Body calipers

Options
Is it worth it to buy some or do you really need someone who know how to use them to do it? I'm building muscle and my shape has really change I still need to loss weight 15 or so but I just bought size 6 pants so I know I'm smaller. anyway I just kind of thought if I had a better idea what my BF% was beening overweight with my BMI would not feel so sad. So what do you think buy or not.

Replies

• Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    To be accurate it, you need to have it done by someone that knows how to do it. that being said, i do it myself and just use it as a way to measure change. The % i get is awfully low, so I just look at the difference to see if I'm going the right direction.

You can find a number of sites that will do the calculation for you, based on 3-7 different body parts that are measured.

the one below is for women:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html#women
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it would be best to have someone who kows what they are doing, most larger fitness centers can do this, they may charge you but the satisfaction of knowing it is done correctly is worth it ot me. I had mine done yesterday at Life Time Fitness, thinking I still had saome weight to lose but my body fat is at 14.5%, which really surprised me and gave me a bunch of satisfaction in now knowing I am in an excellent fat %. Good Luck
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Thanks for the information,sounds like I'll call around to local gym and see if they do it and how much it costs. Thanks again.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    those are very difficult to use properly. and even harder to do by yourself. there are many ways to measure body fat, most are unreliable. i use the electrode resistance one at the Y each month.