What happens now?

Options
I am .50 pounds from my goal weight... Just over 4 months and I am down 41 pounds.... I'm amazed that this happend.... It didn't come easy... Going from not working out to working out 6 days a week.... I weigh less now than I did when I graduated from military college.... What happens now? It seemed easy to wrap my brain around constantly watch what went in my body, but now maintaining?

I dont want to be fat again. I have gone from a 38 inch waist (rapidly moving towards a 40) to a 33 or 34 inch pant, depending on the cut. Myface has slimmed down, I am strong, and now working to build muscle...

Any advice?

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Just stay active and eat a balanced diet and you should be able to maintain. If counting calories helps you do that, then continue to do so. Congrats on your success!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I asked exactly the same question: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/184493-now-what
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing, it is a lifestyle change, just add more caloires to get to maintenance. Try adding 100 cals/day for a few weeks, then add another 100 for 3-4 more weeks, keep doing this until you get to maintenance calories.
  • Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The main thing about losing weight and changing your diet is to change the bad habits that you might have had and get used to a new and healthier life style. You have obviously found something that works for you and when you reach your goal weight it will be about maintaining this and not returning to any previous bad habits that you may have had.

Good luck with your quest to maintain your weight.:smile:
  • carolyne2
    carolyne2 Posts: 109
    Options
    Just wanted to say congratulations on your achievement and hope you get to grips with the maintenance part, to keep your new shape.:flowerforyou:
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement! That is fantastic work and you must feel so proud of yourself!

Once I hit my goal weight, I was able to maintain for months without any problems. I'd already changed my eating habits and was exercising 4-5 days/week, so I could do it even without logging my food. I could just "see" what the right portion size was, and my stomach would let me know when it was full, I was able to listen to my body and be aware of how I felt very intuitively.

However, I needed a new challenge to focus on. So instead of weight, I focused on body fat %. Now I'm working towards being leaner, eating cleaner and lifting weights 3 times/week. It's a new challenge and keeps me motivated!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Dont stop gettng weighed. I can't tell you how many times I've been on this journey and then regressed. This time I intend to always weigh myself atleast once a week that way I'll know if the weight is creeping back on.
    I have a target weight that is between 12 and 12.5 stones if I go over that Im going to start logging again.
    This time I intend to this forever.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment!!!! Take a deep breath, and celebrate that.

I agree with everyone here.....you have made a lifestyle change to get to the point you are now. Continue that change, continue to weigh in (at a minimum of once a week), continue to log what you eat so you can see trends, etc., and your success is most likely to continue.

I gained back about 22 pounds of what I had originally lost last winter......Have 're-lost' 10 of that, and am now working on another 5-10. I actually was probably too light at my very lowest....but am much happier where I am now than 10 pounds ago.

I just found MFP in January, and I try to log my exercise, foods, and weight on an almost daily basis (unless I am out of town and don't have access to a computer).

That being said.....don't hesitate to give yourself a break now and then. Just after I had lost my weight, my daughter and I went on a trip to Hawaii when she played in a volleyball tournament there. Did I 'really' watch what I ate when I was in paradise? No, but I did do a lot of walking (my main form of exercise). I did get back to the recording food and exercise as soon as I got back home. The upside....a week in paradise was only 2 pounds :wink:

Again....congratulations on what you have achieved!!!!

Kaye
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! You did put in TONS of hard work. I'm sure you are going to do great!! CONGRATS!!
  • SpartanHard
    SpartanHard Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Cant wait till I get here. But Im absolutely terrified of getting to this point. Congrats to you!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    WTG!! I have also reached my goal and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't been a bit of a struggle for me to "get on the maintain train" if you know what I mean. You have to retrain your brain, get out of losing mode and try to keep your fears of regaining it all back at bay. I really didn't expect it would be such a hard thing to do, but It can be a quite the adjustment, at least it has been for me. Just keep logging and working out. Maybe try and find new ways to challenge yourself with fitness. If you keep on with your healthy lifestyle, you don't need to worry about gaining it back....so just try to relax and enjoy those extra calories you get!

Congrats!