Need vegetarian ideas, please help!

Options
RedVelvetCurls
RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
I'm quitting the joy that is meat for Lent this year. I'm still eating fish, as last time I was very ill when I quit both meat and fish... So I need some easy/simple recipes for vegetarian or fish based meals!

Can anyone help me?

Replies

• blobrien
    blobrien Posts: 7
    Options
    Women's Health home page has some yummy recipes up today. If you can invest in a cook book I HIGHLY recommend "Vegan with a Vengeance." Her recipes are all so yummy and even I can cook them. Her pancakes are killer!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Black bean tacos. Just sub beans instead of meat. Veggie stir fry. Pasta.

My fave pasta dish:
    Fussili pasta
    Sauteed some cherry toms (cut in half) in some fresh garlic and olive oil. Add a bad of baby spinach until wilted.

Mix cooked pasta in with veggies. Add some shredded parm and asiago cheese.

Eat! :)
  • WhitMcMo
    WhitMcMo Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there! I find that one of the easiest ways to transition from meat-eating to vegetarianism and/or veganism is to modify recipes you already love with non-dairy or meat-free items such as Quorn products and Daiya cheese. There are also wonderful egg substitutes on the market these days. Start with making chili or meat sauce for spaghetti, and substituting Quorn meat and soy-free crumbles for your ground beef. You'll never miss it. I don't know how comfortable you may be in the kitchen, but I have loads of more involved recipes if you'd like them. But that's how we started...just subbing things in. Casseroles and pastas, cottage pies etc are all easy to make vegetarian. :) BTW, luv your hat!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    Options
    Thanks everyone, and thanks WhitiMcMo! That hat was in a shop in Edinburgh, it was too expensive for me so I just had a photo taken. :tongue:

I'm a fairly good cook so fire away with those recipes! :laugh:
  • MomoLambkin
    MomoLambkin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi HayleyFace,

It really depends on what your definition of easy/simple is! And are you cooking for yourself? Or for a family? Are you looking for freezable lunch ideas? Or dinner? Or all of the above? My lazy day dinner involves half a can of Campbell's reduced fat cream of mushroom soup with a cup of frozen veggies and a quarter block of tofu, plus some toasted pita bread, but then I cook for myself and that might not work if you have a family to feed. Pasta is always quick if you're cooking for more than one, but not necessarily low calorie. The best freezable lunch that doesn't take long to prepare (one pot) is vegetarian chili on quinoa (which is a grain that is cooked like rice, but is a whole protein).

I'm vegetarian, and I like to go to www.smittenkitchen.com for recipe ideas even though the writer there isn't vegetarian. Her recipes are easy to follow and the food is always tasty. However, not always the simplest or fastest meals. My favourite vegetarian recipes of hers are the mushroom bourguignon (takes about an hour to perpare if you have the right ingredients) and the succotash.

I also use www.theppk.com (Post Punk Kitchen) as a resource. Their recipes are vegan (meaning no eggs or dairy) which are generally lower in calories except when cashews or other high calorie nuts are used.

The one thing that I find the most challenging about being vegetarian *and* calorie counting is to make sure I am getting the right mix of protein. Some vegetable protein sources like chickpeas and beans need to be paired with something else in order to get the full benefit of their nutrients. Check out this article that explains how this works: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2467.html
    If you pair your veggies, starch, and protein properly, you will feel full and satisfied for a longer period of time.

Best of luck, and good eating!
  • XxKrizzehxX
    Options
    Rachel Ray has alot of recipes that might help like:
    Stuffed peppers just change out the meat and cheese for a flavored rice
    3 bean chilli
    portobello burgers with roasted pepper paste

She tells you how to substitue things in her recipes and make them vegetarian friendly :)
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    There is a lot of good recipes on this site

http://ohsheglows.com/recipes/
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am a lifelong vegetarian (and newly vegan), so I have a lot of recipes up my sleeve! However, last night I tried something new-- baked sweet potato fries, and black bean burgers, with a side of "creamy" dressing. It was so good that my omnivore boyfriend was upset when there were no leftovers! I found both recipes online:

Chili Lime Sweet Potato Fries:
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=30757.0

Vegan Black Bean Burgers:
    http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/05/vegan-bean-burger-recipe.html

I substituted the pumpkin seeds in the burgers with raw sunflower seeds, and left out the cinnamon. I also cut both recipes in half, since I was only cooking for two. I made up a vegan dressing by mixing a half cup of plain soy yogurt with a little lemon juice, black pepper, cumin, curry powder, and dried basil (you could probably use regular yogurt rather than soy).

SO GOOD!
  • RedVelvetCurls
    Options
    Wow, thank you very much everyone! These ideas are going to make my month so much easier! I tip my hat to you all! :drinker:
  • sugarbunnie
    Options
    I've been mostly vegan almost my whole life, once in a while I sneak in a little rennet-less cheese (Whole Foods has a vegetarian feta that is really nice when I'm craving cheese, I guess it's just exciting because I'd never seen a rennet-less feta before, so I'd never had it). i'm also gluten free. I never eat any of the "fake meat" products, and I'm not super into tofu or legumes... my restricted diet definitely used to present some challenges, but I've been at it so long I can make just about anything and rarely ever feel bored with my options.

epicurious has a surprising quantity of veg-friendly meals. the "carrot ginger dressing" recipe is something i always have on hand to dress up plain steamed veggies (I make it every week, each recipe makes about seven 1/4c servings). My favorite dish is 1.2c brown rice or quinoa topped with a heaping pile of steamed broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, bean sprouts, and carrot, sometimes a few pieces of plain tofu. I ladle on the sauce and it's heaven.

I keep meaning to try the recipe with half the peanut oil (subbing in water) to see if I can cut back on cals a little, as it is it's only 119cal/serving. Also, I use wheat-free tamari and cut that in half with water too to save the sodium.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Carrot-Ginger-Dressing-233572

There's also an incredible Leek-Tomato Quinoa recipe on epicurious that I thought was insanely delcious:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Leek-Tomato-Quinoa-108583

goneraw is another great site (it's raw recipes, but many are very easy to make)
  • sugarbunnie
    Options
    Oh, and by the way - the theory that you needed to "pair" certain foods to get the right mix of amino acids in one meal to make a complete protein was long ago debunked. Science has since shown that the human body can actually "pool" nutrients, meaning: you can eat your rice one day, and beans on another, and you'll be just fine. :wink:
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi-- I love this recipe and lentils are nice and filling. It helps to stir a few times as these are baking.

Baked honey lentils

This is a delicious, different way to enjoy lentils, and tastes great on its own or served over rice, quinoa or couscous. The aromatic mix of flavours makes it a satisfying meal that the whole family will love- and with only 194 calories per serve, it fits in perfectly with your diet plan.

What you’ll need…

1 cup lentils
    2 cups water
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp honey (can be replaced with maple syrup or agave nectar)
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
    Salt and pepper to taste
    (This recipe makes 4 servings)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a baking dish.
    Cover and cook in the oven at 170 degrees C/325 F for about an hour and a half, or until tender.
    Serve and enjoy!
    (Alternatively, you can cook it in a saucepan on the stovetop, on medium-low heat for 40-60 minutes until tender)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would check out: neverhomemaker.com for some recipes.

It is a mostly all vegan blog with the occasional fish recipe (perfect for you!)

Vegan sloppy joes: http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/04/vegan-sloppy-joes.html

Veggie Behemoth: http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/01/veggie-behemoth-lover.html

Vegan brownies: http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/10/change-your-life-vegan-brownies-and.html

Vegan pancakes: http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2009/11/wheat-oat-pancakes.html

I have always been pleased with their recipes (even though I'm not vegan) but sometimes they are relatively unhealthy. Usually I will just use healthier substitutions and everything is fine!

P.S. Don't forget that jello is off limits as a vegan!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    try meatlessmonday.com they have recipes for breakfast, lunch & dinner :smile:
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have found really good recipes at fatfreevegan.com
  • WhitMcMo
    Options
    Glad to share these recipes with everyone, but please credit back as I did develop them myself. Thanks! xx

Roasted Buttercup Squash Soup
    by Whitney McCrum-Morrison on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at 4:37pm
    1 lg buttercup squash, seeded and cut in half. Rub with olive oil and roast on 450 for 45 mins.

1 head garlic roasted in parchment same as squash

1 tbsp better than bullion veg base

1 bunch cilantro (stems n all)

1 tsp kosher salt

1 inch fresh grated ginger

Put it all in the processor or a blender with a quart or less of hot water (eyeball it) and process til smooth.
    This could be made into a bisque by adding a little cream. This also is amazing over pasta.

The following recipe is approximate (because y'all know I cook by sense of smell). And note this is not completely vegan because I used a teaspoon of beef "base" aka congealed stock.

1 jar salsa (12oz or so)
    (I used Pace because our tomatoes died last summer)
    2 quarts water
    2 tsp beef base
    1 onion
    3 giant garlic cloves
    1 palmful of dried Mexican oregano
    2 dried chiles- crushed
    12 oz rehydrated black beans
    2 cups frozen or fresh corn
    2 cups TVP/ Quorn Crumbles or ground beef if you eat meat
    Chop onion and add to good evoo in an almost smoking pan. Add corn and char both. Turn down the heat, brown the Quorn crumbles or TVP. Dump in everything else. Simmer for 1 hour.

While that's getting happy, chop 2 green onions and a handful of fresh cilantro. Crush 1 small garlic clove with salt until you make a paste. Add garlic, onion, and cilantro to 1 cup non-dairy sour cream/greek yogurt/sour cream (your pref). Add juice of 1/2 lime.

Chop a stack of tortillas in quarters, toss with more evoo and salt. Bake 400 until crisp.

Ladel soup into bowls, top with cilantro cream and chips.

Whit's Veg "Latkes""
    by Whitney McCrum-Morrison on Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 6:31pm
    In a large bowl, shred the following :
    1/2 white onion
    2 large carrots
    1 huge sweet potato
    1/2 green bell pepper
    2 stalks celery

Add:
    1 cup fresh chopped parsley
    2 cups bread crumbs
    1 cup Daiya non-dairy mozz shreds
    3 eggs
    1 tbs Mediterranean Seasoned Sea Salt

Mix and form patties. Fry in hot evoo til crispy. Or spray with Pam and bake 425 for @15 mins per side (I haven't baked them, so try it and see)
    Serve with a little tomato chutney or plain (might be good with non-dairy sour cream too!)

Whit's Three Bean Pot Recipe
    by Whitney McCrum-Morrison on Friday, May 28, 2010 at 11:28am
    1.5 cups each of garbanzos, black beans, pintos (or cannellini) soaked
    6 small-med carrots
    1 large onion
    2 huge cloves garlic
    hambone
    16 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 box organic chick or veg broth
    olive oil

Herbs (I don't measure, so just try it and adjust to your taste)
    celery seed (because I was out of celery)
    dried herbs de provence
    salt and pepper

Quick soak beans. Sautee veg. Add herbs to veg. When veg is soft, add rest of ingredients. Bake in a dutch oven for 2 hours at 350.

Serve over a whole grain of your choice (barley, buckwheat, quinoa, brown rice)

Sorry so long, but these are some easy, universal ones!
  • WhitMcMo
    Options
    shoot, better leave the ham hock outta that last one! just make sure you use all veg stock or you'll lose the flavor...