detox?

SarahR1984
SarahR1984 Posts: 212
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
What are your thoughts on a juice detox for 3 days? Good idea or bad? Thanks :)

Replies

• Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Bump
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I really like Ann Louse Gittleman's Fast Track Detox plan. You do a "prep" then the juice detox then a follow up plan.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    I am new and I see BUMP alot...what is it?
  • I think it is beneficial. You should read 'Fasting and Eating for Health' by Joel Fuhrman. He says that fasting from everything but water for 3 days is better than a juice fast.
  • A bump means you are bumping your post up to the top to get more/added replies. :-)
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    I am new and I see BUMP alot...what is it?

Someone will post a reply that says bump because a new reply to a post will shift that topic back up on the top of the list, instead of moving down the list of recent topics. More people will have a chance to see it and comment.
  • 3 days really isn't enough time to detox. You can certainly do a juice fast for a few days but you won't really detox your body. I am just starting my detox. i am using triphala. I have done a lot of research and this seems to be the best and healthies way to go. you take this triphala while eating clean food. very close to a vegan diet. I am stareting tomorrow.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    I like the idea of a cleanse and detox that allows you to continue eating. Herbalife makes one that is a 21 day detox... I have heard personal "testimony" of how good it is... I am going to try it
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I hate to be the naysayer, but what "toxins" do you think you are eliminating by only drinking liquids for X amount of time?

From the Mayo Clinic:

"Some people report feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, this may be due to a belief that they're doing something good for their bodies. There's little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Most ingested toxins are efficiently and effectively removed by the kidneys and liver and excreted in urine and stool."
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    I did one, and surprisingly wasn't hungry at all for the 3 days. But, 2 days after I went off, I got really really sick from eating food again, so just be careful!
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    there are a ton of different detox diets- juicing can be healthy for an extended amount of time (up to like 3 months i think) and as long as you keep your juices varied with different fruits and vegetables and possibly accompany it with a vitamin you should remain fairly healthy. It is a good way to get your fruits and veggies in for sure

on a slightly different note- we detox our bodies because the foods we are eating are not healthy for us for the most part. Instead of doing a short term detox that will have short term effects, try giving yourself a diet challenge where each week you make a small change to your diet (like cutting out sugars, processed foods, adding in various fruits/veggies, etc). By doing that you make long term changes that will in itself remove the toxins from the body and keep them away. :)
  • also most of us are overweight because we ate lots of junk food. Toxins from these kinds of foods are stored in fat cells. So as you lose weight these toxins are released into your blood stream. So if you have trouble with contsipation, or you don't sweat, both of which are true for me, then these toxins are just running around in your system. That is why I am doing this triphala while eating vegan foods only. No animal products at all , no dairy,eggs etc.... i'll let you know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.