Ricks TOP 5 BASICS for losing fat and getting fit:

Options
1. First you must determine and define the "Why" that is motivating your desire to change body shape. This is actually the most important factor. Your "Why" can be anything from wanting to play with the kids, be sexy for your (partner), want to be healthy, have a reunion/marriage/etc. coming up. Whatever your "Why", write it down and keep it handy so you can look at it during a moment of weakness when you want to gorge on food or blow off your exercise.
2. Lift some weights. Sure, cardio helps burn calories at the time and for a while afterwards but it's a fact that muscle burns calories all day long and even when sleeping. So, put a little muscle on and watch the fat melt away. Note: for women who don't want to "Bulk Up" you don't have to worry about that as long as you use light weights. Follow a program like Chalean Extreme or Kathy Smith.
3. Eat! Yes that's right, Coach Rick said..."Eat". Your body is an interesting machine that doesn't really care how your jeans fit. It just wants to stay alive. So, when you restrict your calories too much the body slows metabolism rather than burn fat in anticipation of needed calories from those fat stores later. So, sure you need to reduce your calories and or change the type of calories you eat. Cut back on simple carbs, increase your protein and make sure you eat enough fat to keep your body functioning correctly. Your body needs fat, so consume healthy fats from fish and egg yolks and cut out the processed oils.
4. Now it's time to burn those pesky calories with some good old fashioned Cardio Exercise. Pick your poison here, though I encourage low impact like P90X, Chalean Extreme, elliptical, Walking UPHILL vs. running. Running is hard on the knee and hip joints, and for women, it pulls at the connective tissue holding the breasts up.
5. Drink plenty of water. Just imagine how far the engine in your car would go without water in the radiator? Well, the body NEEDS water too. For many reasons, cooling of course, lubrication, chemical reactions (like converting fat to energy), flushing impurities. The list is long and important so drink as much water as you can. 32-64oz or more if you're very active.
Well, I hope this helps. If you have any questions or comments send me a message.
In Health and Wealth,
Rick

Replies

• MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great reminders, Rick - thanks!! :smile:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    From what I understand women can even use heavy weights and not bulk up. Our bodies weren't designed to do that. We don't have enough testosterone. Heck it's hard enough for men to bulk up.

EAT!!! Very, very important especially if you are going to exercise! Too many people on this site think restricting as many calories as you can is the way to lose weight. Sure you will lose some weight but most likely it won't be all fat. There will be some lean muscle mass with it. I was the same way before joining. I have learned so much since then.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    From what I understand women can even use heavy weights and not bulk up. Our bodies weren't designed to do that. We don't have enough testosterone. Heck it's hard enough for men to bulk up.

I've heard that too...don't remember where, but I have heard it.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that information. Any knowledge is helpful and appreciated...
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thank you for the reminders, I tend to lose sight of the big picture
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips! Thank you!
  • Starburst13
    Options
    I am learning a lot:flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the terrific pointers Rick!!! I am happy to say I am doing the majority of them. I need to get going with teh weight training more. I've beent rying to burn off some of the fat to find those muscles again! LOL Especially in the tummy area! I am proud to report the tummy is shrinking!!!!! Now time to make them a 6 pack or at least a 4pack!! Thanks for the great tips! I look forward to reading some more!! :flowerforyou:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    1. First you must determine and define the "Why" that is motivating your desire to change body shape. This is actually the most important factor. Your "Why" can be anything from wanting to play with the kids, be sexy for your (partner), want to be healthy, have a reunion/marriage/etc. coming up. Whatever your "Why", write it down and keep it handy so you can look at it during a moment of weakness when you want to gorge on food or blow off your exercise.
    2. Lift some weights. Sure, cardio helps burn calories at the time and for a while afterwards but it's a fact that muscle burns calories all day long and even when sleeping. So, put a little muscle on and watch the fat melt away. Note: for women who don't want to "Bulk Up" you don't have to worry about that as long as you use light weights. Follow a program like Chalean Extreme or Kathy Smith.
    3. Eat! Yes that's right, Coach Rick said..."Eat". Your body is an interesting machine that doesn't really care how your jeans fit. It just wants to stay alive. So, when you restrict your calories too much the body slows metabolism rather than burn fat in anticipation of needed calories from those fat stores later. So, sure you need to reduce your calories and or change the type of calories you eat. Cut back on simple carbs, increase your protein and make sure you eat enough fat to keep your body functioning correctly. Your body needs fat, so consume healthy fats from fish and egg yolks and cut out the processed oils.
    4. Now it's time to burn those pesky calories with some good old fashioned Cardio Exercise. Pick your poison here, though I encourage low impact like P90X, Chalean Extreme, elliptical, Walking UPHILL vs. running. Running is hard on the knee and hip joints, and for women, it pulls at the connective tissue holding the breasts up.
    5. Drink plenty of water. Just imagine how far the engine in your car would go without water in the radiator? Well, the body NEEDS water too. For many reasons, cooling of course, lubrication, chemical reactions (like converting fat to energy), flushing impurities. The list is long and important so drink as much water as you can. 32-64oz or more if you're very active.
    Well, I hope this helps. If you have any questions or comments send me a message.
    In Health and Wealth,
    Rick

I like that you recommend walking uphill as opposed to running. I have never liked. I honestly don't like the hard impact on my joints. Sure I do it occasionally during HIITs but usually only a couple minutes at a time. I would rather walk really fast.