Lent.....

Options
I hadn't participated in Lent before last year, and it wasn't all that fun, but Jeusus would probably say the same about the cross. So I find myself wanting to give up my favorite thing for lent.... sweets.... If you look through my food diary you will notice I eat some sort of dessert 6 out of 7 nights a week... Either M & M's, Conversation Hearts, Ice Cream..... I do save calories for these sweet treats, and I have been very successful from hard work at losing weight, however, I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.

I'm thinking about not giving up sweets entirely, but maybe during the week days.... It's always when i'm sitting on the couch, between 8-10 or 10:30 PM that I like to munch on something sweet. Maybe if I only do sweet for special occasions? Or Friday-Saturdays? Maybe?

Anyways, Ash Wednesday is tomorrow, anybody else giving up anything for lent?

Replies

• Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think I might have to join you. I love chocolate and usually eat some form of it everyday (a hershey's kiss or a mini peanut butter cup...). Good luck to you and giving up your sweets.
  • Sreith
    Sreith Posts: 3
    Options
    I haven't decided what I am going to do about Lent, but a suggestion for you is to give up a certain type of sweet. If chocolate is your favorite, give that up. Or candy, or cookies, etc., just not ALL sweets. Jesus didn't have an "out", but we are only human, so it's a way to give something up without setting yourself up for failure. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This topic has been weighing heavily on my mind. I will give up chocolate for Lent. I too, will indulge (just a little) so I don't feel deprived. Thanks for inspiring me. We can all do it together!
  • jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i personally have no idea what to give up, but following on from what someone earlier said - most Christian families i know have sunday's off lent. good luck!!
  • melodramababs
    Options
    I haven't yet decided what I'm sacrificing for lent and I don't always give up food for lent - as a kid, it was always candy/sweets/chips - these past few years, I've been giving up buying items at the store in our building at work - this worked well for many reasons:
    1) saved money.
    2) I ate fewer chocolate bars (and various other impulse craving purchases)

I'm also a fan of not sacrifying "things" - but "time" - and volunteering for an organization that you've considered helping out in the past. I am already a volunteer at the library, but I'm sure I could increase my hours a little bit. Or even find a different organization to help out.
  • snadams55
    snadams55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My manager at work tried something last year and I think I may try it this year for lent. She gave up all types of drinks and drank only water for lent. I love sweet tea, and I love it with lots and lots of sugar so this will really help. This will also help me stay away from my lovely friend Starbucks. Hopefully I can stick to this. It will be tough.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolate last year for Lent. I don't think I can completely give up sweets and I'm still toying with giving up something else....I guess I need to decide very quickly what I'm going to do.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up overindulging for Lent. Lately I've been bad at excusing eating stuff I know I shouldn't be--or going overboard and having 10 starbursts instead of 3--things like that. Good for my body, my weight loss, and for Lent :)