New member needs inspiration!

Options
Hello All,

I'm Sarah. I only joined the site around 20 minutes ago and I'm finding it really interesting already.

I am posting this to see if I can hear first hand success stories? I need as much inspiration and motivation as possible.

I've always been a big girl, and I have lost a lot of weight before, but recently I have started a new job and had to move cities which has contributed to my weight gain of 6kgs in 4 months!!!! Thats almost a stone.

Can anyone provide any hints/tips/share their success stories with me please?

Thank you!!

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i joined in JAN , its a great place to learn about how to change, reading everyones experiences and advice, some good , some not so good.

Good luck and wish you all the best with your journey
  • bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah, i think you'll enjoy it on here and everyone is friendly. Good luck.
  • chrismisterx
    Options
    I joined this site a few days ago, but just started keeping a record from today.

I decided to try and lose weight last week, everything I thought I knew was pretty much wrong lol!

Anyway after checking a few sites, reading peoples tips and ideas I decided the first week would be about using all the wrong foods up that was in my fridge but at the same time cuting down on what I was eating before I kept a record.

I had my first wiegh in this morning and I was expecting a small gain and at the very best staying the same.

I was shocked to find I had lost 7lbs in my first week!!!

Anyway what I did:-

No Beer or wine on a weekday and only 1-2 drinks on a weekend.
    Used smaller plates so I had smaller amounts of food
    had 4-5 glasses of water a day
    20 mins of very light exercise

I hope that with keeping a record of what I eat and watching the calories I willbe able to lose 1-2lbs a week from now on and until I reach my target.

So many great tools on this site to help and such a great forum to read through!
  • bmj1985
    bmj1985 Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Sarah! For me I just have to think about one day at a time and make the best decisions for that one day. I get easily distracted if I think about where I might be weeks or months ahead. I just started again last week but had lost 20 pounds using this site last summer. I've begun to seriously realize that this needs to be a lifestyle and isn't something that I can start and stop every few months. Good luck! Add me as a friend if you like!
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm 7 days in and its working! I log EVERYTHING. Its a great tool!
    Good Luck!!:wink:
  • Hopekarategirl
    Options
    I just joined too. You can do it! Don't be discouraged. I have a lot of weight to lose myself. Changing jobs is stressful. Just take it one day at a time. Hang in there!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! This is a great site- welcome!!

My "success" so far- 45 days in, and 18 lbs. lost! I'm lovin it!!!
  • sarahelle2
    sarahelle2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you al for your welcoming words and advice! I am optimistic to what myfitnesspal.com can bring to my life! :)

Any tips about how to get exercise incorporated in to your day when you work crazy hours at an office would be much appreciated!!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to improve your health, and welcome! You will find a lot of advice and inspiration on this site. My best advice/ Find out what works for you and do it until it doesn't work for you anymore, then change it up. What works in the beginning isn't always what works in the end and what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander :wink:

I do not diet. I follow a program called "Am I Hungry?" and it works well for me. It helps me change my thoughts which in turn helps me change my actions, which leads to healthier habits.

I joined here in January of this year. I've lost 67 pounds since 2010, 17 this year so far. I've met many wonderful people along the way.

Good luck!
  • sarahelle2
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! Good luck to you too!
  • sarahelle2
    Options
    WOW Lexie! That is highly inspirational! :) I hope I can loose half the weight you have. It would make me a VERY happy person.

I suppose my main issue is ignoring others judgmental eyes. I work in a corporate environment where the size of your waist is more important than your brains or at least counts just as much as the size of your brain. Today I got a first helping of the 'disgust' look as I am not a skinny minnie unlie 90% of the other girls in my industry!
  • rwash0904
    Options
    Hi Sara, I joined 2 weeks ago and has already lost 5 lbs. Over the years, I have tried every diet you can name. I have been one of those yo-yo dieters. When I joined My Fitness Pal, I knew I had finally found a diet on which I truly believe I can be successful. The extensive data base of foods with their calorie, fat, sugar and fiber content provides instant feedback. It motivates me to not exceed my calorie goal each day. The ability to do it with friends and to get instant feedback from them is motivational. I am getting most of my calories for the day from healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables and has reduced my portions of meat and starch. However, I eat it when I want to and just count the calories for the day. I love how adding your exercise for the day automatically give you added calories to your goal for the day. Go for it!! and much success!!!!