Sometimes the 3500 calories = a pound Rule doesn't apply!

Options
Just to make y'all feel better about any slow progress you might be facing, I'm going to share my experience from my 7 day February vacation (February 16 - 22). In a nutshell, in those 7 days, I gained 9.4 pounds. Yep. Really.

But my calorie surplus was about 4804 for that entire seven day period (yes, I tracked everything!). That equates to 1.4 pounds of gain, despite three good days' running. So why the big difference?

I forgot my thyroid pill for one day. That was enough to knock my metabolism back, and combined with the increase in calories and the lack of fiber in my diet, made for this huge increase. And I could tell it by the fit of my jeans. Unfortunately for those of us with a hypothyroid disorder, it only comes on fast. Taking it off is slow. But it can be done.

After two weeks of diligence, that 9.4 pounds is gone and I'm back to where I was three weeks ago. Phew!

I share this only so that folks without a thyroid disorder can embrace and cherish their health, and so that folks with a thyroid disorder will remember that they aren't alone. It IS much tough for us to reach and maintain a healthy weight, but with dlligence in terms of taking our meds and controlling our diets and getting our exercise, it can be done.

And it also tells you that even for us trainers, who are on track most of the time, we do have our "off" days (or weeks). Nobody is perfect,but thankfully it's not about being perfect. It's about being on target 90% of the time. :drinker:

Replies

• jewel3575
    jewel3575 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Robin, would you say how much fiber you take would contribute to slow progress??
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

I forgot my thyroid pill for one day. That was enough to knock my metabolism back, and combined with the increase in calories and the lack of fiber in my diet, made for this huge increase. And I could tell it by the fit of my jeans. Unfortunately for those of us with a hypothyroid disorder, it only comes on fast. Taking it off is slow. But it can be done.

I asked my dr about this when I saw her, I see an Endocronologist because I have PCOS and was diagnosed with HypoThyrodism in December. She wanted to test my thyroid a second time after I was on Synthroid for 6 weeks. I was telling her that I missed two days of my medicine and I felt very tired and it seemed as though my thyroid was off.... She told me that the medication is to stablize the thyroid and missing the medication for 1, 2 or even 3 days I would not see an effect on my thyroid. She said that many patients feel that if they miss a dose of their medication they assume that their symptoms are related to missing the dose, but in actuality they are not. That the medication is not a miracle pill which works like a switch. She has said one of the reasons they test for thyroid every 6 weeks is because it takes several weeks for the medication to actually start doing it's job, and it would then take several weeks for it to knock your thyroid off as well. Which makes perfect sense.
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I do not have a thyroid disorder but i can really appreciate when someone who through my eyes looks just about perfect can be honest and say that they struggle and had a hard time. I do have PCOS which makes it harder t lose weight and keep it off as well so I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your honesty and willingness to teach others.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been on pills for my thyroid for years sadly, since I was about 16. I never had blood work tested as a child, so my high weight as a child might be due to the thyroid being messed up even then. But, I can definately relate to it being hard to get the weight off... I have been at this for over 60 days, and now have seemed to reach a bit of a plateu/ a little gain. Like you though, I will try to work at it and get it to start coming off again. Good luck!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

I asked my dr about this when I saw her, I see an Endocronologist because I have PCOS and was diagnosed with HypoThyrodism in December. She wanted to test my thyroid a second time after I was on Synthroid for 6 weeks. I was telling her that I missed two days of my medicine and I felt very tired and it seemed as though my thyroid was off.... She told me that the medication is to stablize the thyroid and missing the medication for 1, 2 or even 3 days I would not see an effect on my thyroid. She said that many patients feel that if they miss a dose of their medication they assume that their symptoms are related to missing the dose, but in actuality they are not. That the medication is not a miracle pill which works like a switch. She has said one of the reasons they test for thyroid every 6 weeks is because it takes several weeks for the medication to actually start doing it's job, and it would then take several weeks for it to knock your thyroid off as well. Which makes perfect sense.

That's what I used to think. And my doc said the same thing but then, to settle things, he wanted to do a test. Knowing that I'm a meticulous diary-er of my food, he wanted to experiment with my staying on track but missing one pill. This kind of variance went on over several weeks. After the "testing period" he told me that he was doing this to show me that one pill now and then wouldn't make a difference, and to verify the conventional medical wisdom that it wouldn't. Interestingly, for my and the doctor, it did make a difference. My weight shot up despite no changes to my running schedule (time/distance/pace) and an exact diet. We avoided that time of the month to eliminate that influence, so we could only surmise (not scientifically established of course) that it did make a difference to MY metabolism, for some reason he couldn't explain. And I've seen that variance repeated over the years. In fact, my family jokes when I say I've missed a pill, "Better get your fat jeans out of the closet". All, in humor of course, because this is just one of those things I have to deal with. Real life. But that's okay. I'm good with it.

Clearly the complete negation of the 3500 calories equals a pound rule is thoroughly disrupted by small changes of diet and/or medication, because there is no other explanation for the mathematical variance that I can think of. And how else could one explain a 9.4 pound weight LOSS in the past two weeks when my calorie deficit wasn't nearly that big? It wasn't loss of lean muscle mass because my lean went up during the past two weeks and my fat percentage dropped. It's crazy math that I'd love for someone much more sophisticated than me, my regular doctor, or my endocrinologist, to explain!

Generally, I think the rule you cited is probably accurate. But that's the reason I posted here -- clearly it isn't always true for every one, under all conditions. Knowing that, and knowing that one can get right back on track, is something that I hope will be reassuring for someone out there. It's frustrating but nothing we can't overcome! :)
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Robin, would you say how much fiber you take would contribute to slow progress??

For me it makes a difference. And we'd need a medical confirmation of why, but it's my understanding that it has to do with hydration and the transport of the food I eat through my body. I know that when I drop my fiber intake (I usually try to get at least 30 grams a day, sometimes much more!), my weight loss slows. I'm not convinced that means that I am losing fat any slower, but it does affect my weight (but I'm not a fan of caring too much about the scale alone -- I frequently calculate my body fat percentage!).

If you don't eat enough fiber, give it a try to see if it makes a difference to you. But drink plenty of water and ease into it, otherwise your body WILL complain about the sudden increase in fiber! LOL
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I can keep the exact same schedule, and gain weight if I have missed a day or two. My thyroid isn't completely stable either, so I also notice that when I really plateau for ages (combined with feeling sluggish), I usually need to be tested and have my dose increased. I felt better reading your post Robin. I just got back from a trip as well. I gained 4 lbs in one week! I feel bad for you, but there is a small piece of me that is happy that some one is there with me understanding how easy it comes on and how SLOOOOOOOOWWWW to come off. I admit, I ate ALOT! But I also drank a tonne of water, ate a PILE of fresh fruits, vegtables, fish and chicken! I also exercised ALOT! On the down side, I also ate loads of taco chips, guacomole, refried beans and decadent desserts! I also forgot my thyroid medication 2X and took it rather irregularly (different times of the day). I also believe this makes a difference (despite what the doctors say).

Oh well, I enjoyed the food, I totally expected the gain and I am getting back to reality and back on track! Thanks for the post and being in the same predictament as me Robyn!