Choosing an Eating Style: Quantity vs. Quality

Options
There are many roads to take on this journey to a total lifestyle change, and what works for one, doesn't work for everyone else. I think it's interesting to take a look at your own eating style to determine how to take on healthy eating and weight loss.

So here's a question:

I have a one-pound Hershey's chocolate bar.
I also have four 1/2 oz. Lindt truffles of whatever chocolate you like the most.

Which do you want--the 1 lb. bar or the 2 oz. of chocolate?

If you said you want the pound of chocolate, chances are, you're a quantity person. You want to feel full after every meal. You may not mind eating a TON of chicken breast and brown rice and salad, because it's filling. That's not to say that you don't care at all what you eat, but you'll probably be satisfied with a higher quantity of less-rich foods so you don't feel deprived. That totally works! Getting into a groove of similar foods at similar portions can make this journey easier because you know exactly what to buy and what foods are beneficial.

If you said you want the 2 oz. of fine chocolates, you are most likely a quality person. You don't need to feel full, but you need tasty-delicious-yumminess! This means you need to practice portion control. You can still fit rich foods into the diet--cooking with real butter, eating real chocolate--as long as you practice portion control. That totally works too! Being able to eat foods you find exciting will help you stick with this in the long run.

This is something one of my profs brought up, and had the class vote. I am a 2 oz. person at heart, so I still make room for real peanut butter sandwiches and a gyro here and there, but I have also lived as a 1 lb. person at times.

(P.S. I loooooove white chocolate Lindt truffles hehehe....)

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There are many roads to take on this journey to a total lifestyle change, and what works for one, doesn't work for everyone else. I think it's interesting to take a look at your own eating style to determine how to take on healthy eating and weight loss.

So here's a question:

I also have four 1/2 oz. Lindt truffles of whatever chocolate you like the most.

If you said you want the pound of chocolate, chances are, you're a quantity person. You want to feel full after every meal. You may not mind eating a TON of chicken breast and brown rice and salad, because it's filling. That's not to say that you don't care at all what you eat, but you'll probably be satisfied with a higher quantity of less-rich foods so you don't feel deprived. That totally works! Getting into a groove of similar foods at similar portions can make this journey easier because you know exactly what to buy and what foods are beneficial.

If you said you want the 2 oz. of fine chocolates, you are most likely a quality person. You don't need to feel full, but you need tasty-delicious-yumminess! This means you need to practice portion control. You can still fit rich foods into the diet--cooking with real butter, eating real chocolate--as long as you practice portion control. That totally works too! Being able to eat foods you find exciting will help you stick with this in the long run.

This is something one of my profs brought up, and had the class vote. I am a 2 oz. person at heart, so I still make room for real peanut butter sandwiches and a gyro here and there, but I have also lived as a 1 lb. person at times.

• jnb0203
    jnb0203 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about that! it's so totally true! My cousin and I are dieting and when we go out to eat I order a large grilled chicken salad and she will eat like one cheeseburger that is probably about the same amount of calories. I'm sooo a quantity person, but thats mainly because I feel that if I feel full I won't try to snack on things I shouldn't or wonder back to the kitchen a short time later. Who knows, but thanks for sharing that now I get a better understanding!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yep....think I'm the truffle person. Even the thought of a whole 1lb bar turns me:sick: After hanging out here for awhile my stomach has shrunk so I just don't want big meals. But I DO :heart: my real butter, one pat at a time.....(giggle)

I think this is a really neat way to think of things!!!! Thanks for sharing the idea!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It honestly varies depending on the day. Some days I just need bulk and I don't care if it's 5 pounds of broccoli. I just need quantity. Other days I have an urge to eat something fattening and it doesn't matter if the quantity is small, I just need to eat that thing.
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Come chat online. Here is the website http://mfp-archive.harehome.org/chat/
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I also thought this was cool! This particular prof was a professional bodybuilder for 15 years. He is a 1 lb guy, and it's so funny when he talks about food. We do prescriptions on the class, basically writing exercise/nutrition programs for fake people. He is always like "Who can give up beer? Yep, me too. I'd rather have a Blizzard from Mickey D's than 6 beers!" LOL
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I also thought this was cool! This particular prof was a professional bodybuilder for 15 years. He is a 1 lb guy, and it's so funny when he talks about food. We do prescriptions on the class, basically writing exercise/nutrition programs for fake people. He is always like "Who can give up beer? Yep, me too. I'd rather have a Blizzard from Mickey D's than 6 beers!" LOL
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

So here's a question:

Glad you started this thread sbs :flowerforyou: I'm definitely a quality person so when you even mentioned the 1 lb. chocolate my head spun as I thought...oh she MUST have mistyped that one! :laugh: I'm sooooo with Ezzie on being turned off on that much chocolate now.:noway:

But back in the binge days...it was quantity!! To cover up the feelings, etc. that I ate on. Now I like to enoy the textures, colors, various flavors and such. When you pile on the food (talkin about binge type piling it up:laugh: ) I don't really taste any of it except that first bite... which actually brings me to what you mentioned on chocolate...I'd be plenty happy and satisfied with merely 1 smooth tasty Lindt (YUP white chocolate!:tongue:) truffle.

Different mind set now...if I chose it as a treat...I would have one and savor it... nice size treat...quality food, a quality treat won't make me feel like I then have to binge...of course this is merely my opinion and experience...since I'm a quality vs. quantity person. A quanity person will have a very different response.

Would love to hear from both sides...I find this topic most interesting :drinker:

Great thoughts your Professer left you with...glad you chose to share them with us here:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    OK so who am I if I eat both and then go to the gym to work it off!?:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    OK so who am I if I eat both and then go to the gym to work it off!?:laugh:

DETERMINED hahahahah :laugh: