Menopause Weight Gain

Options
I am going to be 45 soon and for the last year have put on over 20 pounds. I am having a terrible time getting it off.
I will be good and then loose 1 pound only to put 2 back on....

I am so glad I found this website. I would like to know from others who have suffered from the menopause weight gain and how you were able to over come it and loose the weight. I know it is not going to be easy but I have to do it. I am tired of looking in the mirror and see me getting not only older but fat!

I have a trip coming up in May that I really want to loose 15 pounds for. I know that is a lot to loose in a short amount of time. I will really be happy to loose 10 and loose another 10 by the end of summer.

Any help and words of encouragement from you all would be grateful...

thanks
Gina

Replies

• rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm 42 and went through menopause in my late 30's. It's getting harder and harder each year to get the weight off. I've worked in weights with the cardio this time around and really hope it will make a difference! Good luck!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot during menopause as well, especially around the middle. In my journey this year the middle is the last to respond (dang it). But am making progress. Don't expect I will ever get my 26 inch waist back, but would settle for 28 LOL. Good luck, hang in there.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi Gina. Oh yes the dreaded mid-section! I'm 45 and will be 46 this year. I also have gained 20 pounds over the last few years. I hadn't had much success at weight loss until I joined here 30 days ago. The food diary really keeps me accountable by having to write down everything I put in my mouth. My metabolism has slowed down so much but I'm finding it isn't impossible to lose. I've lost 7 lbs in the 30 days I've been on here. For me, the support on here is great. Surround yourself with people that with goals that are similiar to yours and read the posts and interact with the people on here. The big thing for me was drinking lots of water. I'm starting to exercise again and that feels good. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck on your weight loss journey:) You can do it!!
  • csinor373
    Options
    I'm 45 as well and trying to avoid the midlife spread. I too have had the gain 5, lose 3, gain 2, lose 1 roller coaster over the last year. Luckily, I found this website and have lost 8 pounds since joining in mid-January (actually 14 if you could count the up/down).

I've noticed that most of my weight is from water retention so I have to watch the salty foods that my body still craves during the second week of each month. I also have noticed that 1 margarita can add 5 lbs of fluid, whereas it takes 2 glasses of wine to add that much. Carbs are also wicked when it comes to water retention so I have to pay attention to those too (which is so hard because I love Italian food!) I've also noticed I seem to drop a few pounds when I eat more protein and vegetables for several days.

The other thing that has really helped is that I've been exercising with my new set of Zumba CD's. OMG I love them! The combination of salsa, Cuban, Reggae and other Latin rhythyms makes me forget I'm exercising, especially since I love to dance. The steps are easy to learn and you burn anywhere from 400-1000 calories depending on how long you exercise (20, 40 or 50 min) and how much effort you put into it. In just two 20 minutes sessions, my "baby roll" was visably flatter! I was amazed considering I had been doing sit ups and other ab work and never saw results. I swear by Zumba now!
  • glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.... I am determined to get at least the weight off I have put on and anything extra will be a bonus!!

thanks
    Gina
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    I totally agree with the salt issue. I set my food diary to track sodium and was amazed at the foods that contained salt! Oh my! Excessive salt will definately hinder your weight loss and make you retain water.
  • glcarr65
    glcarr65 Posts: 74
    Options
    I totally agree with the salt issue. I set my food diary to track sodium and was amazed at the foods that contained salt! Oh my! Excessive salt will definately hinder your weight loss and make you retain water.

I never really thought of the salt issue and I do use salt...OUCH..
    I guess no more salt for me....... and I have given up the margaritas for wine...trying though the next 60 days no alcohol at all.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girls! always carried my wieght in my behind but since I hit my late 40's my middle is where everything seems to rest. Seriously started my journey the day after valentines day and have been prety successful. I've been walking 5 days a week and keeping track of everything I eat. Salt is definitely an issue with me so I try to really watch that. I had a can of Progresso High Fiber soup last week and put on 2 pounds that stuck with me for 4 days. Does anyone know of a support group on this site for ladies like us? Feel free to friend me since I haven't really started adding anyone yet (not sure how to do it -lol)
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    kentj, to add someone as a friend, just click their name which will take you to their profile and then you will see at top add friend:) Adding you now:)
  • tweetyfeet
    Options
    IM 41 HAD IT ALL TAKEN OUT THIS PASS JULY AND HAVE GAINED 20 SO I HOPE WE CAN ALL STICK TOGETHER TO HELP CAUSE IT WONT DROP OFF IM A VEGAN SO EVEN HARDER
  • aplozano
    aplozano Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi everyone, I too have been going through menopause since I turned 42, I am now 55 and the weight is very hard to take off. Since the beginning of this year I have take off eight pounds, I joined mfp the beginning of February and it helps alot, but now I seem to stuck, for the last three weeks I have not lost a pound.
    Even though I am still watching what I eat and exercising five days per week for 30 minutes each day. But I will have to look at the salt intake though, maybe that might be the trouble here. I love this site and all the advise from everyone.
    Penny:smile:
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I have gained over 20 lbs since Mentalpause has started. It is horribly frustrating. :grumble: I love the support from this site. :happy: I have not lost anything since joining a month ago but I have hopes that the wiser decisions will become easier as I go. I haven't been able to break away from the snack box at work :noway:

Everyone on MFP have been so positive and upbeat. We've all got our good days and bad so please give it a fighting chance - if you want this as bad as we do - we can help you get there! :flowerforyou:
  • merriedawn
    Options
    I am right there as well. I have put on 30 pounds this last year or so. Menopause is making it impossible to lose weight and I am hating it!! If anyone figures this out I would love to know the answer. If anyone would like to add me as a friend that is great... I could use all the support I can get through this journey :)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    One thing to check as we enter (or exit as the case may be) our 40's, is our thyroid levels. Especially in women, our thyroids can start to poop out on us about menopause time. And as your thyroid slows down, weight gain can occur. So, if you haven't had your thyroid levels checked lately, it may not be a bad idea to do so. Many times it is just our eating and lack of exercise, but if there is a medical reason and something that will help the weight loss, what a bonus!
  • merriedawn
    Options
    maybe we should start our own support group for menopausal women on mfp.......lol
  • lisazar
    lisazar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and going through the same things. I was gaining weight around the middle where I never had before plus all of the other emotional ups and downs. I went to my Dr and asked for some advice and she said all women go through it and we have to learn to just deal with it. I didn't like that answer so I started to research my options (www.hormonewell.com) and switched doctors. My new Dr did some hormone tests and helped me by recommending certain vitamins like B complex, pregnonolene and BIHRT which have all really helped. I also joined a weight management program and started exercising more. It has not been easy, but I am down 19.2 lbs since July 2010. Do your research girls and find a doctor that will listen! :)
  • ATBC
    ATBC Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm new to the site and find your post enlightening. Many of the responses are very helpful. I wish you will on meeting our goal. In additional to watchinng your salt intake, it may be a good ideal to give yourself a good cleansing and stay hydrated.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angela! If anyone decides to start a group let us know.