Bisquick

Options
annj1019
annj1019 Posts: 17 Member
I bought a thing of bisquick before I started dieting and am not sure what I could make with it now that would not be way high in fat or calories or sodium. My husband is kinda picky and likes stuff with flavor. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I love bisquick.. although I don't know how to make it more healthy other than cooking with apple sauce instead of oil (equal parts) using egg whites instead of the whole egg. and maybe mixing part bisquick with part whole wheat flower or some mixture of the sort.

Im sure you could find recipes.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    just enjoy Bisquick- it's not too bad just don't eat a lot of it...have one pancake not 2...you shouldn't eliminate everything to lose weight cut back the portion...have fun.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    just enjoy Bisquick- it's not too bad just don't eat a lot of it...have one pancake not 2...you shouldn't eliminate everything to lose weight cut back the portion...have fun.

I agree everything in moderation is ok.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Agreed. My husband and I still make pancakes on occation, but we measure mine out to get the right portion size. I also add fresh blueberries to the mix to get a serving of fruit, you could also use raspberries, strawberries, whatever you like. I forgo the butter and measure out the syrup so they aren't swimming in it. I've actually come to find that the portion sizes marked on packages are very sufficient. Don't cut out everything you love, that's when the cravings and the urge to binge get really bad. Just watch the frequency and the portion size. :)
  • Hoffmandm
    Hoffmandm Posts: 12
    Options
    Maybe you can make it into a crust and make a vegy pizza. You ca substitute the oil for apple sauce like was mentioned here. You can use low fat cream cheese and mayo for the sauce. You can spice it up with onions (I hate them though) or jalapenos (love em) or banana peppers. I usually just use broccoli. cauliflower, and carrots. then low fat mozzarella. Fat free cheese is awful. to me fat free cheese is a waste of calories. You can put whatever you want on it. Now I want to make one. I usually use a crescent roll for the crust but you could use the bisquick I bet.
  • audbbgirl
    audbbgirl Posts: 83
    Options
    They have a new heart healthy bisquick that is better for you but that does not help since you already bought the box huh?
    Moderation is the key as everyone else has stated
  • Hoffmandm
    Hoffmandm Posts: 12
    Options

Agreed. My husband and I still make pancakes on occation, but we measure mine out to get the right portion size. I also add fresh blueberries to the mix to get a serving of fruit, you could also use raspberries, strawberries, whatever you like. I forgo the butter and measure out the syrup so they aren't swimming in it. I've actually come to find that the portion sizes marked on packages are very sufficient. Don't cut out everything you love, that's when the cravings and the urge to binge get really bad. Just watch the frequency and the portion size. :)

You couldn't have said it better! Deprivation does cause cravings! Then you end up going overboard. :devil:
  • audbbgirl
    audbbgirl Posts: 83
    Options
    Maybe you can make it into a crust and make a vegy pizza. You ca substitute the oil for apple sauce like was mentioned here. You can use low fat cream cheese and mayo for the sauce. You can spice it up with onions (I hate them though) or jalapenos (love em) or banana peppers. I usually just use broccoli. cauliflower, and carrots. then low fat mozzarella. Fat free cheese is awful. to me fat free cheese is a waste of calories. You can put whatever you want on it. Now I want to make one. I usually use a crescent roll for the crust but you could use the bisquick I bet.

You can add ranch dressing powder to the cream cheese and use it as the sauce and add fresh vegetables...it is a cold veggie pizza and is delicious!!
  • Andy_Anne
    Andy_Anne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Turn it into Protein Muffins or Protein Pancakes.... this might sound gross, but it's really good once you cook it:

2 cup bisquick
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 scoop AnyWhey (branded) protein powder (can be gotten from amazon or local health food store)
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/4 - 1/2 c skim milk (I can't remember which exactly i use, start with 1/4, add more if too thick)
    Cinnamon to taste (i use 1 tblsp because i like the cinnamon taste)
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp sugar

Pour into muffin pans and bake or make as pancakes... now you've turned up the protein content and made yummy treats. I like to make these into muffins on a Sunday and grab one daily for a snack.

I will say it looks pretty gross when you mix it, but I think it tastes great! My kids and my husband even eat them. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Turn it into Protein Muffins or Protein Pancakes.... this might sound gross, but it's really good once you cook it:

2 cup bisquick
    1 scoop AnyWhey (branded) protein powder (can be gotten from amazon or local health food store)
    1/2 c applesauce
    1/4 - 1/2 c skim milk (I can't remember which exactly i use, start with 1/4, add more if too thick)
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp sugar

Pour into muffin pans and bake or make as pancakes... now you've turned up the protein content and made yummy treats. I like to make these into muffins on a Sunday and grab one daily for a snack.

I will say it looks pretty gross when you mix it, but I think it tastes great! My kids and my husband even eat them. :)

do you know how many muffins this makes and how many calories per serving? it sound great! the only thing I would adjust is some dark chocolate chips. I justify that by saying that they are full of anti oxidents! lol =):ohwell:
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    Use Bisquick to make dumplings in a homeade soup or stew and you have a satisfying meal. You can control the size of dumplings you make to fit your nutritional goals.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use bisquick (usually heart healthy) to make biscuits, I just make them really small! I think it says it makes 6 or 8 biscuits, but I make 10. Satisfies the craving for the fluffy biscuits! As long as you limit that is :smile:
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

2 cup bisquick
    1/2 c applesauce
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp sugar

Can you use any protien powder of does it have to be that kind? I have a chocolate protien powder that bought but don't like to drink cause of the flavor, but its good in recipes.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I think WDWGHETTOGIRL is EXACTLY right!!!!
  • annj1019
    Options
    Thank you Everyone for the suggestions. I appreciate them!!! Please feel free to add me if you want more friends. :)
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Go to Spark Recipes and do a keyword search for Bisquick.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/
  • annj1019
    Options
    WOW Thank you!!! There are several recipes on this website that will work perfectly. Thank you!
  • Andy_Anne
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm going to address both q's.....

1. I use a muffin pan that makes 12 regular sized muffins. Here is what comes up from my recipe builder program:

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 106.7

Total Fat 1.5 g

Saturated Fat 0.1 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.8 g

Cholesterol 1.0 mg

Sodium 468.6 mg

Potassium 66.3 mg

Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g

Dietary Fiber 0.4 g

Sugars 2.9 g

Protein 7.1 g

2. You probably could use other protein powders. I just know that AnyWhey says it's ok to bake with on the package, so that's why I chose it.

3. My recipe has one mistake - i use 2 scoops of powder. Sorry.
  • Andy_Anne
    Options
    OH - also should mention i buy the heart smart kind of bisquick... i think it's a little lower in calories/fat... so if you use regular bisquick, there is probably a shift in calories per muffin.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    OH - also should mention i buy the heart smart kind of bisquick... i think it's a little lower in calories/fat... so if you use regular bisquick, there is probably a shift in calories per muffin.

Yes, if you bought the regular kind of bisquick, STOP RIGHT THERE!

Regular bisquick has tons of trans fat. If you're okay with that, then go right ahead and make the bisquick recipes (I suggest pizza, biscuits and cookies) but if you are trying to stay away from trans fat, throw it away now :ohwell: