Vegetarian Meal Ideas?

Options
My teenage daughter is giving up meat for lent, and although I am not, with my husband traveling a lot and my son away at college, it is often just the two of us for dinner several nights a week. I am definitely not cooking two meals, and I think it might be interesting to reduce the amount of meat I am eating. I mainly want to make sure she is getting what she needs nutritionally as she tends to have a tendency toward low iron. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I would love to help, but I just cannot bring myself to help a Steeler's fan!!! GOOOO BROWWNNSSSS!!!....OL
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The Post Punk Kitchen (www.theppk.com) has a lot of really good vegan/vegetarian recipes available. I swear by their tempeh chili and tofu scramble recipes. (The tofu scramble is kind of a breakfast thing, but you could eat it any time as a protein source. The meatless chili is so good even my avowedly carnivorous father loves it.)
  • reikichris
    Options
    Here are some of the tips and tricks I use to add protein and iron into our mostly vegetarian meals:

• Add endamame, chick peas or beans to salads and pastas for added protein and spinach to salads, pastas and soups for iron.

• Quinoa is a wonderful grain that is gluten free and very high in protein. It is similar in texture to couscous and is extremely versatile. I have made it as a PIlaf, Asian style and as a cold Mediterranean salad.

• Barilla Plus Thin Spaghetti has added protein and iron.

• For breakfast, I often have an egg white omelet with Spinach and feta, which covers both protein and iron.

• Gimme Lean ground meat is pretty tasty and the Morningstar "California Turk'y" burgers are delicious! The Morningstar Ground meat tastes excellent in Tacos and is very simple to prepare.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any other ideas! I am happy to help!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    start at www.recipe.com and click the vegetarian link.
    i've been exploring the 6800 low calorie items on this site and my diet meals have been fun instead of boring.
    I also really love their shopping list functions if you go to the trouble of setting up local stores because it will hilight list items on sale