Negative Calorie Foods

Options
I have heard a lot about celery being a food that actually burns calories, because it has almost none in itself and it takes energy to digest. are there any other of these foods?

Replies

• capetennis
    Options
    I have heard a lot about celery being a food that actually burns calories, because it has almost none in itself and it takes energy to digest. are there any other of these foods?
  • coensnana
    Options
    yes there are. you can google negative calorie foods and get a small list, mostly fruit and veggies, or you can buy the whole list. i wouldnt spend any money on it. they say it's good to mix it with other foods to get the proper nutrition, etc to lose weight.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think I bought a book on this a while ago and all it really is are fruits and veggies and isn't that what we should be eating a lot of anyways : )
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea I heard the same thing about celery- that you burn more calories just chewing it than what is actually in it. I've been having celery sticks w/ fat free ranch dip for my night-time snack :smile:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Vegetables

asparagus
    beets
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrots
    cauliflower
    celery
    chicory
    chili peppers
    cucumbers
    endive
    garlic
    lettuce
    onions
    papayas
    spinach
    turnip
    zucchini

Fruits

apples
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemons
    mangos
    oranges
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerines
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks, very interesting :)
  • sanlove
    Options
    Here's a great weight loss soup recipe---

Baptist Health Healthy Weight Loss Soup

2 cans fat free or 99% fat free beef broth
    2 lbs carrots (I use baby carrots)
    1 stalk celery
    3 or more stalks green onions
    2 bell peppers
    2 cans green beans (I use Italian green beans)-use the juice in can
    2 cans stewed tomatoes (I use 1 can Italian diced tomatoes/1 can diced tomatoes)
    1 pkg Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup

Combine all ingredients-Cook til all vegetables are tender.

This soup was developed for patients that needed to lose weight rapidly for surgery. You can lose 10 lbs in a week. The more you eat of this soup, the more you lose.

It's delicious, too!
  • ohmygodblake
    Options
    i am def. making that soup! thanks for the recipe. any idea on how many calories for a cup?
  • capetennis
    Options
    thanks for the soup recipe, ill definatly try it
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    That sounds really yummy! Thanks!
  • capetennis
    Options
    just had it. with a sandwich is a good meal, and a big bowl is only about 100 calories
  • laurenwatts
    Options
    Hey Everyone

Here is a list of food that is neg cal!! Food you should love because no matter how much you eat you will not put on weight!!

Fruits

apple
    cranberries
    grapefruit
    lemon
    mango
    orange
    pineapple
    raspberries
    strawberries
    tangerine

Vegetables

asparagus
    beet
    broccoli
    cabbage (green)
    carrot
    cauliflower
    celery
    Chile peppers (hot)
    cucumber
    dandelion
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    green beans
    lettuce
    onion
    papaya
    radishes
    spinach
    turnip
  • ChimyWang
    Options
    I'm going to agree with you on the vegetables being a negative food (if you calculate chewing as burning calories and the whole it requires energy to break it down, because it's true, but honestly it requires very little energy to break it down), but the fruits I'm going to disagree. Fruits are very healthy don't get me wrong but fruits have calories and are high in carbs. Don't get me wrong and think I'm one of those carbs are bad for you, because I'm the complete opposite. But eating 3 oranges before you go to sleep isn't gonna make you lose weight to not eating at all. That's all I'm saying.

So vegetables yes but I'm gonna say fruits no.
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    Options

1 stalk celery
    2 bell peppers
    2 cans stewed tomatoes (I use 1 can Italian diced tomatoes/1 can diced tomatoes)

This soup was developed for patients that needed to lose weight rapidly for surgery. You can lose 10 lbs in a week. The more you eat of this soup, the more you lose.

It's delicious, too!
    Just made the soup. I cannot believe how delicious it is!!!! Thanks
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    s
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

1 stalk celery
    2 bell peppers

It's delicious, too!

the soup sounds good, BUT.........

the suggestion that it is somehow healthy to lose ten lbs in a week sounds BAD.
    clearly that is not/should not be the goal. Right?
  • BeesBella
    BeesBella Posts: 24
    Options
    I think the 10lbs you lose is mainly water weight.
    Plus it's not the only thing you can eat, try googling cabbage soup diet, you can eat fruits and veggies and on some days meat and jacket potatoe too.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the calories your body uses to digest foods is already accounted for in your RMR. Therefore you still need to log supposed "negative calorie foods"

ps- a lot of the foods on that list are NOT negative calorie foods and will add up quickly.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Guys, this is kind of a myth. Until someone produces some well documented research on how many calories it takes to digest a specific food type (and I haven't seen any studies done on this specific process), there's no way to know what foods would fall into this category. To be sure, foods high in fiber are more balanced then others, and foods with complex carbs in them, and lots of specific types of vitamins may take longer and therefore use more calories to digest, but we just don't know how many it takes, be very careful with this stuff guys!
  • icandoallthings
    icandoallthings Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the soup is good for you and gets your tummy full but it kinda reminds
    me of that "Cabbage Soup Diet".
    http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/eating-plan.html

I lost 10 lbs in a week like the diet promises but the weight comes back on
    immediately. I've done it a few times but never again. Having to eat
    that soup every single day with those instructions almost made me barf. :sick:
    When I finally got to day 6, just the *smell* of that soup made me nauseous.

Moderation is key (for me). Hey! That rhymed! :wink: