Measuring out spaghetti noodles...

Options
2»

Replies

• countrymom75
    countrymom75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    IN REFERENCE TO WOLFCHILD59 :THE BOX SAYS 56g/ 5/8" circle IN DIAMETER DRY OR 2 OZ. COOKED AS A SERVING.
    IT IS A GENERIC THIN SPAGETTI.
  • kvns83
    kvns83 Posts: 29
    Options
    A serving of pasta is 2 oz dry which usually equals 1 cup of cooked pasta by VOLUME and 4 oz by weight. Approximately.

Yes it does and that's what it use to measure also...Simple to remember, Universal for all pasta!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have a flat digital scale and you just put your food on it and measure!

I do the same thing. Much more accurate IMHO :smile:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    While the measuring "gadget" makes it easy when it's dry, you should weigh when it's cooked. Pasta expands.

This is incorrect. The nurtitional information given on the side of the spaghetti box is for dry weight. So, if it says 2 oz. is 210 calories, you want 2 oz. *dry* to get that many calories. To verify this, notice that the box will say it has 8 servings in it, and the box is 16 ounces/1 pound.

If you want to measure it out after cooking it, use a measuring cup -- 2 oz. dry usually comes out to about 2/3 to 1 cup cooked, depending on the shape of the noodles (spaghetti versus rigatoni versus shells etc).

As for me, I weigh mine using a kitchen scale. But after a while you will just be able to eye it.