Relentless acne!!!

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
I have these totally relentless zits on my chin that won't go away and continue to multiply. UGHH :angry: . I've been using ProActiv for over a month now and the rest of my face looks okay, just my chin looks awful! I rinse my face with cold water after my cardio at lunch, and use the ProActiv twice a day... I eat clean, I drink more water and decaf tea than I could count, I drink quite a bit of plain black coffee daily, and I very rarely drink anything other than that. Could coffee be causing my acne?

Any ideas? TIA!

Replies

• arinwinter
    Options
    It might take a lil longer with the proactive. When I changed bc prescriptions I started getting really stubborn acne on my cheek, and started using it. It took around 2 months before it really started helping and went away. If you have the mask use it too, it helps. You can either put it on for 10 min after washing your face (before toner) and just add it 1-2x a week to your routine, or just put some on the spots on your chin at night before going to bed and wash off in the am.
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been using proactive for about a year now, and I still breakout right around TOM. And I'm also on a cream and pill prescribed by my derm and still breakout at least once a month. I would also love to hear if anyone has tips on acne. I hate it!
  • wiglitt
    wiglitt Posts: 22
    Options
    What's up with the chin....Mine does it too!

I also use Pro Active and it works for me. I have found that if I wash too often or scrub to hard, it drys out my chin and irritates the skin causing the zits to appear more red and inflamed.

I also don't use anything but BE make-up and this has really helped out. I guess it does not clog up the pores. Also I read to try and not touch your face a lot.

Hope this helps....
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Couple friends of mine who use proactive broke out for the first two months before things started to improve.
  • Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I too gave pro-active a try, and had pretty relentless acne. It didn't do anything for me, however, hardly any medications did.
    Something that helped me was, as you are doing, making sure to give my face a really good rinse after my cardio and wisk all that sweat away.
    However, I never wash my face after my Cardio, just once at night. You really don't want to overdo it, faces are sensitive. But that said, everyone's is different! What I found helping was only "spot washing", getting the lather on my fingertips and just rubbing it where my acne was (hairline, nose, forehead) and leaving my cheeks and chin scrub free. By not heavy-duty washing the places that didn't need it, my face was able to balance out a lot better, because it was only working to repair the areas that needed it and I wasn't over drying other spots that were fine.
    Just something to think about!
    Also, change/wash your pillowcase every week at minimum! :)
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with acne my entire life. Started on my forehead and cheeks in my teens and early 20s and now that I'm in my late 20s its all on the lower portion of my face (mainly my chin). I went to the derm and was told it was hormonal acne. Apparently when its on the lower portion of your face it is typically hormonal and not due to oil and dirt like on the rest of the face. Anyway, I was prescribed two topicals - finacea and tazorac - as well as a sulfur based face wash. It is working for the most part, however, my derm told me to get the best results I need to take an oral medication which I do not want to do...so I'm just making the best of it with the topicals. The number of breakouts has reduced and when they do pop up they seem to heal faster.

I say throw out the ProActive and get to the derm. ProActive never did anything for my skin except make it flake (and it bleached out my towels and some t-shirts!). Keep up the good eating habits and drink water. I highly doubt it has to do with your coffee consumption.
  • MsRose2012
    Options
    Try some tea tree oil not full strength tho it's wicked powerful water it down some that's what I do saps the suckers :)
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    It might take a lil longer with the proactive. When I changed bc prescriptions I started getting really stubborn acne on my cheek, and started using it. It took around 2 months before it really started helping and went away. If you have the mask use it too, it helps. You can either put it on for 10 min after washing your face (before toner) and just add it 1-2x a week to your routine, or just put some on the spots on your chin at night before going to bed and wash off in the am.

I do use the mask about every other day. Sometimes all over, and sometimes just on my chin. I had thought about leaving in on my chin while I sleep but didn't know if I should... Thanks!
  • LBATL
    Options

I do use the mask about every other day. Sometimes all over, and sometimes just on my chin. I had thought about leaving in on my chin while I sleep but didn't know if I should... Thanks!

You can definitely leave it on your skin over night. It's sulfur based and it should work really well to reduce the size and redness. The mask is the only ProActive product that I liked.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I have struggled with acne my entire life. Started on my forehead and cheeks in my teens and early 20s and now that I'm in my late 20s its all on the lower portion of my face (mainly my chin). I went to the derm and was told it was hormonal acne. Apparently when its on the lower portion of your face it is typically hormonal and not due to oil and dirt like on the rest of the face. Anyway, I was prescribed two topicals - finacea and tazorac - as well as a sulfur based face wash. It is working for the most part, however, my derm told me to get the best results I need to take an oral medication which I do not want to do...so I'm just making the best of it with the topicals. The number of breakouts has reduced and when they do pop up they seem to heal faster.

I say throw out the ProActive and get to the derm. ProActive never did anything for my skin except make it flake (and it bleached out my towels and some t-shirts!). Keep up the good eating habits and drink water. I highly doubt it has to do with your coffee consumption.

That's interesting! I have recently changed birth control... I may consider seeing a dermotologist if this persists much longer, but so far I like the proactiv. Like I said, I can see improvement in my complexion everywhere else besides my chin. It's not drying me out either. I actually used to put face lotion on every morning and night after showering but now I don't!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

You can definitely leave it on your skin over night. It's sulfur based and it should work really well to reduce the size and redness. The mask is the only ProActive product that I liked.

Cool! I will leave it on tonight. I've noticed that as soon as I was the mask off, the zits appear a little better, but then usually come back in full force after my morning shower.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my dermatoligist recommended ZNP bar. you can use it on your face or all over. it's mild and suds up nicely. also cetaphil cleanser seems to help. it doesn't lather but does work. it makes your skin softer and is gentle and soothing on your skin.
    according to this article i found yes caffine can worsen your acne. http://www.quickacneremedy.com/acne-articles/caffeine-and-acne.html
  • LBATL
    Options

That's interesting! I have recently changed birth control... I may consider seeing a dermotologist if this persists much longer, but so far I like the proactiv. Like I said, I can see improvement in my complexion everywhere else besides my chin. It's not drying me out either. I actually used to put face lotion on every morning and night after showering but now I don't!

It can definitely be from the switch in your BCP. Give your body a few months to adjust to the new pill and if you are still have problems talk to the derm or to your doc who prescribed the BCP. There may be a better one out there for you. The crazy thing is that when I went off the pill, my face got noticeably better. Pesky hormones can wreck havoc on skin!
  • LBATL
    Options
    my dermatoligist recommended ZNP bar. you can use it on your face or all over. it's mild and suds up nicely. also cetaphil cleanser seems to help. it doesn't lather but does work. it makes your skin softer and is gentle and soothing on your skin.
    according to this article i found yes caffine can worsen your acne. http://www.quickacneremedy.com/acne-articles/caffeine-and-acne.html

Thanks for posting the article. Very interesting stuff :)
  • xoopsyxdaizyx
    Options
    i kept having this problem as well & was trying all sorts of things for months & months. you know what cleared up my skin? i stopped using all of the acne treatment things i was buying. IF i felt something coming on..... i would use mario badescu's buffering lotion & would use the healing cream every night. i also started washing my pillow cases once a week. no break out's since! also, i found that exfoliating 1-2 times a week really helped!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I broke out from BCP as well. It depends on your body and may need ot try a different one is giving you acne. Try exfoliating atleast 3x a week to remove any dead cells/build up. I also used ProActive..it helped a little but I'm using AcneFree now and i think its working better than Proactiv...

Good luck!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Make sure you frequently use hand sanitizer on your cellphone to kill all the bacteria. The phone can definitely make acne on your chin worse
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    Do you talk on the phone alot at work? I found wiping down my hanset cleared up my chin...:happy:
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I use a vitamin A supplement (just one per day)... works great for me but don't use it if you're pregnant or trying to be, too much Vitamin A is linked to birth defects.