Trying to start running

Options
I decided I wanted to start running. I wanna lose about 15 pounds before my wedding, but I also just wanna feel more healthy all around. My dad is a marathon runner so I figured running would come easy for me because of him. Boy was I wrong! I started out alternating running and walking every 2 minutes. Then slowly I started phasing out the walking and doing more running. I'm only doing a mile so far until I can run the entire time. Now I can make it to running for about 9 minutes before I have to walk a minute. I feel sort of like I'm stuck here. If I run more at a time I feel like I can barely breathe, but yet on the other hand I feel like this is doing nothing so I should push myself and just get past it and run more. Any suggestions from other runners out there?

Replies

• LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you tried slowing down your pace to get you through the 9 minute mark?
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is great - alternating running and walking - but if you feel like you can barely breathe if you run for longer periods of time - maybe you're just trying to run too fast. But most of all don't worry about it too much - the stamina will come. Just keep at it!
  • almorrow1s
    almorrow1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great start! What I did to build up my running was to start with half a mile, and run that three times a week. The next week I would add a quarter mile and run that three times, the next week add another quarter and so on until I was up to 13 miles and running a half marathon! Don't try to run too fast or too far, it's very easy to get discouraged quickly. Just build up slowly, make sure you're eating properly and not having anything too heavy before a run, and make sure you have properly fitting comfortable shoes. Also, it's okay to take a break from the running for a week or two so you don't get burned out. Enjoy and good luck
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yes, i agree w/the other chic... slow down. when i ran my 1st mile, i was on an incline of 2 (because it's easier on my body & causes less 'slamming' down when i walk) and ran at a 5.2. if you are going for endurance...slow down. i would suggest focusing on your breathing because it will take your mind away from mentally saying you're tired plus it will help you last longer
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    MAYBE RUNNING TO FAST. BUT WHEN I WAS A EMT WE JUDGED BREATHING BY TALKING IF YOU AND TALK CLEARLY 3 TO 4 WORDS WITHOUT GASPING FOR AIR YOU CAN BREATH AND PROBLY OKAY TO PUSH THRU IT. BUT YOU NEED TO DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It didn't feel like it was too fast for me, (for now I run on the treadmill in the basement til nice weather!) but I think tomorrow when I do it I'll turn down the speed a little bit and see if it feels better.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Research and start a C25K program. These are designed for a beginning runner. As with any other "new" activity in your life, you need to practice to get better. You can't just go from 0 to 100 on day one. Stick with it and you'll continue to improve your efficiency, distance and speed.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I started running this time by always walking 5 mins before then covering the timer with a towel and running till I can do anymore, if it's 7 mins then that's what Ill do till I get bored maybe a week maybe a month then you add more time like 3-4 mins

I stared up again 1-1-11 now I'm doing 5min walk, 10run, 5min walk , 15run and I think its about time to 30mins run altogether
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I found once I got past that 15-20 min mark it got WAY easier..... now I can add an extra 5 or 10 min without really feeling like it's hard. Just gotta find your pace. Watching TV (if on the treadmill of course) helps too cuz then you're only half paying attention to the clock..... it goes by faster!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    It sounds like you've got the right idea mixing it up with running and walking. Sometimes it's hard when you first start out or haven't run in a long time to find your stride. It's that comfortable pace where you feel like you can go for a while and you can zone out with music or the tv, it's a pretty soothing state of mind actually. Trying a slower pace might be a good idea if you plan on being on the treadmill for a while, like at 4.5-5 mph. Nothing wrong with ratcheting back the speed, slow and steady wins the race (my current mantra). I usually feel like the first 5-7 minutes of running kinda suck, and then it gets easier after that. It takes your body a little time to adjust and get things moving to keep you running. It's going to feel a little different when you switch from the treadmill to running outside, but you'll adjust. In my opinion, the treadmill has nothing on running outside, especially when the weather is nice. Running in 70 degree sunshine is like heaven.
  • Kimber2336
    Kimber2336 Posts: 131
    Options
    Research and start a C25K program. These are designed for a beginning runner. As with any other "new" activity in your life, you need to practice to get better. You can't just go from 0 to 100 on day one. Stick with it and you'll continue to improve your efficiency, distance and speed.

I 100% agree with this post.... I do the c25k.... there are also apps for your phone that will "ring/ding" at you when it's time to start jogging, then ding when it's time to walk... interval walk/run to build you up to a 5K
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started running today with the beginner run/walk plan I found at Runnersworld.com No problems at all today, but maybe I'll look into the c25k stuff, too. Once I get acclimated enough, and have worked up to it, I'd love to do a 5k sometime. I feel good that I'm jumping into it having exercised for the last couple of months, so it doesn't seem like I'll struggle with it as much as I might have before all of this.

I used the RunKeeper app today, and that worked phenomenally - I couldn't be happier with that app.