lower % of body fat. So me at 5'0 and 129 looked bigger than me at 5'0 and 137.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I abso HATE all those stupid Height weight ratio scales!:grumble: :mad: They all say that for a guy my height 5"9" I should weigh from 125-160?! :noway: When I was at this height, in HS, and a jock, I weighed 150... but that was 30+ yrs ago, gimme a break! I'll be ecstatic when I break under 200. So fuggidboutit! :huh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and the ideal, healthy weight range for me is 118-154. Now I personally NEVER want to weigh 118 lbs. I'd look sick, really. So i'll venture a guess for a 5'7" woman, that a healthy weight would be around 125-160 pounds. You really shouldn't try to emulate someone else's boday anyway. Everyone is a little different, eveyone has a different amount of muscle mass and a different size and shape of frame. Set a realistic goal that you can reach. :flowerforyou:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    About 7 years ago, I was 125 lbs, but there were bad things going on, and I definitely did not look good at 5'5" because I wasn't eating right, and my body was eating itself.

I'm happy and look pretty good now at 157, but I know I can lose more and get fitter.

My goal is 140, and I'm pretty sure, the way things are going now, that 140 will be just fine. I'll be happy at 149, because I'll be in the proper BMI.

I don't try to be anyone else's body type. Every body is different.