Men - HRM opinions?

Options
Robin1117
Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
Hi there! I'm thinking of buying an HRM for my husband. I have the Polar FT60 and like it alot but do not have experience with any of the other ones and I'm not sure if one is better for men or woman, or if that matters at all. Are there are some features techy guys might like that I don't know about?

I do know my husband loves the Garmin brand from using them for GPS over the years. I know they make HRM's also and have read good reviews of them. But Polars seem to be hailed on this site more than any other brands.

Just wondering if any guys out there have an opinion on this. He would be using this more for snowshoeing, hiking type activities, maybe even wading-- and some indoor machines.

thanks!

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and love it. I do not use any of the data transfer capabilities. I only use it for heart rate and noting calorie burn in MFP. I use it on the elliptical and when I do P90X.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar F60 .... just use it for heart rate and measuring calorie burn - the majority of which I do inside on the treadmill.

The GPS isn't needed (IMO) unless you're a serious outdoor runner and want to measure the distances. My wife does a lot of 5k / 10k and half marathons so she has the Garmin Forerunner 305
  • Cmsl90
    Cmsl90 Posts: 16
    Options
    I also have been considering getting a HRM for myself (Female). I have been slowly researching. I have recently came upon this review of HRM's.

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardiomachinesresources/tp/HRM.htm
  • Robin1117
    Options
    cool. thanks! butler--does your wife like the Garmin Forerunner??
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7; I like it but only have experience with one other, a cheapie without the chest strap. I took it back the next day.
  • Robin1117
    Options
    I also have been considering getting a HRM for myself (Female). I have been slowly researching. I have recently came upon this review of HRM's.

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardiomachinesresources/tp/HRM.htm

thanks for the link!