How often do you you have a DAY OFF from working out?

Options
I recently began a fitness program, and I want to lose 45 lbs. I want to work out every day but I know my body needs a break every now and then, I just went 7 days in a row to the gym with one day off, is this average, or should I take a break more often or less often? Help Please?

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    One full rest day a week for me.

The rest is sort of coordinating the schedule... for instance not running on consecutive days, no hard leg strength training before a long bike ride etc etc.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like to do less exercise on Sunday. I like to think it is a day of rest. Although I will still exercise a little I don't push myself as hard. Maybe a 15 min. walk instead of 45 min.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday possible. Sometimes I can't because of travel but as long as my body is willing, I will. I let my body tell me when I can't/shouldn't.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule off days. My workout requires differing amounts of rest depending on which muscle groups I work. I do good with 3 days between legs and back, and 2 days for core, and 1 day for everything else. It all depends on the recovery times the body parts need. I get a much better workout if I rest when needed.

If I do something recreational, like biking, swimming, or running from the po po, then I of course don't workout those days.

I would think you could do cardiovascular as often as you wanted?
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    I work out everyday during the week at the gym, but I switch it up and do upper body one day, lower the next and mix in weights. I do yoga and walk or running on the weekends.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    you should have at least 1 day of rest and recovery.. you dont want to overwork yourself! I try for at LEAST 5 days a week and I may workout 6 days but w one day being "lower" intensity workout and then one full day to just relax and rest. it varys, every week is going to be different.. you cant be 100% 360 days a yr just make every effort to get in at least 5 days a week and thats more than enuff, specially if your getting in in hr or more and working out pretty intensely on those days. Just dont push yourself to the point of fatique, listen to your body! it all depends on you and how much you can do
  • angiezee
    angiezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work out 6x a week. I leave Saturdays off, usually because I'm so busy with kids sports games. But my hubby and I usually go for a late night walk on Saturday. It's ok to take one day off. Just watch your calorie intake.
  • adamthaler
    Options
    I started my program on January 3rd and had been doing 5x a week and taking the weekends off. My workouts were very intense cardio on M, W, F and lighter strength training and cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. As of last week I am now up to 6x per week at the advice of my trainer. Still doing the intense cardio on M, W, and F, but have now added a very light hour workout on either Saturday or Sunday.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I workout at least five, usually six, days a week for at least an hour each day. Wednesday is always a rest day for me (I don't like the spin instructors who teach on Wednesday, so that's how Wednesday came to be my day off). By Tuesday night my body is tired, so I need the break!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about cardio, you don't technically need a day off. I went 28 days solid when I first started working out (21 days to build a habit, and then I did an extra week just because). If you're doing weight training it's best to at least alternate days you work specific muscle groups, but I'd still recommend one day a week off from weight training for body recovery.

That said, I tend to do 6 days a week with Fridays as my night off since that's typically the night we'd have plans. Lately I've been taking one-two days off simply because it's been a stressful time at work and I want the downtime since I typically work out right after work. But I also try to mix things up with what I do for cardio. Between steady state runs, intervals runs, interval elliptical and steady state stationary biking. Just so I never get bored and also so my body never settles into a specific routine. Though, I do more running than any of the other just because I like it more. :)

And for weights, I do three times a week. And each night I do both upper and lower body, alternating between the two between reps. And then use the days off in between.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    4-6 Days a week depending on my schedule, but Cardio everyday, and weight lifting 3-5 days a week.
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should do the amount of days/week that you will be able to stick to for the long term. In the past, I have done the cyclical thing (work out really hard for a few months and then fade). Now I have decided that exercise is a way of life and have been consistent for the last year +. I aim for 5-6 days a week. I usually take Sundays off and the occasional off day. If you feel like you can do 7 days/week without getting burned out, great! Otherwise, you should find what level of exercise works for YOU. Good luck on your journey.