Help! Foot injury, and don't want to stop exercising!

Options
Vmcd
Vmcd Posts: 33 Member
For the past year, I have consistantly been speed walking anywhere from 4-7 miles at least 4 days a week. I've slowly been adding a little bit of jogging, but still very slow at it. My problem is that over the weekend, I think I pulled a muscle (at least that's what it feels like) on the outside part of my foot, below my ankle. It was sore Sunday night, so I iced it after my 5 miles. I walked 5 miles last night, and it was stiff when I got home. It didn't really bother me during my walk, but really hurt after. I iced it again, but definitely hurt more last night than the night before. Today I can't walk without limping. Any suggestions? Obviously I need to give it a rest and not walk for a few days. My other "go to" exercise is Jillian's 30 Day Shred, which I can't do either. Lots of jumping jacks, lunges, etc. I don't want to lose my momentum in exercising! I'm finally in a routine of working out, eating right, and losing weight. What can I do until my foot feels better? My husband has a weight bench. I thought about just lifting and doing sit ups for a few days. I need some ideas . . . help me out, MFP friends!!

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Jillian's Shred w/Weights. It's a kettlebell workout - no jumping - and still a great cardio workout!
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Try some upper body workouts! I do the Shred as well, and she does punches and says it's a great way to get your heartrate up if you have a lower body injury. I also tend to do a lot of floor exercises when I am especially sore or when my knees are bothering me. Just grab some weghts and do some chest flies and presses, and if your husband has a machine even better!! Just find ways to do upper body exercises and try to find some that will get your heart rate up. Also, make sure you still try to stretch out that foot!! If it's a muscle, stretching will help.
  • unckat09
    unckat09 Posts: 97
    Options
    Maybe you could try pilates or cardio pilates.
  • huckleberrykate
    Options
    Try the rowing machines (Ergs) - a great cardio workout, but all upper body
    Also try swimming as a cardio option that won't injure your foot

Good luck, feel better!!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had an injury last year when training for a marathon. I felt the pressure of 26.2 miles approaching and here I am hurt! The largest tendon in my foot was inflammed. I didn't say much until too late and guess what? I ended up screwing myself because I also didn't and couldnt loose momentum. My advice would be to ice and chill out. I would rest it until it gets better or you're going to end up being out for longer.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    weights are great. You might also try some yoga if it does not hurt to stand. Yoga is great for buildign lean muscle. If you have a gym membership with a pool do a deep water aqua class. No impact on your feet/joints at all. You wear a flotation belt. it's one of may favorite work outs reguardless. Good Luck and feel better.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Definitely allow your foot to heal, otherwise, you risk further injury which = less time away from walking/jogging.

In the meantime do a little research on Youtube for plyometric workouts. Consider it an opportunity to cross-train a bit. Another idea is to work on your flexibility.
  • nlucero
    nlucero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your foot! When I hurt my ankle...and knee for during another incident, I went swimming. If you have access to a pool, swimming is great exercise.