I never wanted a burger

Options
As much as I do right now. I had a car accident today. My daughter was in the back. We're not hurt but the car is probably totalled. I've been here just over a week and I never wanted a burger as much as I do right now. Still feel very shaky. Just as well I'm car-less I suppose.

Replies

• Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Then relax. Be glad for your safety. And have a burger. Just don't have 2 burgers loaded and a side of fries. If you don't go crazy with the portions, you can do it. I myself struggle with emotional eating. My own reaction to a stressful situation would be to want food too. I understand fully! Just try to keep yourself in check. I am glad you and your little one are ok.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    After a day like that I would go ahead and treat myself to the burger.

I know some people wouldn't agree, but you just survived a car accident...why not celebrate a little.

I hope you and your daughter don't have any after effects later on.
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    At least you are both safe and that is most important. Normally i would say don't give in but no one would blame you if you did. Try to stay strong. If you need some one to talk to we are here
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    make your own healthy versions of burgers. for me being vegetarian i use the boca or morningstar meatless burgers. they have all sorts of flavors. i can, and i estimate eat a burger on a whole grain bun, with tomato, lettuce, low fat/cal cheese for about 300 cals. if i add sweet potato fries its about 420 cals or so. have a water, or some decaf green tea to drink and there ya go.

you can eat these things, chocolate, burgers etc. but you just have to choose the healthier versions of them.

sorry to hear about your accident..glad everyone was ok.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident, and glad you are all ok. Take it easy, and take care of yourself and family first. Don't worry about the losing weight. Best wishes
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    That's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that.
    Metal is replaceable, at least you are all okay.
    Have a burger, make it a one time thing and relax, everything will work out okay in the end.
    Good luck.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    i agree with mountain woman -- jeebus, you all are alive and safe, and food is ABSOLUTELY an enjoyable part of being alive -- go have a burger!!!

the key is finding a happy medium, not restricting yourself utterly -- this isn't sparta after all ;).

glad you're okay!
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    After a day like that I would go ahead and treat myself to the burger.

I know some people wouldn't agree, but you just survived a car accident...why not celebrate a little.

I hope you and your daughter don't have any after effects later on.

100% agree
  • Cassienz
    Cassienz Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've all just helped me feel not quite so alone. :)
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you had an accident must I must disagree with you having a burger. In this case you are clearly "emotionally eating". Why do we feel the need to treat ourselves or reward ourselves with food? Not just you, but most of us in general.

I understand you want to celebrate life and the fact that you are ok but why not treat yourself to a pedicure or a massage. Do something good for yourself that won't make you feel like you have to justify your actions.

The only reason I say this is because whenever something good or bad happens in the future your actions may be the same.

I hope you can see where I am coming from and of course this is only my opinion.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well thank God you and your child are okay. Heck if you would enjoy a burger after enduring something like that have it, otherwise consider that if you go through it without one, then you are strong in stressful situations. Either way you are a winner!
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    make your own healthy versions of burgers. for me being vegetarian i use the boca or morningstar meatless burgers. they have all sorts of flavors. i can, and i estimate eat a burger on a whole grain bun, with tomato, lettuce, low fat/cal cheese for about 300 cals. if i add sweet potato fries its about 420 cals or so. have a water, or some decaf green tea to drink and there ya go.

you can eat these things, chocolate, burgers etc. but you just have to choose the healthier versions of them.

sorry to hear about your accident..glad everyone was ok.

+1, I am not a vegetarian but I also like morning star veggie burgers. Turkey burgers are pretty good too if you don't care for the veggie patties.

I agree about trying not to eat when because of your emotions... but it's easier said than done. I was grouchy the other day and went after some jelly beans, but tried to limit my portion.

Glad everyone is ok, hope you feel better.
  • sadmoody
    sadmoody Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have the burger!

On sunday I had KFC and Subway - both in the same day, and remained under my calorie goals. It's not that hard to budget correctly.

Though, it is quite easy to go into a spiral of "I'm still recovering from this crash, so I guess I can eat what I want all this week and pick it up again next week". It'll be very hard to get the ball rolling again.

Have the burger, and if it's over the calorie allowance for today, fine. If you don't have it, you'll be doing nothing but focussing on it burgers for the next few days (or until you have one). I like to plan atleast 1-2 days ahead of eating something "unhealthy", so I can budget it accordingly.

Anyway, I'm glad you're ok.
  • just4laughs
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your circumstance, I hope everything is ok, and will be ok. That being said, one thing to remember is this, we eat to live and not live to eat, I would say TRY not to indulge, I think of it like this, this car accident is a stressful situation right now, and what do we (me too) do when we are stressed out?? We turn to food sometimes and the real good/bad food no doubt. That is my two cents and my thoughts. Again, glad things are ok and God bless you!!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    burger up!

but make sure it is a good burger. if having a burger is a rare thing, then dont waste it on a maccas (mickey d's) burger. find that green door with the red neon sign that says burger and have the best burger.

you may even see regis.

(for those that are now completly confused, its a how i met your mother reference)
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you had a super rough day and am so glad you and your daughter are ok.
    But I was pretty disappointed with so many people telling you to have that burger. .. like a burger is a treat you deny yourself because you want to lose weight.
    You've worked really hard to learn how to make better choices.

Today, I had a rough day too. Not nearly as bad as yours, but I had a bit of high stress. Got turned around in Houston and ended up way away from where I was going. Houston highways are my biggest dread and if I can get lost, I will 8 times out of 10. Anyway, on my way home I was talking to my hubby about my day, and I made comment that I thought about stopping by the liquer store. His reply made me smile. I don't need it. And sure enough, I realized I didn't. I realized I can go on home, pass up the liquer store and the fast food joints and go home, make a healthier choice of calories, and stay in control. I had other alcohol at home, but not the cocktail I was thinking of and wanted.
    I quit smoking a few months ago. I've lost count how many, maybe 6 or 8? Anyway, I wanted several today, several times. I could and would have smoked half a pack in the time I finally reached my destination (I was lost for an hour). But I didn't stop and buy some. I realized I didn't need it.

You can have a burger if you want... but you don't need it.
  • Nuts4play
    Nuts4play Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    p.s.
    When you decide to have a burger, just think about trying a healthier version.
    Have it with mustard and/or ketchup instead of mayo.
    Ask for extra veggies on it, so it's almost like having a side salad with your burger :wink:
    You could leave the cheese off to cut some more calories, if you want.
    You could plan to work out a little extra, to burn the extra calories for the day.
    Or you could have it exactly the way you always have, enjoy it, savor it, and then get on with your life.
    If you're making healthier choices more often than not... then you're still in control and you're doing great! :love:
  • SaucyCJMinx
    SaucyCJMinx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am glad to hear you are both well! I myself have coped through emotional eating and that's what has gotten me to the place of needing to lose weight. I think it is vital to find another way to cope with the stress besides food. I would eat to avoid dealing with the stress/emotion and it made me fatter and not really any better, in addition to the stress I would feel worse because of what I ate! It's not to say never have a burger but, be careful and aware of why you are wanting it ~ emotional eating is a slippery slope!! I hope this helps!!

XO,
    Candice
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with an occasional burger!

Even better if you do like suggested above and have a healthy version of it.

I am NOT vegetarian, and I do love my meat...so my recipe is not meat less but still great and low in fat. I use 96/4 extra lean ground beef, fat free sharp cheddar slices, whole wheat buns, and veggies like lettuce and tomato with pickle slices. I like low sugar ketchup and yellow mustard to finish it off. I also have fries with it, but never "fried." I slice a potato, season, and bake in the oven. I actually have this meal often as it totals only about 400 or so calories total for one burger and one potato made into fries.

But if you want the greasy fast food variety...I guess once in a while won't hurt too bad. Just make sure it doesn't become a habit.

I still think you should have a healthier version instead. You will feel better about yourself knowing you ate something you were craving that was also good for your body.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Accidents suck. I usually reached for a smoke out of frustration. Eating was the last thing on my mind after any of my accidents. Glad to know you and your daughter are alright.