How do I meet my calorie goals????

Options
OK, I've been on this site for a few weeks now, and I find that I am ALWAYS under my calorie goals. Every time I post to ask for advice, I am told I need to try to meet my calorie goals. I love the advice that I get, but I am always under the calorie goals. How do I meet my goal when I am not hungry?? Plus, even when I do come somewhat close to my goal of 1300, when I exercise my net calories goes down again. I don't want to sit around eating empty calories when I know I'm not hungry. I know that eating under can make my body go into starvation mode, but I just can't seem to reach that goal. I also know that there are many times I do not eat breakfast. I try to at least get a small snack before lunch, but on days that I sleep in, I know if I eat breakfast I either won't be hungry for lunch or I'll eat a late lunch, causing my dinner to be later, and I hate to eat after 7:00 p.m. Anywho, this has turned into a longer post than I thought it was going to be! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to meet my calorie goals without munching on empty calories and without having to eat when I'm not hungry?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The thing about not eating after 8 or so is a myth. Your body burns calories 24/7 and doesnt stop while you are sleeping. cottage cheese is amazing to eat before bed! I do it every night. Has casien protein that is slower absorbed and helps prevent catabolism (break down of muscles)

Try planning out your meals more, or eat a bigger breakfast. Find higher calorie healthy foods. Almonds, walnuts, avacados are great sources!
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Drink your calories. Juice, milk etc all have calories and can be good for you! Or choose healthy high calorie snacks like nuts. Good luck!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and it looks as if you dont eat breakfast every day...not good. Eating breakfast kick starts your metabolism. I never used to eat breakfast either. If you keep breakfast, lunch and dinner around 300-400 calories each and a couple of snacks/day you should not have a problem eating them. There are times that I feel like I am shoving my face with food when I am not hungry and there is nothing wrong with that. You just have to do it. Nuts are great.
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Try to eat breakfast everyday. Maybe a yogurt and a piece of fruit. Make a fruit smoothie if you have time, but get in the habit of starting your day right!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not having that problem this time around, but I did a few years ago.

My usual method for adding calories was to have a fruit smoothie for dessert and add protein powder if I needed even more extra calories.

This also works for fitting breakfast in.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    So you need to train your body to be open to eating a healthy amount of calories spread throughout the day. For whatever reason, (presumably due to prior eating habits), your body has decided it's just not that hungry. That doesn't mean it's right and that you shouldn't be eating more.

You say you want to do this without having to eat when you're not hungry, but that's not necessarily realistic. You just need to ease yourself into it.

EAT BREAKFAST. Start out small. One egg, a banana with peanut butter, etc. Aim for 100-150 calories at first, then up it to 200, then to 250, then 300... etc. Of course your body will rebel if you eat 500 calories in the morning all of a sudden, but if you slowly introduce the concept of eating a regular breakfast, your body will adjust. I've been there, done that, and now I regularly eat 300-500 calories every morning and am hungry again by lunch time.

Add "easy" calories to meals - it just requires some creativity. Ex - i spruce salads up with beans, meat/protein, seeds, nuts, avocados, dried fruit, etc. All healthy, but all fairly calorie-dense. A salad can easily be 300-500 healthy calories.

Don't be afraid to eat late-night snacks. As long as you're not eating anything that will cause indigestion, and you're not eating a feast right before bed (which may sit in your stomach a bit uncomfortably) you'll be fine. MANY people regularly eat late and it does not impact our weight loss. It's more or less a myth. I work out late, and often have post-workout snacks at 9, 10 pm.
  • sacchariine
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat if you're not hungry. I stongly recommend eating breakfast though! I wake up late because my day starts late, but I also go to sleep very late. I eat "breakfast" around 12, and my "dinner" is sometimes around 9/10 pm. However, I go to sleep around 2 in the morning. Personally it's kinda hard for me to eat breakfast, so I at least have a protein shake with fruits. It's filling and healthy! As for increasing your calories, maybe eat foods that are a little fatty, but in a good way. For example, have whole grain pasta for dinner with a homemade cheese sauce. Or for lunch maybe have a whole grain/12 grain bagel topped with peanut butter. Carbs normally have more cals in them, and lucky for you you get to eat them all up!
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    Something that may help is to post a sample menu from a typical day. That way other members can give you advice on what you are choosing to eat. Sometimes I have a hard time getting in my calories on days I run because I burn a lot of calories. On those days, I'll eat a banana with peanut butter, higher in calories but still good for me, in addition to the rest of the foods I eat.

Also, I would recommend eating something small for breakfast instead of skipping it. You should be eating every 2-4 hours. Maybe have a bagel with lite cream cheese or an apple when you get up. That will also give you a metabolism boost for the day.

I am constantly eating throughout the day and I also eat after 7 because I exercise in the evening so sometimes I can't eat dinner until 7 or so.

Play around with it, it takes awhile to get that balance of eating healthy but getting enough calories in as well.

Good luck!
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    OK, I've been on this site for a few weeks now, and I find that I am ALWAYS under my calorie goals. Every time I post to ask for advice, I am told I need to try to meet my calorie goals. I love the advice that I get, but I am always under the calorie goals. How do I meet my goal when I am not hungry?? Plus, even when I do come somewhat close to my goal of 1300, when I exercise my net calories goes down again. I don't want to sit around eating empty calories when I know I'm not hungry. I know that eating under can make my body go into starvation mode, but I just can't seem to reach that goal. I also know that there are many times I do not eat breakfast. I try to at least get a small snack before lunch, but on days that I sleep in, I know if I eat breakfast I either won't be hungry for lunch or I'll eat a late lunch, causing my dinner to be later, and I hate to eat after 7:00 p.m. Anywho, this has turned into a longer post than I thought it was going to be! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to meet my calorie goals without munching on empty calories and without having to eat when I'm not hungry?

Please always eat breakfast!!!!! You can also snack during the day! Try things like celery with peanut butter or soft cheese, nuts, dried fruit, hot chocolate. I don't eat much wheat so I have rice cakes with jam+ peanut butter or soft cheese.

I found it hard to eat all my calories but I've now decided to increase my calories from 1200 to 1500 (which is my BMR, you can find out your BMR on this site). I've curbed my exercise and I'm finding that I'm managing to reach my calorie goal. I'm definitely sticking to being as close to my net goal as poss, even if I go over slightly.

LouiseXXX
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    This is one of the issues I am facing too. Thanks for all of the good advice. I have been eating breakfast, but I am going to start adding a piece of fruit to go along with it. I don't usually snack a lot, but I'll give that a try too. I am finding that I exercise at night and my net calories go way down & I don't want to eat 200, 300 or even 400 calories before going to bed. I end up eating in the range of 1200-1400 calories, but with the exercise my net calories drop.