weighing in

Options
Hello friends, I am just curious to know how often you all weigh in? I was planning to do only once a week but now I am thinking I should do twice a week just to make sure I am staying on track and can make adjustments if/when needed. Feedback?

Replies

• adamthaler
    Options
    That really is up to you. My only advice is to make sure that you are weighing in at the same time very day. Water weight can come in to play quite a bit, so I would suggest that you do it first thing in the morning.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on MFP once a week and don't count my weight as "official" until then but I check the scales every morning.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I weigh in only once a week. Personally, for me, If i am staying within calories and exercising, I know I will stay on track. Welcome and best of luck to you on your journey =)
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i do it once a week...same time...early morning
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    :embarassed: I do it once a week. The scale can fluctuate during the week. I like to give myself a full week of being on program. The fluctuations mess with my head and it can get me down if I don't see a loss. :frown:
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I switch back and forth between weighing in once a week and weighing in twice a week. For a little while I weighed myself every day, but that started to make me obsessive. While I like knowing I'm on track with the two weigh-ins, the bigger number once a week helps keep me motivated.

For example, last week I weighed in twice. On Tuesday, I had lost 1.2 pounds. By Saturday, I'd lost another .8 pounds. I was kind of bummed with the .8 loss, even though it meant a 2 pound loss for the week. If I hadn't weighed myself Tuesday, I would have just seen myself as two pounds down on Saturday and been psyched. I know it's the same amount of weight, but psychologically it's nice to see a bigger number once a week. (at least for me!)

Definitely to each his/her own! As was said, though, be sure to weigh yourself at the same time each time you weigh-in. Ideally in the morning after you've used the bathroom and before you eat/drink.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I need a new scale though pretty sure mines off lol. Best of luck!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I refuse to look at the scale more than once a week, it will drive me nuts if I do.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Once a week officially in MFP but weigh everyday
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning after Ive been to the toilet lol in my underwear :)
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    :embarassed: I do it once a week. The scale can fluctuate during the week. I like to give myself a full week of being on program. The fluctuations mess with my head and it can get me down if I don't see a loss. :frown:

That is exactly how I am. I will get mad if I dont see a loss or see a slight gain from weighing myself every day. I have heard it both way, to do it once a day and to do itonce a week. I will stick with once a week. Even though it is sometimes hard. I have to learn more self control and patience anyway, so this is a good start ;)
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    every Saturday morning, scale in the same spot on the floor, with the same PJ's on and I weigh myself 3 times :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself the same time every day (Morning, post-pee, pre-coffee) - But I only check in once a week.

The nice thing about this is that you get some idea about how much your body fluctuates every day - even at the same time - expect 2-3 lb variance - I mean, a glass of water weighs 1lb!) and so you also know if your check in weight is high or low for the week. You can only really see trends over an extended period of time.
  • nnailah
    nnailah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I read few articles about this and most of them encourage you to weigh in every 10 to 15 days which is more likely to see the changes and weight loss.
    But all of the articles have mentioned that if you can't wait that long so once a week is the advisable and least stressful. I understand that it would be rather annoying watching the variations every single day and that might drive you to extrem measures.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. And even at that, I have to remind myself how easy it would be for the pound or so I hope to lose in a week's time to get lost in the noise in the data.