Adding Strength Training to MFP Diary?

Options
Does anyone know why when you add strength training to your exercise diary, it doesn't calculate calories? i found that in the cardiovascular section you can add minutes of generic "lifting weights" to get a calorie burn estimate, but what's the point of the strength training section, including reps & minutes if it doesn't indicate calorie burn?

Replies

• capricorn1977
    Options
    I wish someone knew the answer to this question as I would also like an answer.
    Also, do you have to add each exercise or is there a place you can just add strength training time, like 30 minutes as it's a big pain to add each exercise you perform individually!
  • nantzh
    nantzh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Its there so you can keep track of your lifting. So you know how much you lifted the last time you worked out and how many reps. Sometimes when on different workout programs its important to remember how many reps of what weight you were able to lift. It is a nice feature.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    From the My Fitness Pal FAQ page http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    I just joined and I also was wondering how to get credit for the weight training I do. Since this system doesn't really utilize the information other than just record keeping I will keep using JEFIT (best android app I've found to date) for more beneficial tracking for those of us who love our iron. It tracks and helps set goals. I apologize if I have broken any forum rules, just trying to be helpful with what I have found useful.