Verge of giving up

Options
As many of us do, we love to see results. Well, I'm not seeing any!! Since my boyfriend and I have stopped eating out he is losing weight like it's a piece of cake, and he isn't even trying. Me on the other hand...well...no such luck. Since I've seriously changed my eating habits and I've been exercising 3 times a week, which was 2-21-11, I've lost about 3 pounds. I'm sure most of you will say that is plenty for 2 weeks, but with the drastic change in eating habits, I would have expected more for the first 2 weeks. Maybe I shouldn't expect to lose any...I don't know, I'm simply frustrated!

I just need some encouragement, accountability, and reassurance that I'm dong the right thing. I know it is the right thing, especially when I can't fit into any of my clothes and for the general health of myself.

Thank you.

Replies

• cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating enough food? Are you exercising?
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Awww, I would hate to see you give up! First of all you can't look at your boyfriends loss and experience it will drive you nuts! lol. Theres lots of ideas running around here, sometimes it's tough to find the right combo of stuff, getting lots of water and watching sodium and caffiene, has always been extremely huge for me, if I don't watch it, then not much else is going to work for me. It will keep me stagnant if I'm not careful.
  • durlingkristi
    Options
    You might have put on some muscle as well. Don't go by weight, go by measurements :smile:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say whether or not you are doing the right thing without more information. What are you eating? How many calories? How much water are you drinking? What's your sodium intake like? What kind of exercise are you doing and how long are your workouts? I would suggest opening up your diary - at least to your friends - so people can give you better info.

The other thing is that you were right when you said that 3 pounds in 2 weeks is good. A HEALTHY AND SUSTAINABLE rate of weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. You'll have weeks when you lose more and weeks when you lose less. Don't get frustrated though. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Let me know if I can be of help in any way. Good luck reaching your goals and - since you live in Columbia - GO TIGERS!!!!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    #1 you are doing the right thing by exercising and making healthy choices regardless of the weightloss
    #2 sometimes it takes a while for your body to catch up with your new habits
    #3 be patient with yourself...all good things come to those who wait
    #4 drink a lot of water and make sure you know the correct serving size and the correct calories...don't trust the entries on MFP...some of them are not correct
    #5 3 lbs is a great loss!
    #6 you are worth the effort to make you healthier and happier.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    You have lost 9 pounds so far, that is way to great to give up on. Keep on going, you CAN do this!
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Men don't have the same issues that we have...some of them can drop weight like a cr@ckhead, but it will come off for you...there may be some trial and error as is with us all, but just remember that slow and steady wins the race...anytime the scale goes DOWN, you're doin' okay!!!:huh:
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, follow the website, log all of your calories. You will see results. If it was easy everyone would be thin, tan and ready for the beach.
    It is a lot of hard work, good job on your loss so far. Keep at it and you will see the results you want.
  • CarPol
    CarPol Posts: 5
    Options
    Keep going. I find the 6 week mark is the best when you and others start to notice you are losing the inches and looking healthier. Eat less and move more...and don't compare yourself to anyone else. Good Luck!

16 pounds lost since 11th Jan.
  • jmdale84
    jmdale84 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know it's tough, but you're not always going to see the huge results you're expecting right off the bat. I know I get discouraged sometimes because I watch shows like the biggest loser and think they are login so fast! But it's different for everyone, and you may have a week or two where you lose very little and then boom the next week it's five or ten pounds. Just keep the faith and keep working.
    And remember that's three pounds less than when you started and that's a start!

Anything worth having is worth working hard for. Just be realistic and realize that every single pound lost is reason to celebrate. You didn't gain the weight in two weeks and it's not going to come off in two weeks. Just be patient and don't give up!!
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    Measurements or a body fat% scale would help, I bet. I like to use the mantra "keep going, keep going, keep going" and maybe focus on how you feel better/can workout more, etc. But don't beat yourself up, your journey is just unique to you. :tongue:
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Keep Going...I'm exactly the same in that i never have that great initial weight loss....but steadily it is coming off. I know it's really hard to keep motivated but it will come of just persevere :-)
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    How have you changed your diet? Are you cooking for yourself? Have you shifted to more fruits, veggies, protein and fewer carbs? Watch out for sugar and salt in processed food.

Cj
  • posherspice
    posherspice Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Men always seem to make a quicker start than women - don't know why this is, but I've seen it several times. So don't measure your success by your partner's! If you are being honest with your recording, your body will catch up. Don't know where you are in your cycle but that can also make a difference - the week before my period I never lose anything, but the middle week of my cycle it all comes good again.

Anyway, don't give up, you've made a great start!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Think about this - if you keep losing at a rate of 3lbs every 2 weeks - by May 1 you will have lost 15 LBS! Woot Woot!

Keep up the good work, come here often for advice and guidance, and let us celebrate with you!

:drinker:

Ice
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 64oz of water daily.

No you haven't gained muscle. That is impossible without a calorie surplus, heavy weight lifting and lots and lots of protein. In fact, dieting and calorie restriction will make you lose muscle mass along with fat. Strength training and upping your protein can hopefully help prevent that. (It takes mass amounts of calories, lots of protein and hours and hours of weight lifting each week for men to build muscle. It's even worse for women).

Check your sodium too. That will cause water retention. You do need to give it more time though. Men lose weight much easier than women. Our bodies were designed to hold onto fat. I lost and gained 3 pounds for two months then late January it just started melting off.

Make sure you NET calories are above 1200. You don't have to eat back all of your exercise calories, just make sure to stay above this number. This is a general baseline number for Starvation Mode and a good number to go by. You go under for too long and your body responds by slowing your metabolism down. This can slow down weight loss.

And please be patient. It took a long time to put the weight on. It will take a while to get it off THE HEALTHY and SUSTAINABLE WAY!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Please don't worry about the boyfriends weight dropping. My hubby is the same, he can drink beer eat chips and crap and still lose it without trying. Men do lose weight easier than women. Concentrate on you and your long term goal, make sure you are drinking enough water and if you are not already track your sodium. I wasn't tracking sodium and it's a killer.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You might have put on some muscle as well. Don't go by weight, go by measurements :smile:

Its incredibly hard to build muscle on reduced calories. especially in 2 weeks time. Strength training will help protect muscles on low calorie, but will be estremely hard to actually build. Reduced cals and cardio causes muscle loss, not gain.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I know it's tough, but you're not always going to see the huge results you're expecting right off the bat. I know I get discouraged sometimes because I watch shows like the biggest loser and think they are login so fast! But it's different for everyone, and you may have a week or two where you lose very little and then boom the next week it's five or ten pounds. Just keep the faith and keep working.
    And remember that's three pounds less than when you started and that's a start!

Anything worth having is worth working hard for. Just be realistic and realize that every single pound lost is reason to celebrate. You didn't gain the weight in two weeks and it's not going to come off in two weeks. Just be patient and don't give up!!

They are losing fast because they work out every day for hours and hours. Not everyone has that kind of time.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Be patient, you'll get it.

Don't weigh yourself everyday. It's always very discouraging to me to learn that I haven't lost weight. It makes me highly suscpetible to a binge. For that reason, I only weigh myself once a week. For you, maybe you should take a break from the scale for a bit and keep up your healthy lifestyle and then weigh yourself again in two weeks. Just a thought. :flowerforyou: