How did you figure out your ideal weight?

Options
Hi all, I'm struggling with this! I'm 5' 3.5", 161.2 lbs, with a current bf% of 28.7. I'm pear-shaped and a small frame with the exception of my hips. I had a range in mind when I first starting losing weight and now I'm just not sure. Depending on the formula I use, my ideal weight is anywhere from 114 to 137.5lbs. Anyone have any good suggestions as to how to figure out what weight I should be shooting for?

Replies

• Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Well ... having spent my youth on a travel swim team, I was rarely heavy during the season. At the end of gr 12 I was 140lbs with a 27" waist. I'm the same height I was then so .... OMG, I've got a LONG way to go.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Well ... having spent my youth on a travel swim team, I was rarely heavy during the season. At the end of gr 12 I was 140lbs with a 27" waist. I'm the same height I was then so .... OMG, I've got a LONG way to go.

hahaha your comments are always hilarious.

I'm 5'10 and I weigh 155lbs. I would like to be 140 but we will see. I would rather be 150 & toned then 140 & flabby.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I went into the BMI calculator on tools and had a look on there for my ideal bracket however my goal is about 10kg heavier cos I think I may look ill at 64kg which is the top end so I'm going for 75 first then 70 and see how I feel x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm struggling with this! I'm 5' 3.5", 161.2 lbs, with a current bf% of 28.7. I'm pear-shaped and a small frame with the exception of my hips. I had a range in mind when I first starting losing weight and now I'm just not sure. Depending on the formula I use, my ideal weight is anywhere from 114 to 137.5lbs. Anyone have any good suggestions as to how to figure out what weight I should be shooting for?

A rule of thumb is for a woman take 100 lbs at 5' and add 5 lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal would be 117.5 (100+ 5*3.5).
    A rule of thumb for a man is to take 106 lbs at 5' and add 6lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal for a man would be 127.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I haven't worked out what my goal will be

i need to be between 110 - 145 which is a fair range.

my plan is too see what happens when I at least make it to 145 and then adjust it from there as I see what my body looks like
    and how I feel, I have always had broad shoulders and big feet so I doubt I will end up at the 110 range, but I also don't know
    if at 145, I will still feel overweight/not look right.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's a good question, and I wish I had an answer for you. I've always been heavy, so I don't know what my ideal body would even LOOK like let alone when I should stop. I'm interested to see everyone's answers :)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I had no idea. I've always been overweight so couldn't even look back to a time when i was a good weight. My wii fit told me what my recomended weight should be so i'm aiming for that give or take a few lbs. I'll see how i feel about my weight wehn i'm close to that.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options

A rule of thumb is for a woman take 100 lbs at 5' and add 5 lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal would be 117.5 (100+ 5*3.5).
    A rule of thumb for a man is to take 106 lbs at 5' and add 6lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal for a man would be 127.

So I should be 141lbs. :noway: :sad:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Have no idea where I should really be. I have a goal set, but if I get there and decide to lose more, I will or if I decide I lost too much, I'll figure that out too. Some people tell me I shouldn't lose anymore...I only have 13 pounds to go until I hit my goal I set when I started. I just laugh when people tell me I don't need to lose anymore and say "You don't see me naked, there is plenty more to lose"
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

what he said but you can also +/- 10%
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, there is no ideal weight!

I'm 5'5", and at 22 I weighted 133lbs. I looked healthy! I'm going to be 30 in a few days, and I'm currently 148lbs. I look slimmer than I did at 22 :huh: and I'm wearing smaller clothes (UK size 10). I'm at the top of the normal range on the BMI scale, but if I got down to the bottom I'd look ill!

For me, your ideal weight is a weight that you're happy with...
  • Ginalilly
    Options
    So if I worked this out right I should be 130lbs =(58kilos)
    I'd look so ill..!!! I'm 5'6"
    I'd like to be 65 kilos again roughly 145lbs that would be just nice!

...better stop my midnight munchie attacks! :-O
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight 10 years ago I got down to 130lbs (I'm 5'5"). The BMI range for me is 120-150. I'm aiming for 150 this time around and will re-evaluate once I get there. 10 years and two babies make a difference and I KNOW I'm not going to be able to maintain 130 :D
  • erickirb
    Options

So I should be 141lbs. :noway: :sad:

According to this I should be 142, and in my profile pic I was 142, I am now 145lbs. The other shirtless pic in my profile I was 138lbs
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

I'm 5'6" and my initial goal weight is 130lbs. so this formula fits me perfectly! Depending on how I look and feel, I might try for 125lbs.
  • erickirb
    Options

This rule is for a medium frame, small from could be 10% lower and large from 10% higher, it also, like BMI fails to look at BF%, which is the most important measure.
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    so i should be 105... well.... that just seems pretty unattainable for me, i have to say!!! I was going to reevaluate at 130 (I'm 160 now). anyway, i have a long way to go until i can even think about being under 130.
  • Northantsman
    Options
    I worked mine out using the Body Mass Index calculation. I went for something in the middle of the healthy range and then cross referenced it against my height, and then rounded to the nearest half stone.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options

hahaha your comments are always hilarious.

I'm 5'10 and I weigh 155lbs. I would like to be 140 but we will see. I would rather be 150 & toned then 140 & flabby.

Thankyou. I'm not often serious and I'm glad that comes through in my posts. I wondered because the type written word doesn't always translate.
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm going to talk to my doctor and maybe a nutritionist. The rule of thumb stuff just doesn't seem realistic for me (117.5 lbs when 114.9 lbs are bone and muscle???) so I'll figure it out as I go I guess.