Any other Grave's Disease sufferers?

Options
I figured with a forum this big, there has GOT to be someone(s) else out there dealing with the fallout of Grave's Disease. Anyone up for chattin' about that?

Replies

• barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Wow! No-one? Really? Maybe I should've put "Boobs" as the tagline! :)
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had it when I was younger. Took meds for years and then it regulated itself. Haven't been on meds or had any problems for years.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I had it when I was younger. Took meds for years and then it regulated itself. Haven't been on meds or had any problems for years.

So your levels have completely returned to normal? Are they considering it full remission then?
  • krwtvl02
    krwtvl02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Graves Disease. I was diagnosed in 2008 and it was hard, painful because it started out with a cough. I coughed for 6 months straight. Awful!. The doctors thought I had ashma and put me on ashma meds and I didn't have it. My breathing was shallow because of the coughing. I always had broncitis (i know I spelled it wrong) so that didn't help at all. I stopped smoking thinking that that would help my cough (and it didn't). They finally took my blood and my thyroid levels were over 600. They put me on anti-thyroid med for a 6 months and the coughing stop almost immediately. I started loosing weight drastically. I went from 218 to 170 in 3 months. So I started with Hyperthyroidism. I mean at night, I would be sweating so much and my heart was beating so fast and hard I would literally loose 5 pounds then next day. It like being on a treadmil all night. Then my Indocrinologist wanted me to take the radioaction iodine pill. I did. My levels came down from 600-130. She wasn't satified with that and 8 months after that I had to retake the radioaction pill again and they upped the dosage to 25 mg. That brought it way down. The doctor put me on 150 mcg Synthroid. Now I'm in Hypo mode and trying to loose weight again. I went from Oct 2009 at 170 to present 230. I've gained alot of weight. Now I'm 230 and slowing going down.

I hope this helps. If you need to talk about it, feel free to send me a note. I'm here for you.

Rita
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options

So your levels have completely returned to normal? Are they considering it full remission then?

Yep. They caught it when I was young, in fifth grade. My resting heart rate at that time was like 120. That's what tipped them off. I still have my levels checked every year, but theyve been normal for probably 10 years.
  • traininglady911
    traininglady911 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had Grave's and in 1995 took a iodine pill laced with radiation. It calmed the hyper-thyroid symptoms. Then they waited almost a year to "let my system settle" before they began thryoid replacement pills. I was in my fifties at the time and at first they thought it was menopause. My heart started racing so fast, I called the doctor and they had an EKG waiting for me by the time I got there. During the year they were waiting, I ballooned to an all-time high of 260!! Now, in my 60-somethings, no thyroid (I take two 112 mcg tablets per day) and trying to lose weight with a slower metabolism, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE. I hope they can help you in less time than a year!!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have Grave's Disease and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, they took my thyroid in 2000 and there was cancer on it.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I am so sorry I haven't logged on in a while - sick kids! I am so thankful you guys are out there. I am having such thyroid issues right now. I was originally put on Methimazole (anti-thyroid) and left on it 6 months too long. Now my thyroid is so low I barely fall within normal range. But apparently that's enough for my "dr" (and yes, you can read that with as much sarcasm as possible), who doesn't believe I'm eating right or working out. Seriously; when I told her I was doing bootcamp 3 days a week, she said 5-6 would be better. And even though I'm averaging 1400 calories (which really is too low on workout days), she thinks I oughtta maybe cut down to 1200. No matter the work I put in, the fat won't come off. I am BEGGING for synthroid, but nope. I don't know what to do, and I am SO frustrated. I'm still symptomatic, but apparently not enough.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I am in remission from Graves and still suffer slight symptoms of Hashi's.... when I was pregnant with #4 I went into Thyroid storm... it was NOT pretty & I spent most of my pregnancy on strict bedrest in the hospital.... I refused to take the standard Thyroid med of the time ( PTU aka Propylthiouracil) and have been trying various herbal & natural treatments ever since. I believe my Graves is triggered by pregnancy and since that wont occur for me in this lifetime, I wont ever know if these herbal & natural treatments are helping with Graves and are also keeping Hashi's at bay....but I can say so far so good....
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Has anyone tried any of the over-the-counter thyroid stuff? Hot Rox? Semi-natural Thyroid boosters?
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have graves disease -- just diagnosed in November 2010. Started on methimizole in January. Gained 10 lbs. Giving myself several months to try to lose the weight has not worked, so I am back to calorie counting and just joined this site to do so. My MD recommended it actually. I do feel better on the medicine, and I sleep better. But would like my pants to fit once again! Its like my metabolism just slowed dramatically.