Jean buying tips or help, please

Options
HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
Anyone have any good tips about buying jeans?

I always have the same problems with jeans. For example, the jeans I bought last week. In the fitting room they looked great, except they were too tight in the waist (muffin top!), but I got them anyways. Got home, wore them for a few hours and they stretched (no muffin top). However, they didn’t just stretch a little, they stretched a lot. (99% cotton, 1% spandex) Now, I have to wear a belt with them or they fall down. I can even take them off without unbuttoning them. I seem to have had this problem at every weight I've been at. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know any jean buying tips to avoid this? Or any good brands of jeans that keep their shape?

Thanks!

Replies

• AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem! I find that the pull on jeans from Torrid resolve this problem. Also Old Navy's sweetheart jeans fit very nicely in all areas. I'm apple shaped and jean shopping is hard! I think jean designers thing every women is pear shaped!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I 2nd the Old Navy Sweetheart Jeans..LOVE THEM
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem! I find that the pull on jeans from Torrid resolve this problem. Also Old Navy's sweetheart jeans fit very nicely in all areas. I'm apple shaped and jean shopping is hard! I think jean designers thing every women is pear shaped!
    I'm pear shape, but my problem is lack of thigh room. I have to go up a size, then they're gaping at the back. I usually have to take then in.
  • Itmomma
    Itmomma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the slender secret jeans by Lee?
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I too am apple-shaped and have the same problem. I have yet to find something that works.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    Levi's...my favorite and they hold their shape!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I love Old Navy's sweet heart jean. Though i do have to wash them every wear to get them to shrink back to normal. My jean shorts for lane bryant hold their shape really well. I also have jeans from Macy's that have a bit more spandex and they hold their shapre great. They are a bit more expensive though. I am hourglass shaped with a tummy in front. My butt is getting smaller by they day so we'll see what happens next tiem i have to buy jeans. Good Luck!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and they end up sagging in the tush which is just about the last thing in the world I want from a pair of jeans. It's hard because they all seems to have spandex in them. Currently I'm wearing Gap Sexy Boot Cut Jeans because the waist sort of hooks over my hips and they don't fall down or stretch out. (They DO NOT show any undies when I bend over, thank goodness) Also, it seems, (to me anyway) like the denim is a sturdier quality. My Old Navy ones stretched out so fast they were impossible to wear. What you could also do is have your current jeans taken in at the waist so you don't have to stop wearing them. I've done that too.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am larger in the hips and thighs as well...recently purchased some Apple Bottom and Rockawear jeans and they fit really well...snug all over and they do not stretch out! Love them! I also found the sizing chart online to be very accurate...I measured and purchased the size that matched my measurement...and when they arrived, the fit!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to sew very well to take anything so most of my jeans have a gap in the back and it is really annoying!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant Jeans are amazing. They're created for all different body types. My issue was the if they jeans fit my big belly, they'd be too loose in the thighs. If they fit my thighs, I couldn't get them over my belly. Lane Bryant's Right Fit jeans address these issues. And, they don't stretch after an hour of wearing them. And they best part is they're sized by #'s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. So you love buying jeans that are a size 4! :laugh:

They have jeans for my body type, of for those who are bigger on the bottom so therefore jeans gape in the waistband. Go try some on, you'll love them. :flowerforyou:
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue. My jeans streachand fall. But jam apple shaped and I had a c section so I
    Have a flap too.
  • Candiceg13
    Candiceg13 Posts: 218
    Options
    I am an apple with virtually NO hips/booty, so pants are super hard for me.... I actually really like Old Navy's Diva style, they are really the only ones that fit wit well....
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do when buying jeans is to buy something that fits the biggest part of you (i.e. tummy, thighs, or butt) and tailor down the pants to fit YOUR body. The same pair of jeans will not fit the same on two different people's bodies.

If you buy pants that fit you everywhere but say, your waist, you can have a tailor alter them so that the waist doesn't have that huge gap. The place I go to only costs about $10 to alter, depending on what you need altered.

Hope this helps!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

i LOVE old navy jeans!! but i have to order different sizes depending on the rise because i am also apple shaped. if my jeans stretch out crazy alot before i wash them the first time, i usually try to shrink them in the dryer to compensate.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I like Levi 529 (curvy fit). They are designed for women with hips, thighs and butt. The Levi 512s are nice if you want jeans that go all the way up to your real waist. I like them for gardening (less plumbers crack and dirt down my pants:ohwell: )

Cj
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I too am apple-shaped and have the same problem. I have yet to find something that works.

As a fellow apple myself, the only ones i have found that fit me the best are the "right fit". they sell them at Fashion bug and Lane Bryant. Only problem i have with them is that I also have a VERY short torso, so they ride kinda high (at least this way i don't have the dreaded muffin top!) :smile:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Old Navy and Torrid I swear by. They usually last forever. Quick cheap jeans I buy from wal-mart, while I'm working on my goal weight. They have lasted really well and are cheap enough that I can buy another pair when I need them. I have.. 3 pair from there. 16, 14 and 12 and the 14 are big and the 12 fit nicely.