BodyBugg/BodyMedia - Is it worth it?

Options
Hey all...I'm looking into finding a method for tracking my calories more accurately, and I was thinking about just getting a HRM with a chest strap....but then I saw a couple people talking about the BodyMedia/BodyBugg....and I went investigating. Now, the BodyMedia sounds wicked awesome, but it cost way more than a HRM would...so, I'm asking, is it worth the extra money that you end up paying?

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    I think it is, but I'm kinda partial. I've been using the bodybugg for about six weeks now and LOVE it. One thing to keep in mind is you need to use the website with it. It comes with (I think) six months free for the website. I also recommend getting the digital display with it. The bodybugg is more accurate than a heart rate monitor. There are too many things that can mess with your heart rate that aren't actually making you burn more calories.

The bodybugg doesn't just count calories. It keeps track of your steps and physical activity. It's helped me become more aware of calories. You wear it all day and so it's keeping track of the calories you burn in the entire day (midnight-midnight). It's accurate within 10%. That could be up or down, so I just subtract 10% from what it says to be on the safe side to make sure I'm having a high enough deficit to lose weight.

I hope this has helped in your decision. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    All I know is that my wife forked out a bunch of money for one of those things, used it for about a month, and now it sits on a shelf. Personally, I don't think you need gadgets to lose weight. The food diary on here is more than adequate for keeping track of your calories consumed. IMO, you need to worry more about that than you do about how many calories you burned walking up a flight of stairs.
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I might just stick with a heart rate monitor for now...
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    All I know is that my wife forked out a bunch of money for one of those things, used it for about a month, and now it sits on a shelf. Personally, I don't think you need gadgets to lose weight. The food diary on here is more than adequate for keeping track of your calories consumed. IMO, you need to worry more about that than you do about how many calories you burned walking up a flight of stairs.

That's where the bodybugg comes in handy. It's not just for knowing how many calories you burn during activity. It's for knowing how many calories you burn in your entire day. With this knowledge you can then determine what the right amount of calories for you to consume and still have a large enough deficit to lose weight.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

That's where the bodybugg comes in handy. It's not just for knowing how many calories you burn during activity. It's for knowing how many calories you burn in your entire day. With this knowledge you can then determine what the right amount of calories for you to consume and still have a large enough deficit to lose weight.

I guess I just think it's important enough to know how many calories I spent walking from my car to the office, or walking around the grocery store on the weekend. What use is that info? Just justification to eat more? I prefer to just list real exercise as calories spent, and think of the rest as incidental activity. And base my caloric intake on that, not counting every single calorie burned, so I can sneak in another piece of cake before bed.

It might be a cool toy if it was $40, but no way do I think it is worth what they charge for it.
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my BodyMedia, it takes all the guess work out of how much you burn during your work out. I have had mine for 6 weeks now and haven't went a day without it. Look at CostCo they are 50.00 off right now.