First time doing Zumba - Suggestions?

Options
I'm considering taking a Zumba class tonight. I love the idea but am nervous. Used to be in great shape in high school (nearly 10 years ago), did competition cheerleading and was all around pretty active. My biggest concern about Zumba is not being able to keep up ... any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba 2/3 times per week and love it. Obviously each class if different but we have new people coming to every session. You can just go at your own pace. Think you need to go a few times though to get used to the moves.

I would defo recommend it.x
  • Jamiecanup
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I've heard from many people that Zumba is a great and fun way to exercise. Don't worry about not being able to keep up - because its all about having fun. If you're that worried about it though maybe see if your facility has a beginners Zumba class. I myself am taking a beginner's class starting tonight. Have fun!
  • lynayaj
    lynayaj Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is awesome! It does take a few sessions to learn the moves, but its super fun and gets you moving!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The important piece is to work past your discomfort about going and just jump in!!! If I, at 228 lbs, can hop around with the young skinny ones - I know you can do it too!!!

It's loads of fun....try the best you can and enjoy burning 500-600 calories in an hour!!!
  • MfP6420
    MfP6420 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No worries - everyone else will be too busy following the instructor to keep an eye on you anyway! Also, with your athletic past it will not be long before you are totally comfortable in the class. Go for it and have fun - you will be SO proud of yourself.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! I would suggest following the feet first before adding arms. Don't get frustrated, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly once you've been going for awhile. Just enjoy and don't feel embarrassed - go all out! It's so much fun!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi! I was a lot like you, I use to be on a competitive cheer team too, and dance. I have been out of high school of 7/8 years now... wait a minute, I think actually 9. lol. time flies. I have completed a zumba class now 3 different times, and I totally love it! It brings me back to those days when we would practice routines, stunts etc. However, it is a littl bit different- it is more like studio dance. Be prepared to sweat like a mad women, and be totally off the first time, but as you do more, the better you will get. Definetly give it a shot. The work out is so great. when you are done, you will look forward to the next time. If you are out of shape like me, I felt a little intimidated by the thin girls in the class, but now I can almost keep up with the best of them. I guess it also helps that my zumba instructor is a normal size women- not a super thin salsa pro, like the dancers on dancing with the stars. Hope all goes well. Dont forget your water. you will need it. After class I find myself going home and showing my husband what we did- humming the music.... like he cares. lol.
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    Zumba is crazy fun! I had the same concerns my first time. Just dont be worried about getting everything perfect. As it was mentioned above, you can burn over 500 cal in an hour of Zumba! (At least my HRM says so!)
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely takes a few classes to learn the moves. I remember my fist class and I was wondering what crazy world I had walked into. But stick with it, its fun. The important thing is to remember to laugh at yourself. When I make a mistake and end up turned completely around in class, I just laugh and look around at all of the other people laughing at them selves for messing up too. Its great!!! Go have fun!
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    Do you experienced ladies recommend telling the instructor that you're new and asking for any tips or advice? I've been thinking about going, but I'm super intimidated since my feet just don't do what my brain tells them when I try to do stuff like this.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say - if the instructor is any good, he/ she will ask at the start of the calss "Anybody new tonight?" and give some tips on what to concentrate on first.

If not, then yeah, I'd make a point of saying "Hi" at the start of the class and pointing out that you've never done zumba before.