I didn't bring lunch today, any healthy suggestions??

Options
I wasn't able to bring my lunch today, so I have to run out and get something, I did bring my healthy snacks. I don't like eating out, but I don't have a choice for today. Subway seems like the only choice, but ALL that bread.

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    They have salads. You can get any sandwich made into a salad, save yourself carbs and calories.
  • marylynn04
    marylynn04 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Are you close to a Wendy's? A baked potato with chili is a pretty good option...
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Any of the larger food chains near by? Hummus with a low fat Triscuits lots of protien
  • hmiddleton17
    Options
    I really like the subway club salad with fat free italian dressing. Yummy! Very low cal! At Wendys you can get a side salad and light dressing and a small chili. Good options too!! Good luck!!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    LOL... Subway is also my fall back in case I didn't get a chance to pack lunch! Panera has a couple (very very few) reasonable choices as well.

Do you have a supermarket near you? I do and that the other alternative I have... I go and pick up a can of soup and some fresh veggies or fruit or yogurt... bonus if they have a salad bar (mine doesn't).
  • Mel_MisFit_Mae
    Mel_MisFit_Mae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    MMM MMMM THAI ....FRESH SPRING ROLLS ......
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Subway, Taco Bell or Salad from most fast food restaurants.....good luck...
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    stick with wheat or the whole grain oat bread... if you are really worried about the bread, ask them to remove some of it from the inside when they cut it open before they put the meat and veggies on it.
  • Trjlove
    Trjlove Posts: 28
    Options
    I am not sure what is near you. Jason's Deli is great. They have alot of organic and fresh options. A good take out salad bar.

Subway is another option, go with a flat wrap or salad. Then too if you just get a 6 inch with a high grain bread, it won't be so bad.
    Just walk afterwards to help compensate for the bread.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    their mini, or 6in veggie delight with no mayo, no cheese, just vinegar is a great choice. Toss in a bag of apples and a bottle of water ;)
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love Arby's Market Fresh salads. They are giant and the one with turkey/ham is only 250 calories. I get the buttermilk ranch dressing and only use half the pack so that adds another 100 calories, but 350 calories total completely works with my calorie goal for lunch.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Or you can go to the grocery store and get you something there.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A Gas station might be a better choice than fast food. Gas Stations sometimes have boiled eggs (good protein) and fresh fruit. Beef Jerky is great too (be careful of MSG though and NO SLIM JIMS) Of course.....a grocery store is the best choice...you can get deli meat, avacado and some veggies. AVOID FAST FOOD. IT IS PROCESSED AND HORRIBLE...EVEN THE SALADS!
  • nannabur4
    nannabur4 Posts: 24
    Options
    I say go to a gas station, grab a banana and some almonds! They always help me feel full in a crunch. Lots of water
  • ajstrs
    ajstrs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a recently converted fan of McDonald's Fruit and Maple Oatmeal. Filling, less than 300 cals, around $2.00, served all day. Ask them to put the apples and raisins on the side so you can decide how you want to mix it up.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are in VA, but if you're near a Jamba Juice go get that. A 16oz smoothie and a blueberry lemon bar should be close to, but under, 300 calories and very filling. You can even get a lower calorie smoothie if you choose one of their all fruit options. They are so yummy too! That's one of my healthy treats if I don't want to eat the lunch I bring to work.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are in VA, but if you're near a Jamba Juice go get that. A 16oz smoothie and a blueberry lemon bar should be close to, but under, 300 calories and very filling. You can even get a lower calorie smoothie if you choose one of their all fruit options. They are so yummy too! That's one of my healthy treats if I don't want to eat the lunch I bring to work.

The majority of Jamba's fruit smoothies are over 300 calories (for a 16 ounce). Add a lemon bar and thats another 290 calories (that's the reduced fat version). That comes out to a 600 calories lunch that has little to no protein, fiber, and zero vegetables-- not the best choice!!

Go with a Subway salad-- ask them to "toast" peppers, onions, mushrooms, and chicken for you, then put it on the salad!
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    Also, the grilled chicken snack wrap from McDonalds has only 250 calories if you ask for it without sauce. Get a back of sliced apples and a bottled water and you have a 300 calorie lunch :)
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, looks like I might be getting half a tuna sandwhich at Panera with a side salad.