calorie counting help

Options
i am 235lbs and it says on this site that i can eat 1200 calories...I feel like I am starving! Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• nikkionamission
    Options
    I struggle to keep in my calories when I keep to 1200. I always try to do a bit of exercise as it gives you more calories to play with!
    :smile:
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    hight, age
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How much did you put that you want to lose per week? Maybe your goal is too high if you're starving.
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    I am like you, I am 237 and have 1330 cals to start with each day. I eat lots of protein (like over 100 grams a day) and it keeps me really satisfied. I also exercise everyday so that I can eat more. It works for me. :)
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i do feel like i am starving at times. i have been sticking to low cal snacks, like 50 to 100 calories, so that if i feel like i am starving i drink a glass of water and if i am still hungry can snack on a little something. i know in time it will be better and my stomach will be used to the smaller meals. good luck!
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    Exercise is the key to earning more calories for me. I work out so I can eat lol I'm hungry a lot so I drink a lot of water. I try to go for healthy foods like salads so I can eat more at one sitting than a small portion of something not so healthy. You should be exercising to help with your weight loss and health so you'll earn more calories that way. good luck.
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try eating things that are more filling. For example, I do 1 packet of Quaker Instant Oats (various flavors) and that's usually less than 200 calories for breakfast and it stays with me a long time. I try to drink my first 4 cups of water before noon too.

But it seems odd it has you at 1200 calories, as it tells me going below that will put me in starvation mode. Of course, I'm new to this, and height and age probably has more to do with it. Are you lacking in protein? Frigo String Cheese is a nice low-cal snack, only 80 cal. Also, low-fat/butter popcorn, is pretty low cal and still filling, if you need a snack to make it through to the next meal. My friend who is doing weight watchers says they give free points for raw fruits and veggies. Maybe you could try eating those between meals for a week and not worry about the calories that count against you (mind you, it has to be raw, so no dipping them in anything) and see if you're still losing weight otherwise?

Best of luck. The oatmeal breakfast has worked wonders for me, since I'm free to eat 400-500 calorie meals for lunch and dinner and a few snacks in between. Maybe some whole wheat toast with only honey on it? Whatever happens, don't give up, you can do this!
  • meggie151
    Options
    hi i am new to this iam 190lbs and have been advised to consume 1200 calories, daily were do i start?? any advise would be most welcome thanks
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    How much did you put that you want to lose per week? Maybe your goal is too high if you're starving.

I agree....a loss of 1lb per week usually gives you a higher daily calorie allowance!!! Which is much more realistic and achievable...
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I am actually the opposite, I feel like I have to eat almost all day to hit my 1200 calories. Make sure you are eating healthy, nutrient rich foods. Things that are high in fiber and protein keep you fuller longer, and vegetables you can eat a ton of before they calculate into any major amount of calories. Take a look at the recipe section...I have learned a lot about good foods from there, things that I have never tried before and now love! Good Luck!
  • Chrissynee
    Chrissynee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I mostly have problems with the cravings not actually being hungry.I am also heavy and I have 1390 cal a day ,I find that I don't eat most of my calories and have never gotten into my workout Calories. I only do about 20 mintues a day 7 days a week on my eliptical and I eat about 1000-1200 of my calories a day. I usually save some of my calories for a small snack. I found if I find something to replace things it helps ,like cookies I eat a crunchy granola bar .I have not changed what I eat much except for portion controls so that may help. I have gotten down 20 lbs in 35 days.

3878486.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It has my calorie count as 1490 a day and I have a hard time hitting 1200. But I am 5 foot 8 and 241 pounds...I also work as a manager at Walmart so I am constantly walking at work...maybe thats why it has my calorie goal as high as it is. I have found also that if I am having a hunger pain I will drink water and eat a few baby carrots and slices of cucumber.