Injury- need exercise ideas

Options
jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
I am a very active person who plays 3 sports. I unfortunately had the luck of rolling my ankle in my basketball game last night. I am able to kind of walk today but obviously cardio exercise is out of the question ( my ankle is so swollen it looks like i have a grapefruit on the side of it. lol) I am planning on just doing some heavy lifting the next couple of days because i can not just take the days off. I was going to do arms tonight and want to do legs tomorrow but unfortunately i cant really think of any leg exercises that wont irritate my ankle. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• darblij
    darblij Posts: 89
    Options
    Swimming?
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue a few days ago...i gave it a day or two to rest, icing and elevating it, lotsa antiinflammatories and have slowly been getting back into it...i find the next day it was okay to get on the elliptical as long as i didnt push myself to the point i normally do and using an ace bandage for support helped...
  • drbean
    drbean Posts: 6
    Options
    You can do stationary bike but at little to no resistance to get cardio without stressing out your ankle (but stop if it bugs your ankle). Adjust the seat so that you can keep your ankle in as neutral a position as possible ( probably will need the seat just a little higher than normal). You can also do quad and hamstring exercises on the nautilus equipment since the pads for those pieces of equipment are above the ankle. if you are exercising at home, you can do leg ex....straight leg raise, side leg raises, etc. Just go through all of the hip and knee motions and use ankle weights strapped above the ankle if you have them. Make sure you give your ankle support while it is healing by taping or using over the counter ankle supports....sounds as if you have a pretty good sprain based on the amount of swelling. Keep is raised as much as possible over the next few days. Good luck.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    i had the same issue a few days ago...i gave it a day or two to rest, icing and elevating it, lotsa antiinflammatories and have slowly been getting back into it...i find the next day it was okay to get on the elliptical as long as i didnt push myself to the point i normally do and using an ace bandage for support helped...

How bad was your sprain??? I was able to walk off the court and stuff but it swelled up immediately. This morning it has been pretty stiff and i have definitely been limping. My volleyball and basketball teammates want to know how long i will be out and i dont know what to tell them. lol
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

How bad was your sprain??? I was able to walk off the court and stuff but it swelled up immediately. This morning it has been pretty stiff and i have definitely been limping. My volleyball and basketball teammates want to know how long i will be out and i dont know what to tell them. lol

it was pretty nasty...i had a hairline fracture in my ankle years ago and the dr said i would have to be careful not to rebreak it, so when i noticed the HUGE bruise from the middle of my foot up to above my ankle, i went to have an xray done...it is still weak, but it was about 2-3 days before i put much pressure on it...just lite movement until its a bit stronger...i have been strengthening it by raising up on my toes (a bit at a time) and tracing circles or letters of the alphabet a-z w my foot....it is still achey and swollen...ice first 24-48 hrs then alternate heat and ice...lotsa anti inflammatories and if it hurts really bad, use some muscle relaxers at nite...depending on how bad the sprain was, it could take awhile...like i said, mine is slowly getting back but i use an ankle brace while in work shoes (b/c i have to dress for an office) or while on the elliptical w no resistance or only as much as u can stand...but be sure to give your ankle support while using it...dont overstress it...