Calorie Question

Options
As of now, my daily caloric intake goal is about 1450. I'm usually under this goal, but I was wondering if there is a certain number that I shouldn't drop below. I know that if you do not consume enough calories in a day, then you put your body at risk of going into starvation mode. I usually average between 1200 - 1300 in a given day. Is this a reasonable amount? My BMI is 32 - I'm about 199 lbs. and 5'6". My current goal is to lose 2 lbs per week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Don't drop below 1200 NET calories.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    no less than 1200
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Guys generally shouldn't eat below 1500. 1200 is for girls. what is your profile set at? if it is set at 1500 don't drop below that. Especially for your weight class. did MFP manually set your calories at 1450 or is that a goal you set for yourself?
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    don't go below 1200 for sure. Figure what your BMR is and maybe stick to that. There is a calculator for that in tools . That is what your body burns just doing nothing, I figure being you probably do have activities then that would be extra????
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I am male and also the same height. I started at 190 and average 2 pounds per week since November when I started. I eat 1,500 calories per day through six meals a day with a 2,000 calorie day each Friday. And I still loose weight pretty rapidly. I am considering going to 1,750 calories per day just to slow down the weight loss.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    MFP automatically calculated my calorie goal of 1450. According to my BMR and activity level, MFP calculated my calorie burn for the day to be 2450 - that would make a 1000 calorie defecit each day for my 2 lbs. weight loss goal each week. I'm wondering if I should manually adjust this number. Thanks for your help!