Food before a workout or after??

Options
syiyi
syiyi Posts: 341 Member
Just wondering if it is ok to eat something light before a workout or eat proportionally after a workout. This morning I woke up to hit the gym but my stomach was making noises.. I figure to eat something light before going to the gym and then eat breakfast afterwards. I did but then felt sick and weak. Does anyone have a similar problem. I would like to know what to do.. eat before or after????

thanks., in advance.

Replies

• EmilyWillBeSlim
    EmilyWillBeSlim Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definatelty both. Ij im, going to the gym in a morning I usually eat a cereal bar before exercise then breakfast afterwards. If i go to the gym in an evening i usually have a protein or slimfast shake about an hour before, then something with protein in afterwards to help th muscle recovery
    Good luck
    x
  • lacotter
    lacotter Posts: 4
    Options
    you might want to try a smoothie or something easily digestible before going to the gym, it might make it easier on your stomach. i have found that i can eat a zbar (kid sized cliff bar - 120kcals) or half of a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread before a workout and it doesn't upset my stomach. Then I come home and eat a more substantial breakfast. if you can go workout in the morning with out eating, you may burn more fat b/c your body will go to the fat stores, but i personally find it hard to do, i need a little something to keep me going :)

Maybe you just need to experiment with what food works for you for before your workout.
    good luck.
  • cmd94
    cmd94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat something small before a work out (especially if you're working out first thing in the morning) and something - more like a meal - after. If you eat something before it is supposed to help keep your metabolism higher. However, stay away from anything like protein/snack bars which have a lot of sugar (chocolate), especially if you are planning on doing cardio. Trust me, it doesn't feel well during a run.
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    Definitely eat something small if your tummy is making noises. I like string cheese or laughing cow cheese with whole wheat crackers. It will give you some energy without weighing you down.
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    I like to eat a homemade protein bar before the gym and drink aprotein shake on the way home!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    If I work out in the morning I eat a fiber one bar and a piece of fruit. You need something in your system, something light.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    On bodybuilding.com it says to maximize fat burning, to get at least 20 min of cardio before you eat breakfast. That way, you are burning from the fat storages. It is working for me so far :)