Menopause Weight Loss Newbie!

Options
:flowerforyou: hello there!

I am new( since yesterday) and just starting to try to lose the weight I've put on since menopause. I'm 52 and am pretty frustrated with the belly weight gain as well as general aging problems from arthritis to wrinkles!!! It is true....nearly impossible it seems to lose weight after menopause.

I've been on the thin side my whole life 5'9" always around 130 pounds, have eaten healthfully, consistantly excersied and now seems out of nowhere I am 150 pounds!! Truth is that it has come on slowly over the past 5 years. Probably because I got remarried and began to enjoy life with more food/fun.

So, now here I am....really wanting to do it now....lose it!

I'd appreciate any advice or friends from you women who are experiencing the same sort of thing!

Thanks!
Julia :heart:

Replies

• glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    OMG I hear ya...I am going to be 45 and have put on 20 lbs in the last year and half. I am having a horrible time getting it off.
    I try and be good and loose 1 pound in 2 weeks then get all discouraged and gain 3 back... It is hard...

I have put my mind to it right now that until my trip to Mexico in May I am giving 110% to loosing some weight...

Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe together we can do it!!!!!
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Julia - I'm experiencing the same problem right now! I'm dealing with it by sticking to 1200 cals a day and trying to get a little exercise in every day - so far it's going pretty well - but it's a very slow 1lb a week loss - I have a blog at wordpress if you want to take a look http://dizidaisy.wordpress.com/

Good luck!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just went through menopause....a few years of non stop hotflashes and also weight gain.

I finally started tracking all my calories and found out that I only need 1600 to maintain..so it wasn't such a mystery why I was gaining.

I've been staying around 1200 calories and I have lost 22 pounds so far....still have about 10 to go to be back to "normal"

It's hard enough looking in the mirror and seeing an old lady....but to have all that fat on me as well was more than I could handle.....

I was hoping maybe some extra weight would look nice.....fill out my face a little.......but it all went to my stomach :-(

I figure... even if I'm getting old and wrinkly......if i keep a nice slim figure I will be able to dress nice and look "classy" like my Dutch ( very classy) mother :-)

So.......keeping track of what you eat works very well...and this site is great for that!! I have also started to eat a lot healthier...mostly organic, and less processed.... I figured my skin needs all the help it can get from natural foods :-)
    Hopefully it's not "too little-too late" :-)

I also work out 3 times a week...even though it's not hard core...I walk fast on the treadmill and I lift some weights to try to keep the bones strong..

Good luck !.........
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey, we have much in common!

I feel too that even if I have to age, I can still feel good about myself and you are CORRECT, it is so hard to look in the mirror and see yourself changing from a youthful woman to an aging onw - tough on the self esteem to say the least!

Really appreciate all your thoughts. Please feel welcome to add me as a friend! :smile:
  • juliapurpletoes
    Options
    :smile:

Thank you, I will check out your blog - how fun!!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration! Nice to find people who are going through the same things. I've been stuggling this year but finally made up my mind in February to really put some effort into this. I've been walking or biking 60 minutes 5 days a week. Since Feb 15 I've lost 9 pounds. It really helps to track everything that goes in your mouth. Add me as a friend if you like. Good luck everyone! :)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    This is going to be a great thread! I went through menopause very early in life (36!), but still suffer from hot flashes, as well as that stubborn weight gain. I am currently working my way through Power 90, and in the 32 days I have completed, have lost nothing!! But I know I'm gaining muscle from the circuit training, so hopefully that tipping point will happen soon where the muscle starts burning off the fat. I've lost an inch off my waist and hips each, so it's got to be doing something! I have set my calories at 1300, and try to eat into my exercise calories burned...it's tough! Thanks for letting me vent, and good luck everyone!
  • goedelen
    goedelen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Just started today. It is so hard to look in the mirror and see a stranger looking back. I hope with the food and exercise tools that I can get a handle on the weight, at least. Thanks for sharing your stories.
  • dianeody
    dianeody Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there
    i am 53 years old and definately in the middle of the menopause. i have been going to the gym regularly for the last 5 years and over that time i have lost 3 stone. i have recently put 1 of them back on mainly because of joint problems slowing me down and putting an end to running and cycling.
    i am finding it more and more difficult to regulate my diet as sometimes i feel like 'what's the point' as i am getting old and looking older - so i do cheat a lot more than i used to. i do know however, that if i keep an eye on my calories i can lose the weight.
    i have had a good day today kept to the diet and been to the gym. Wishing everyone a good day tomorrow - stick to it - good luck.
  • jrck00
    jrck00 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am so glad to see this thread. I went through menopause at 26 due to medical reasons ( I am 35 now). I didn't gain much weight until the last couple of years, but am finding it alot harder to remove :) I eat 1200 calories a day, more if I exercise, and will lose some and then gain some...very frustrating to say the least. I find that stress gets me more than it used to so I need to take time to chill.
  • juliapurpletoes
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou:

Thank you everyone for sharing here! I am really appreciating all of your stories and I hope everyone will keep posting and sharing all thoughts!

I do really know that by checking in with friends you can get the support and achieve what we want....

I never thought in a million years with all my efforts (eating and even teaching aerobic style exercise for 10 years) I wouldn't be able to lose weight doing all the usual things....THEN THE HORMONES FLIP OUT AND MESS UP ALL THE PLANS!! :explode:

julia
  • dlherbert
    dlherbert Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for posting. I am new to the site. It is really nice to hear you ladies having the same issues. Tracking calories was a real eye opener for me. Realizing how many your body really does not need.
  • juliapurpletoes
    Options
    So, I am wondering ....can we start a group, is it possible!?!?

Or do we just keep checking this thread? I've read some older menopause related threads and they seem to die off after a bit.

I can't figure this site out easily YET!

Nice to see your comments in my news feed, thanks to you who have friended me.....this is so much more fun than trying to do it all on my own!

:flowerforyou:

julia