eating breakfast

just4laughs
just4laughs Posts: 44
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I believe in eating a good healthy breakfast to start the day. Sometimes though I am not hungry. Does anyone force themselves to eat breakfast or do you wait till you start getting hungry??? I might do a smoothie and a small bowl of oatmeal, which will fill me up pretty good, but then there are days where I’m not hungry till about 9am, eating that late tends to mess up my eating schedule, any thoughts???

Replies

• Shelty64
    Shelty64 Posts: 18
    Your body's metabolism only starts to rev up after you put something into it in the morning. I know a lot of mornings that I'm not hungry. But, the word "breakfast" comes from "breaking fast" since your body goes into fasting mode in the night. You probably don't feel hungry cuz your body is in "starvation mode" and storing everything until you give it something to burn. That's just the scientific reasons that I've learned from a dietician as to why everyone should have a breakfast. It doesn't even have to be anything massive. Just a piece of toast, cottage cheese and a piece of fruit. Then, you know your body is burning it off cuz you'll probably be starving by lunch. Hope that helped.
  • Someone once told me that if you are not hungry when you wake up, you are eating too much food too late at night (not sure if that is true or not). I never used to be hungry in the morning and NEVER ate breakfast, sometimes not lunch either, which I believe is part of why I am overweight, I would binge at dinner because by then I was STARVING! Since I joined MFP and have changed my eating routines and types of foods consumed, I find that I almost always wake up hungry, or atleast within the first 30 mins of being awake. Do you eat late at night?
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    I run into the same thing and I've taken to just eating something light- fruit and a yogurt, some granola, a smoothie and then packing a heavier snack and lunch (knowing that these are the days I'm STARVING by 10am and still ravenous at lunch). That keeps me from screwing up my schedule too badly.
  • Someone once told me that if you are not hungry when you wake up, you are eating too much food too late at night (not sure if that is true or not). I never used to be hungry in the morning and NEVER ate breakfast, sometimes not lunch either, which I believe is part of why I am overweight, I would binge at dinner because by then I was STARVING! Since I joined MFP and have changed my eating routines and types of foods consumed, I find that I almost always wake up hungry, or atleast within the first 30 mins of being awake. Do you eat late at night?

Not really, but that is interesting you say that about eating late. I like to work out late and then have a little romaine lettuce w/ a can of tuna afterwards. I’ll have to see how I feel tomorrow morning, thanks for the impute.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    I can relate to you. I never get hungry until about 2 hours after I wake up. Luckily, I wake up at around 9AM, so I can easily do an early lunch at 11AM, or a little after that and skip breakfast.

Let me preface this by saying I'm no expert, so your should remember that when you read my thoughts... :smile:

If I eat anything substantial for breakfast (in the 8-10AM timeframe), I will not be hungry again until well into the afternoon. I don't like this, because for various reasons, it's not good for me to eat after 7PM, and if I eat dinner at 3-4PM, I will definitely get hungry again before bedtime.

It's my understanding (once again, this is only hear-say) that it is healthier to eat a large breakfast and a small dinner, so perhaps for your specific issue, you could eat breakfast at 9, then maybe break your schedule a little with small meals for a late lunch and less late dinner?
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    I don't like eating breakfast, never have. But then I'm starving by the time I'm at work, and rarely have an opportunity to eat. So I started getting the breakfast(weightloss) shakes. Just for something to put in my stomache. I don't like Slim Fast, but I really like the creamy milk chocolate generic ones. Walmart and Bimart I have found I really like.

As far as hungry when I wake up, I find I wake up STARVING when I go to bed full. If I go to bed normal, or a little hungry, then I'm fine in the morning. Its weird.
This discussion has been closed.