How do you know when to step up the workout?

Still_Sossy
Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been doing Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown for 5 weeks now. I really like it and have gotten stronger with it. Here is the dilema, I still have great difficulty with the chaturanga push ups, holds, and hovers. The holding in plank when in Dolphin and side planks. Every other exercise and postition is very easy and holds no challenge. I am not burning the calories I was before either I was burning between 208 - 232 each session now I am down to around 172 calories per session. What gives?

Replies

• Mandie_P
    Mandie_P Posts: 5 Member
    If the majority of the workout is "easy" for you then I would suggest you step it up. Your body gets in the habit of doing certain exercises, so you will always see a decline in calories burned. I would suggest switching up your workout at least ever couple of weeks to keep your body guessing. That is the benefit of the interval trainng videos. You're doing a different workout everyday so the body never gets comfortable. Have you looked into Insanity or P90x? I know they're quite expensive but they seem to have a ton of validated users. I'm currently doing Insanity.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    as with anything once you do it for a while your body gets "used" to you doing it, change it up a bit, do something else for a while.
  • DJH3
    DJH3 Posts: 243
    One thing I was SO thrilled to learn *sarcasm* was that as we lose weight we burn less calories doing the same exercises we were doing when we were bigger. Plus your body conditions to doing the same thing over and over. Just my input.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    It sounds like you are ready for a change of pace. Your body will get used to what you are doing. I always try to switch it up every 4-6 weeks. If you think about it you are working the same muscles and if you vary your workout even if it is still Yoga but doing something different you will use different muscle that haven't been worked.
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Keep in mind... calories burned = energy burned.

If your body is getting used to the exercise, it may burn less because some of the muscles being used are toning (a good thing).

You could continue doing what you're doing and add a little something to offset the change. Perhaps, try an exercise or two that require different muscle groups to be worked.... that will make a difference, too.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    If only you had a great BeachBody coach to suggest a new program! Oh ya you do!!
    Its on its way and your free gifts are too! If you need a tracking number let me know.
    Can't wait to hear about your progress and it sounds like its arriving just in time!!

Update - delivered to post office today
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    If only you had a great BeachBody coach to suggest a new program! Oh ya you do!!
    Its on its way and your free gifts are too! If you need a tracking number let me know.
    Can't wait to hear about your progress and it sounds like its arriving just in time!!

Update - delivered to post office today

Thanks, I have been anxiously awaiting it!
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    In all honesty, from what I remember going through "weight training" and nutrition courses high school, your body will adjust to a routine within about 2 weeks. So it's good to always switch up the routine, even just a little bit, to give your body a shock. For instance, for people who use resistance training, they might do 4x10 for 2 weeks, then 4x4 the next 2 weeks. But I also agree that if you're comfortable with a routine, keep doing it until you see that it's not working anymore. I have staved off weight training because I'm still losing (although, I should be alternating it in anyway). I'm keeping that in my back pocket for when I plateau. Another thing I'll eventually try is P90X. Seeing as how I have had the DVDs for about 2 years now and have yet to watch any. lol
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    One thing I was SO thrilled to learn *sarcasm* was that as we lose weight we burn less calories doing the same exercises we were doing when we were bigger. Plus your body conditions to doing the same thing over and over. Just my input.

Forgot about that aspect of it... the body becoming more efficient and burning less as we decrease in size/mass.
This discussion has been closed.