Stay at home mom trying not to over eat

Options
Okay, so I've decided not to beat myself up for consuming 1500 calories today, when I'm supposed to stay at 1200. I was thinking of what I could delete from my dinner, in which I deleted the rice. All of a sudden I had the munchies as I've been reading, "Glass Menagerie" for school. I'm a stay at home mom and try not to over eat. Some of you burn tons of calories exercising and stay within your calorie intake. How in the world do you do it? Help!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I break my workouts up. Most days it's 30 minutes twice a day. If I'm feeling brave, it's 3 times a day.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    why dont u do an areobic dvd from home x
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    lol one word self control! Just kidding if you find a way let me know.....It is very difficult :(
  • Tcasillas
    Tcasillas Posts: 30
    Options
    i use dvd workouts or exercisetv on demand while my daughter takes a nap. Today i used jillian micheals burn fat boost metabolism work out for about 20 mins and i burn almost 300 calories.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i do online schooling and when i read my book i will walk on the treadmill.
  • adalton6
    adalton6 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually get up and do something when I get the juncture and then when I am done with what I am doing if i am hungry still then I eat a snack. I usually try to get my kids to exercise with me. This is always fun! We love going for walks and they love exercising on my gym system. Get your kids involved!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I usually workout when my youngest(15months) is taking a nap and my oldest (5 yrs.) I have talked to him and he understands the importance of exercise and allows me to work out! I usually get in about 50 minutes to an hour. I just do work out DVD's in the winter month, I really like them. In the spring and summer I walk/jog. Somedays are harder than others. I have a few dvd's that are shorter so on days that just aren't going my way I have something I can do that gets my heart rate up, they last about 33-35 minutes. Everyday is different for a stay at home mom. We have to roll with the punches. Hope this helps! Good luck tomorrow!!
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too, while I don't spend more than 35 minutes exercising because I don't want to spend my entire day doing that. I pretty meal plan from the get go. So I put everything into my Diary before lunch and try my best to stick to it. I drink a lot of water as well, today I'll be at around 80 oz of water (which helps keep you full). You might want to look into what you are eating, I notice when I eat things that aren't as healthy because I am hungry an hour or two after I eat it. But if I eat more healthy foods I am fuller longer. My calorie goal is 1340 which most days I could easily make, I did 35 minutes of walking at a brisk pace which burned 247 calories so technically I need to eat another 200ish calories.

I started on Weight Watchers before finding this site, my advice is to change out the bad food you might be eating into better food. That food is going to go longer than the bad food. Start slow, and don't beat yourself up if you have bad days.

Exercise wise, I usually use a DVD like the 30 day shred, and a lot of times I can do that with my son instead of waiting until he naps or goes to bed (he's 2). It's a good workout and only takes 25 minutes!
  • rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    It is so hard to not over eat or eat healthy when you are a stay at home mom. I try to wake up at do 30 minutes on the wii fit. Then if I can't get anything else in at least I know I did something. Good luck!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! Its hard when you are home all day to eat and eat and eat, at least thats how I am. When I am bored, I eat. I am just now starting to clean up my eating habits. I exercise when my son naps, and its no more than a 45 min. exercise. I don't have many suggestions for you yet because I am new to this!! Best of luck
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home Mom too. I do a boot camp class twice a week at 7:45 at night. My husband is very supportive and puts the kids to bed so that I can go. Otherwise, I just do the best I can. Sometimes I can get a workout in during the afternoon, but there's lots of interruptions. Usually I just have to wait until the kids go to bed at 8:00.

As for controlling calories, well, I'm not the best at it. Today I'm doing really well. I think the trick (for me, at least) is to have low calorie breakfast and lunch because I KNOW I will snack regardless. So for breakfast I had oatmeal with a teaspoon of brown sugar and cinnamon (~200 cals) and for lunch I had a salad with strawberries, Parmesan, and homemade balsamic vinagrette (~200 cals). Pretty healthy right? Well, add in the peppermint caramel (75 cals) and the Snyder's Mustard and Onion Pretzel Pieces (~140) and I'm leaving myself with only about 500 cals for the rest of the day. If I can squeeze in a workout tonight, I'll be just fine.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am a work-at-home mom and struggle some days to stay out of the kitchen. I developed a bad habit of going and getting something to eat any time of day, once I wasn't busy with my work. This is very hard to break. I am going to try to pre-measure and pre-package my food just like I was going out to work, hopefully this will help. As far as working out, I have been doing DVD's, but I have to do it late, after everyone settles down.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM too - and although normally I don't have a problem munching b/c I don't buy munchie things, when my parents are in town they buy "treats" that I can't seem to stay away from.
    Exercising, I just do it while the kids are napping. If I can't do it then, I do it when they go to bed and let my husband know I have to do it then. He used to give me grief about it, but now that he knows how important it is for my mental health as well as physical - he just finds something to do for an hour.

It really does take motivation and dedication - but also a willingness to allow wiggle room and that the more you beat yourself up,the more you will continue the behavior that got you here in the first place.
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom..... I find if I keep myself busy it helps me to keep the snacking under control. My little one naps every afternoon and I make myself workout while shes napping.... that's my "me" time..... what better way to spend a little "me" time then by making myself healthy and feel better about myself!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I always have a cup of cold water in the fridge so whenever I open the fridge to snack I end up drinking a glass of water instead. Maybe it's mental but it helps. Also, preventing yourself from being extremely hungry helps too. Snack on things like yogurt and fruits to prevent from binging.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies! I see I'm not alone in this. I made a committment to start working out at least 6 days a week starting last week, so I'm ok exercise wise. However, on 300 burn days like pilates or water aerobics, I REALLY have to watch it. I've been told tme & time again to increase my water intake. It's been a struggle, but I will try that and hopefully don't focus so much on my meals.
  • maddiesmommy1111
    Options
    Not sure if your a tea drinker..but if I have the munchies after I have eaten my calorie intake for the day I will make a cup of tea black with 1 splenda. Usually I crave sweets after my calories are done for the day...if I need something more I add a touch of milk so it's creamy that usually helps me! Hope this helps you!!
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I like green tea. I will try it.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I am a stay at home mum too of a 14 month old and a 33 month old. I do a lot of walking, normally about 90 minutes a day and take my boys out. Thankfully, we are having nice (if cold) weather at present. I know it is easier said than done when it is raining/snowing all day. I normally do about an hours exercise about 9.30/10.00 at night, once the boys are asleep and we have had something to eat. I try to burn 600 - 800 calories a day.

Good luck on your weight loss venture :)